Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Nokia Car Kit - Replace Cradle...?

• 27-10-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I've just inherited a Renault Clio that's already been fitted with a car kit. It's a fairly old Nokia one (with the speaker near the passenger footwell and the mic fitted up near the rear-view mirror), but I can't find a model number anywhere. It looks *sort of* like this one: http://shop.dashmount.co.uk/installation/nokia_convert.jpg - But I can't confirm if it's identical!

Anyway, I myself have a Nokia E61i, which does not fit in the cradle on this kit. The kit appears to have a pop-port cable running into it along with a second, thinner cable (I can't identify what that's for... Any ideas? Radio Muting? I don't think it's an external aerial). My question is: Is it possible for me to simply replace the cradle with a cradle that fits the E61i and will allow me to use the existing wired speaker / mic setup in the car?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Best bet would be to take car into a fitting centre and they will answer you straight away.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

All you will need then is THIS.

Take out the cradle, but leave the mounting piece, just sit the new cradle to it. The screw is behind the 'Nokia' rubber in the centre. Then plug the power supply to the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

davton wrote: »
    All you will need then is THIS.

Take out the cradle, but leave the mounting piece, just sit the new cradle to it. The screw is behind the 'Nokia' rubber in the centre. Then plug the power supply to the bottom.

Cheers Davton, that's the exact piece I was looking at! So it would be safe for me to disconnect the current kit and check if the pop-port-esque cable will fit in my E61i before I go purchasing this?

Also, do you've any idea what the second, thinner wire might do? Whoever install the kit taped it up tightly to the pop-port cable.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Folex wrote: »
    Cheers Davton, that's the exact piece I was looking at! So it would be safe for me to disconnect the current kit and check if the pop-port-esque cable will fit in my E61i before I go purchasing this?

Also, do you've any idea what the second, thinner wire might do? Whoever install the kit taped it up tightly to the pop-port cable.

Thanks.

Yes, it will work exactly the same without the cradle.
    I think the smaller wire would be for the audio as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for the tip about the location of the screw, mightn't have found it otherwise!

So I've managed to disconnect the pop-port cable from the cradle, but when I connect it directly into the E61i, it doesn't seem to register at all. I've tried with the engine on and off, and I've had a look through the phone's "Car Kit" settings - It all seems in order, except the speaker and the mic seem to do nothing.

There's no icon on the phone to say it's connected to a car kit or anything either... I've never had a car kit before, do I need to do anything along the lines of turning it 'on' or something does anyone know?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

hi, the thin wire goes to the back part of the cradle you removed and is for an aerial, its probably a black strip mounted on the inside of your windscreen somewhere, as for your problem with not connecting to your phone you need to see if the cable works with a phone like a 6230i, as the kit could be disconnected from its power supply,

Advertisement