Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Building Projects

Options
  • 27-10-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi everyone, just creating a few threads because the limerick city section seems to be a bit dead at the moment. I made this thread so the members could contribute any insider information they have on building projects which are bound to spring up around the city over the coming years. I will start the speculation by saying I heard that the ESB building is due to be demolished and another Riverpoint- style building is going to be constructed to enhance the riverside even more. Developers are making a real effort to create a new, dynamic aspect of the city with the riverside at its focal point. Theres actually a cool contrast on either side of the Sarsfield bridge with what appears to be the new, modern aspect of the city on the right with the striking Riverpoint and Clarion buildings. You can also see the City central project has soared above Harvey's key and can be seen as your heading into Limerick and the old, medieval part of Limerick on the left with King Johns castle and also the Hunt museum. Any more news besides the Opera Centre which should be renamed the Eternity centre as it seems it will have its grand opening in the next millenium. Fair play to the developers:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Wow, that's good news :)

I would imagine that, the best use of the ESB site, is to have many sectional compenants separated to make a high rise like St.Georges quay in Dublin.

As this site would have dual frontage, one facing Henry street and the other facing the river.

I.e On street level, it would have 8 - 9 storey's then have the tower elements rising from 20 - 28 storeys at set back and towards the river. East tower should be the highest, as it will blend in with the Riverpoint complex adjacent. I would also imagine, that the ESB site would well to want to take the title off of Cork, to have the tallest tower in Ireland again, since Limerick started the trend in recent years:D

Any ideas? This should be a promising scheme. What are the people of Limerick saying? huh, more vision is needed, if this is to be a breathtaking project. This plot of land, I'm sure is a real diamond for national developers :D

How is the Hanging gardens development going on Henry's street, the recent development that is going on? I wasn't a fan of it in the beginning going by the plan, with the Box type look, but I'm hoping it will look better in real life. any updates? :)
    Any news on the last remaining underdeveloped sites on Henry street, such as Symths, any vision for these building's. Henry street seems to get attention from Developers on a national level.

What I like about the recent city developments. Is that there is in fact alot of what's proposed and newly built are high quality and high density. If only much more of derelicts slots left.

Henry street just feels like a European city street to me, not to sure why I get that feeling. But it was defenately not the Henry street 11 years ago!

Are land values rising in the city centre, it does seem that investment is still very attractive, no matter what corner of the CBD, whether's is Corbally, Riverfront, the Georgion, or the back streets such as Thomas street, there seems to be investment and redevelopment evenly divided in many parts of the city, which is a good thing to see.

In Other news, I did hear rumours, that the Arthurs quay project, is still in the stakes, and the developers are very keen to develop this plot. It's is probably even more valuable in land than, even Opera S.C. In addition, Once Opera is in, I think Arthurs quay will have to be knocked. What should be there is a square or a plaza, the heart of the city. Which naturally is in fact. Build on Arthurs quay park and replace with riverside walks etc, and have a viewing point on one of the towers that is proposed. (in the recent pics, showing a building around 15 storys on the park) Have the park moved to where the footfall is at where the Arthurs quay S.C fronts to O'Connell Street. This is logic and it makes much more sense. Arthurs quay doesn't fit as a park, it should of just been a riverside walk.

Anyway that's my two cent's for now :)

Off to bed. But I'm sure Limerick is looking promising over the tough times ahead, I can see great changes in the city coming over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

which of the recently started projects are actually finished and full with tenants?

OPERA? yeah right...
    Parkway? - LOL
    Coonagh?- chuckle
    Riverpoint? - still half emtpty
    Park Hotel? - a skeleton
    caherdevin beside the dunnes? - half empty
    ballysimon road? - the same
    east retail park? - see above

and then developers come and want to build another tower on the old ESB shop? who is supposed to be in there? shops? offices? flats? hotel?
    what shops? who is going to fill the already existing office spaces? looking for flats anyone - go to the hilton/strand hotel! there are definately not enough struggling hotels in limerick - we need another one!

the AQ project is the biggest joke ever. some megalomania of a developer. or maybe the 2nd biggest after the OPERA

they should leave AQ as it is: an open space in the heart of the city! teh idea behind the amphitheatre-style is not bad bud scarce used as such. considering the views to the castle etc some grass and a few trees instead of that ugly grey concrete would give more value to that spot then another couple of empty office buildings. and dont say there will be shops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 irishman2008

Ya I agree, AQ park seems very disorganised and way too open, i know that sounds bad but the City Council need only take 1 look at The Peoples Park and remodel the entire AQ park on that layout, just on a smaller scale. That park is well maintened, brilliantly designed and a pleasure to walk through. Maybe that is because it actually resembles a park, on the other hand AQ looks like a badly planned open space with a few cheap trees scattered around to look like something, definetly not a park though. Removing the railings was a step forward, but they should either remodel, and I mean extensively remodel the entire space properly or turn the site into another quarter of the city, and move the park itself somwhere where more than 10 people may frequent it every day.

Nowadays it seems like people may occasionaly go in eating lunch at dinner time but you dont see many people actually strolling through, and maybe that is because it is a health hazard entering that park after 6pm when the homeless and whinos congregrate for some ritualistic animal killings. :D No but seriously it is very dangerous after that time because I know people who got mugged there a few times, the people use the alias of ''can i use your fone a minute'' and anyone who stupidly enough actually lets them use it will find them doing olympic speeds running out the gate grinning with their newfound phone. The park has so much potential but one of the reasons I think its not getting much attention is because of the absolute appaling state that Liddy Street is in. And the effect of that street is slowly creeping up and casting its shadow on Sarsfield Street, a once decent street that is turning into another ghetto. City Council seriously needs to get its act together and it seems like members of these boards would make far better city planners than the twats that are employed to do so.

The main thourofare into the city now has the lovely welcoming image of a horrible, dilapadated Dunnes Building which seems like its made out of LEGO, and on the other side a closed hotel building. In one sense placing increased interest and effort on Bedford Row is a good thing but it is causing the other decent streets to become bleak, run down shadows of their former selves with maybe one or 2 shops remaining instead of full occupancy. Nearly all of the main routes in the city are dominated by lifeless, dead streets with many boarded up signs ie Patrick Street, Upper William street is not very pleasing on the eye and it probaly wont be long until theres drives bys on our main O Connell street which will be referenced as ''Da Hood'' in a few years to come if those fools dont get their act together.

The councillors seem to want to remain in office for as long as they can while trying in vain to do as little as they can judging by the standard of the City today. They dont actually seem to care at all in regards to how the city turns out. A few improvements here and there and the city would look fine, maybe even comparable to the other cities of Ireland. The entire block on Liddy Street needs to be demolished, aswell as Sarsfield Dunnes complex- construction needs to actually begin on the Opera centre and William Street needs a major cleanup job. But I dont think Arthurs Quay Shopping Centre should go- nobody wants a repeat of The Savoy, its still relatively new, but one thing the City drastically needs is a Cinema, its laughable that there isnt a cinema in one of the biggest cities in Ireland. Who knows it might inject a bit of life into the city after 7 pm, something this city desperately needs. I think upper O Connell Street and its minor streets have a lot of potential in enlarging the citys shopping scene- right now it seems very boring, strictly a business street with solicitors, accounting offices there and not much more to offer. Has a lot of hidden scope that the Council dont seem to see. They seem more interested in slapping Pvc windows in historic windows rather than actually fitting proper windows. If they are going to put effort into something, they might aswell do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm so sick of new buildings with empty units, what a waste!

Methodist Church Bedford Row
    Gerald Griffin St apartments
    Riverpoint
    Mahon House (upper william st)
    Building on O Connell St by Teds.
    Old Griffins Funeral Home
    THOMAS ST CENTRE!!!
    Back of Dunnes (milano)
    I could go on...

On a better note though, Four star and William Hill have now vacated the site at Punches Cross which could only mean that demolition is imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I'm so sick of new buildings with empty units, what a waste!

Methodist Church Bedford Row
    Gerald Griffin St apartments
    Riverpoint
    Mahon House (upper william st)
    Building on O Connell St by Teds.
    Old Griffins Funeral Home
    THOMAS ST CENTRE!!!
    Back of Dunnes (milano)
    I could go on...

On a better note though, Four star and William Hill have now vacated the site at Punches Cross which could only mean that demolition is imminent.

What can you expect in this current economic recession of ours?

• Advertisement

which of the recently started projects are actually finished and full with tenants?

OPERA? yeah right...
    Parkway? - LOL
    Coonagh?- chuckle
    Riverpoint? - still half emtpty
    Park Hotel? - a skeleton
    caherdevin beside the dunnes? - half empty
    ballysimon road? - the same
    east retail park? - see above

and then developers come and want to build another tower on the old ESB shop? who is supposed to be in there? shops? offices? flats? hotel?
    what shops?

It's people like you, who is responsible for the recession.

Will ya snap outta it ffs.:rolleyes:

Limerick is doing better than most, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

mysterious wrote: »

Will ya snap outta it ffs.:rolleyes:

Limerick is doing better than most, in fairness.

Telling it like it is, is not now nor has it been in the past the cause of the recession.
    Anyone who questioned the lunancy of rising property prices and the inevitable collapse was accused of 'talking the economy down'. It would have ben better if people listened.
    Too many people still have their heads in the sand and refuse to believe how severe the financial crisis is. I include many Politicians in this.

Telling it like it is, is not now nor has it been in the past the cause of the recession.
    Anyone who questioned the lunancy of rising property prices and the inevitable collapse was accused of 'talking the economy down'. It would have ben better if people listened.
    Too many people still have their heads in the sand and refuse to believe how severe the financial crisis is. I include many Politicians in this.

You don't get it :rolleyes:

You know, you either be optimistic or wallow in negatism. These are two things for you to do.

Which one is needed.

This ultimatlely what effects economies bottom line.

mysterious wrote: »

Yes. Sure. And I take personal responsibility for the wordlwide crisis of the financial market, too.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

People who buy into the massive doom and gloom are worse than those who ignore it.
    The government, and media put out this idea of an economic doomsday, and it's amazing how many people buy it hook line and sinker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

People who buy into the massive doom and gloom are worse than those who ignore it.
    The government, and media put out this idea of an economic doomsday, and it's amazing how many people buy it hook line and sinker.

Anyone who thinks you can talk your way into a financial crisis is nuts.
    Sure if that was the case, we could talk limerick into winning an all ireland.

Bottom line is things are hairy, and going to get worse.
    No amount of happy talk is going to prevent that from happening.

Best to be aware of what is going to happen, rather than ignore it.

If you wish to state the case for the economy improving anytime soon, feel free to use the forum to demonstrate just how your positive outlook is justified.

We're all ears.

cancan wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks you can talk your way into a financial crisis is nuts.
    Sure if that was the case, we could talk limerick into winning an all ireland.

Bottom line is things are hairy, and going to get worse.
    No amount of happy talk is going to prevent that from happening.

Best to be aware of what is going to happen, rather than ignore it.

If you wish to state the case for the economy improving anytime soon, feel free to use the forum to demonstrate just how your positive outlook is justified.

We're all ears.

My friend, when the government told us what would happen if we didn't vote yes on Maastricht, or Lisbon, or Nice did you believe them?

Japan has officially been in a recession for 13 years!
    13 years!!!
    Does the Japanese economy look in trouble to you?
    The "recession" in Ireland will effect one kind of person.
    The person who has 4 credit cards, and a HP car, a furniture suite bought with no money down for 12 months etc.

Everybody else, will get on pretty much the same way as always.

A reall recession was twenty years ago.
    This is a blip.
    The media are nothing but a bunch of sensationalist scare mongers, making money hand over fist on rubbish.
    People from Limerick should know all about how much truth you can expect from a newspaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

My friend, when the government told us what would happen if we didn't vote yes on Maastricht, or Lisbon, or Nice did you believe them?

13 years!!!
    The person who has 4 credit cards, and a HP car, a furniture suite bought with no money down for 12 months etc.

This is a blip.
    The media are nothing but a bunch of sensationalist scare mongers, making money hand over fist on rubbish.
    People from Limerick should know all about how much truth you can expect from a newspaper!

Hmmmmmm tell that to the 94,000 people who have joined the dole queue this year.

13 years!!!

This is a blip.

I'd love to know what sort of gainful employment you have to be so flippant about the big challanges facing the country, that you somehow think you are immune from the broader economy.
    I hope it's recession proofed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This is a blip.
    You're talking some rubbish there if you actually believe we are just in a 'blip'. It's true that there is a lot of sensationalism in the media but this recession is very real. The world economy is on its knees and not many people will escape the clutches of this recession. There are people being let go all over the place, just look at the jobless figures rising by the week. I, along with the other staff in our company had to put a pay cut in place in an effort to reduce costs, just last week. It will take a couple of years before any normality is reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Aidric wrote: »
    You're talking some rubbish there if you actually believe we are just in a 'blip'. It's true that there is a lot of sensationalism in the media but this recession is very real. The world economy is on its knees and not many people will escape the clutches of this recession. There are people being let go all over the place, just look at the jobless figures rising by the week. I, along with the other staff in our company had to put a pay cut in place in an effort to reduce costs, just last week. It will take a couple of years before any normality is reinstated.
    +1, one eighth of the entire population on unemployment benefit.

I'd love to know what sort of gainful employment you have to be so flippant about the big challanges facing the country, that you somehow think you are immune from the broader economy.
    I hope it's recession proofed!

I could be doing anything from cleaning up dog s**t, to running Ryan Air.

Do you know what though?
    I live within my means.

I own everything I have.
    I pay off my credit card every month.
    I have no loans, no HP, no debts.
    If I want a holiday, I save for it, I don't take a loan out.
    I don't have a 100% mortgage!

That's how you become recession proof.

Simple.

You can't do that, it's on your head, so take responsibility for it.
    Stop passing the buck.

Do you know the average level of debt in this country?
    People were living in houses they didn't own, driving cars they didn't own, going on holidays they didn't pay for, and wering clothes that the were paying for with credit cards, that they were in turn paying off with other credit cards.

Do some simple maths, and you'll be fine.

You earn 2,000 a month, don't spend more than 2,000 a month!

Well done, you're now recession proof!
    Aidric wrote: »
    zuroph wrote: »
    +1, one eighth of the entire population on unemployment benefit.

The unemployment rate has gone up by 0.7% in the last 5 years.
    0.7%!
    5 years ago we were booming and ruling the world in the "Celtic Tiger" at 4.3% unemployment.
    Now the world is going to end and it's judegment day cause it's at 5%!

And Aidric, will you listen to yourself?!
    "the world economy is on it's knees".
    "escapt the clutches of recession"

Get them titles out of a newspaper?!:rolleyes:

Back in the 80's we had unemployment of 17.3%
    17.3%!!!
    Almost 4 times what it is now.

That is a recesion.

This is nothing, take your noses out of the newspapers!

Allow me to put this in the simplest posible terms.

8.jpg

Now you see how out of context this is?

If not, go and wait for terrorists to take over the world, only for us all to be killed by killer bees anyway.

ye gods! not that again. he/she is coming with the statistics...

cancan, aidric, zuroph why did ye opened that can of worms????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i think the world is fcuked. :p

ye gods! not that again. he/she is coming with the statistics...

cancan, aidric, zuroph why did ye opened that can of worms????

I love you man.

"Don't use facts, cause my closed eyed bigotry doesn't like them.
    Facts muddle the issues and make me confused".

Your side of the argument is rubbish, and my side is supported by facts.

So you complain when I bring them into it.

Good job old boy.

• Advertisement

i'm not going further or through that again as we had a similar discussion re the crime rate/ murder rate here...

i'm not going further or through that again as we had a similar discussion re the crime rate/ murder rate here...

Yes, when you refused to listen to the actual facts.

You can call black white if you want TC, but don't be surprissed when someone corrects you.

Simple fact of the matter (pardon the pun) is, that the unemployment rate has increassed by a tiny amount considering the amount of media being printed.
    There are more people unemployed, but there are also more people employed.
    That's what happens when the population increases.
    Precentages don't lie however, and the unemployment rate, as a percentage of the total workforce, has gone up by 0.7% in the last 5 years.

Not the end of the world, seeing as we've had almost 18% unemployment in the past.

I never once said that the economy wasn't in a downturn.
    It is, but that's how capatilism works.
    Complete unemployment is a stagnent economy after all, and nobody wants that.

I simply said that the media has blown it out of all proportion.
    Just like the did with Bird Flu, and SARS before that, and Killer Bees before that, and so on.

I own everything I have.
    I pay off my credit card every month.
    I have no loans, no HP, no debts.
    If I want a holiday, I save for it, I don't take a loan out.
    I don't have a 100% mortgage!

So you're either a student and someone is paying your way, or you have some magical job that cannot be lost in a global downturn, and your month to month expenses are not dependent on your wage.(aka civil servant)

Magical stuff either way!

"You earn 2,000 a month, don't spend more than 2,000 a month!"

What happens if you end up earning 0 per month?

Your attitude reeks of the civil service, or someone who does not understand the implications of what is going on around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

So you're either a student and someone is paying your way, or you have some magical job that cannot be lost in a global downturn, and your month to month expenses are not dependent on your wage.(aka civil servant)

Your attitude reeks of the civil service, or someone who does not understand the implications of what is going on around him.
    Ya well said. Shedding a sizeable chunk of unnecessary civil service jobs would certainly help the economic situation.

I'm not any form of civl servant, and would never dream of becoming one.
    And I'm as far from a student as you can get.
    I just know how to manage money.

If I earned 2,000, I wouldn't spend more than 2,000.
    If I earned 20,000, I wouldn't spend more than 20,000.
    And nobody should be on 0 a month, as we live in a country with this little thing called social welfare.
    Abused by many, but if you're seriously having trouble finding a job, that's what it's there for.

I've had varying success on the employment scale over the years, going from very little upwards, but one thing never changed.
    Basic money managment.

The propblem with Ireland is that we've spent over a decade with a plastic economy.
    People are used to spending money that doen't belong to them.
    As soon as things start to thighten up, everyone cries woe is me.

Live within your means.
    Simple.

By the way, congratulations on completely ignoring the points I made about how slight the increase in unemployment is, and how high it has been in the past.

The last rich country to go through an economical colapse was Uraguay in the 1950's and that was due to the fact that it's economy was completely reliant on one thing (Beef exports).
    No first world country has colapsed since.
    They rise and fall, rise and fall, and so on.

Put it to you this way.
    There is a "recession" roughly every decade.

In the 70's America had the worst recession since the great depression.
    Causing economic trouble all over the world.
    The whole world went through a major recession in the 80's (81-82).
    Recovered straight away.
    Another in the 90's triggered by "Black Monday" in 87 when the DOW dropped more in one day than it did in the Wall St colapse of 29!
    That lasted untill about 91.

It's a cycle people.
    It happens every decade or so, lasts for a couple of years, and then is gone within a couple of years.

Recession is a buzz word thrown about to sell newspapers, and to keep people content in their jobs.

How did ye not expect the building industry to falter?
    Who was going to be living in these houses?
    There are only so many people after all.

Did you expect the government to keep on p*****g away billions and not be held accountable for it?
    Want to make a change?
    Vote them out.

This "recession" will come and go, just like the lasst one, and the one before, and the one before, and people will forget all about it, and in 2016 or so when the next one comes, they'll start bleating away again as usual.

Do yourself a favour, and study your economic history.
    It'll do you some good.

it must be very lonly on your soapbox.

it must be very lonly on your soapbox.

Why are you content in your flock of sheep?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

13 years!!!

This is a blip.
    Did you watch the panel last night? Neil Delamare said it perfectly like it is. i don't remember the exact words but its something like, D*ck heads with loads of cars and that are stuck in offices that think they're fantastic and wear suits are the ones that don't thinkwe're in a recession, the reason for this is the budget. The budget is cutting education and taxing the poor while keeping the rich rich. so people that work in the trades or IT people are 50% ****ed and their seniors are pretty much fine.
    They're busy working in the offices so this means if they're fine, so is the rest of the country. this is arrogance and stupidity. I have a friend exactly like this, He refused to believe we were in a recession, even when they officially anounced it on the news. He finally admits it now but this is an example of someone who thinks he is always right and if he is fine, then nobody else matters.
    I'm one of the lucky ones who has a stable job but I know this is affecting thousands of people.

TheLoc wrote: »
    Did you watch the panel last night? Neil Delamare said it perfectly like it is. i don't remember the exact words but its something like, D*ck heads with loads of cars and that are stuck in offices that think they're fantastic and wear suits are the ones that don't thinkwe're in a recession, the reason for this is the budget. The budget is cutting education and taxing the poor while keeping the rich rich. so people that work in the trades or IT people are 50% ****ed and their seniors are pretty much fine.
    They're busy working in the offices so this means if they're fine, so is the rest of the country. this is arrogance and stupidity. I have a friend exactly like this, He refused to believe we were in a recession, even when they officially anounced it on the news. He finally admits it now but this is an example of someone who thinks he is always right and if he is fine, then nobody else matters.
    I'm one of the lucky ones who has a stable job but I know this is affecting thousands of people.

You take your financial and economical advice from a stand-up comedian?!
    Do you get your weather reports then from the teletubbies?!!

No offence to Neil, but he's not exactly an expert.

It's amazing how short peoples memories are.

Was there a "recession" in the 70's?

Yes.

Was there a "recession" in the 80's?

Yes.

Was there a a "recession" in the 90's?

Yes.

Will there be one in the 00's?

Yes.

Will there be one in the 10's?

Yes.

And so on, and so on.

It's how capatilism works!
    Bulls and Bears anyone?!!!!!

This is the first time since Ireland became a rich country that we've gotten to this part of the cycle.
    It's not going to be a walk in the park, but if you believe half the doom mongering going on, you'll be disapointed about how it's not going to really be that bad.
    As strange as that sounds!

And as for them announcing we're in a recession on the news.
    As I've said beofre, Japan has been in a recession for 13 years!
    13 years!!!
    That would be Japan, the country with the third largest economy in the world (behind only America and China)!

The simple fact of the matter is if you want to run around like chicken licken, screamming "the sky is falling down" enjoy.

If you want to look at the facts the sky is doing just fine.

We're living in the 5th richest country in the world (going on GDP).
    Our unemployment is well within normal paramaters and has only slightly increased.
    Not a single rich country has had economical colapse since 1950 (Uruguay).

As for the cuts to the healtcare and education system.
    Wanna stop them?
    Vote the government out!
    They're the ones who have wasted billions on tribunals, brown envelopes, and disasterous public spending.
    And they're still doing it!

You put all that money back into the system, and we'd have a teacher for every bloody student!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

You take your financial and economical advice from a stand-up comedian?!
    Do you get your weather reports then from the teletubbies?!!

No offence to Neil, but he's not exactly an expert.

It's amazing how short peoples memories are.

Was there a "recession" in the 70's?

Yes.

Was there a "recession" in the 80's?

Yes.

Was there a a "recession" in the 90's?

Yes.

Will there be one in the 00's?

Yes.

Will there be one in the 10's?

Yes.

And so on, and so on.

It's how capatilism works!
    Bulls and Bears anyone?!!!!!

This is the first time since Ireland became a rich country that we've gotten to this part of the cycle.
    It's not going to be a walk in the park, but if you believe half the doom mongering going on, you'll be disapointed about how it's not going to really be that bad.
    As strange as that sounds!
    This is why you are a nobody and everyone is disagreeing with u and neil delemare is on da telly hahaha. only messing. But there is a recession. its not worse that any other time but there still is one. I'm sure you wouldn't saying all this if you were employed in Dell out in Raheen.... where over 600 people are scared of being laid off at any time. and it is going to happen. loads of call centers are dissappearing off to india. taxes have been raised to scare away multinationals... there are loads of things that are going on and the buget has made it all worse by cutting spending in education and poor areas. if u think that this is only a blip, u obviously have never been unemployed or been in an unstable job. imagine u got laid off out of the blue and was trying to find a job for ages and couldn't get one. Then relegating yourself to drawing the dole with all the heroin addicks and homeless people??? u have to broaden the picture. I don't give into the media that much but my family have been affected, my old friends in college can't get jobs in IT so are working in supermarkets if they can get ahead of the polish, My mates from school who are all plumbers and other trades can't get work, my parents moved to england to get work.... u just havn't been effected

Advertisement