Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Guilt

Options
  • 27-10-2008 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

A bank holiday Monday of good intentions turned into downloading the new Fall Out Boy singles, browsing boards that are in no way relevant to me (Cases in point - Farming and Forestry, Parenting) and having daytime TV on in the background (Does Ellen Degeneres dance in every show? She should give out free stuff, like Oprah does).

Procrastination. Doncha just love it?

Anyone else finding it hard to stick to their study goals? I know we have 6 more days but the longer you leave it, the harder it gets. Then comes the guilt which stems from the non-studying, which in turn, makes you more stressed about studying.
    Ein Teufelskreis if ever there was one.

If anyone here is actually managing to do what they told themselves they would, I salute you! You definitely deserve your college place. But on the other hand, you may not actually be human, so its a bit of a trade off.

Hmm, this post is quite rambling and pointless, but hey, anything is better than Physical Geography. *shudders*

In an effort to make sure this isn't deleted as spam, I'd like to point out that I'm inviting others to engage in a serious debate on the effect of Popular Media on the motivation of Leaving Cert students. Or something like that.
    And I'm done. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh yeah. So full of guilt. At half three I went to get some lunc after having done a whole hour and a half of homework. Came online half an hour later to look up some French ords and it's not half five and I havent even read the French comprehension I said I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I thought the prospect of giving myself 8 days in a row off at christmas would help me work through mid-term.
    Not so much.
    Now I think I'll go put my christmas music on my ipod...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

A bank holiday Monday of good intentions turned into downloading the new Fall Out Boy singles

Forget the "no-studying" bit, it's listening to (shudder) Fall Out Boy that you should really feel guilty about! :P

And Physical Geography is an interesting topic - you should go study that. How about those isostatic processes, eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

That's a little bit depressing...
    Isostasy - I'm completely drawing a blank.
    I think it's something to do with ice, or the sea...
    It's about the Earth planet anyway :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Forget the "no-studying" bit, it's listening to (shudder) Fall Out Boy that you should really feel guilty about! :P

And Physical Geography is an interesting topic - you should go study that. How about those isostatic processes, eh? ;)

Nowt wrong with em!
    Damn good song writers.

Yeah im yet to get anything done this week :(
    After dinner maybe..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

As I predicted, I've been putting my study off.

I only get to see my friends on weekends what with them all being off in college/ university well away from home so when they're around I get horribly horribly distracted.
    I have, as of yet, done absolutely NO study.
    None.
    And yet here I am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'm leaving a Home Rule exam question to answer: Yes, Ellen DeGeneres DOES dance on every show.

Clearly sixth year is amazing for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

i just cant study, guilt or no guilt.
    my history teacher (bulldog) knew that the class wouldnt study for the midterm so he gave us a massive essay and told us that we have a test when we come back.
    Guild isnt the answer. the only way to study is when you have no choice.
    But now im deperessed and i havnt started the study yet or the huge essay.

Procrastination. Doncha just love it?

Yeah! Screw fiddling with LastFM, im going upstairs to study......*Attempts to sum up the courage to log out*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Well I got home at 4 today, so...

No point in starting anything at 4! Sure the day's practically over!

I hate my self-lies.

Self-lies are the best lies.

My cousin is staying with us over the midterm, and as much as I want to study and fob her off on my sister it feels a bit mean as she's closer in age to me than my sister....but I have the leaving cert to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Oh yes, study guilt. I quite hate that. Especially when you hear your friend say that they studied...makes me feel like a waster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I didn't lie to myself this time. I know damn well I'm probably going to leave a week's worth of homework until the weekend. :pac:

However I can try to try.

EDIT:
    Fallout Boy? Isn't that Radioactive Man's sidekick?

Davidius wrote: »

EDIT:
    Fallout Boy? Isn't that Radioactive Man's sidekick?

It is.

{I'm struggling to resist temptation to make a cruel Chernobyl joke :pac:}

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Didn't do anything myself today as a Shels match got changed from Saturday to today in Longford so left my gaff at 1 and got home at 11. Hopefully my goal of writing notes on the first 3 chapters in Business (The ABQ chapters for 09) and do 4 Maths paper questions, should be easy enough, 2 hours max I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I knew that this midterm I would do nothing. The only thing I feel guilty about is my History special topic. I MUST DO MY SECOND DRAFT, but every time I take it out of my bag I get depressed and browse after hours instead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i was full of good intentions last night to study.
    i even set my alarm for 9.... damn snooze buttons, ended up getting up at 10, showered, booked my driving test, ate and here i am.... still no study done and i'm heading out in an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Must.......dooo.........history.....special.....topic.........effort......and i like history aswell wtf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

you all going for medicine or something?

studying required during the year is inversely proportional to your cramming skills, with a points required factor thrown in for good measure.

Listen, if you're vegging out, veg out properly. dont' be sitting there saying "I should be studying" cause you won't enjoy wasting the time. Revel in the wastage!

then when it's time to do a bit of work, do it.

Jaysus, da Yout of today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Do you people realise you're on a mid-term break?

That means you sit back and chilax for a few days before the final stretch to Christmas. An hour a day would be excellent. Forget all the hours and hours of study you think you should be doing. There's plenty of time for that during the school term. Now get outside and run across the fields with joy and forget about school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I read some of my short stories in My Oedipus Complex, and I looked up about some Art exhibits.

Planned study time: 4 hours.
    Reality: about 20 minutes.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

EL_Loco wrote: »

studying required during the year is inversely proportional to your cramming skills, with a points required factor thrown in for good measure.

That's so true.
    You should all remember that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Cramming for the lose, though. Can't stand cramming. I spent the weeks of my LC playing computer games. Now that's how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Another day, another brief internal struggle, another studiless 24 hours :(

I'm never going to be a doctor. Maybe I'll just do teaching or something equally soul-destroying yet attainable :(

Watched about 6 episodes of House today. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

I'm trying..i really am...but ITS SO HARD. Something else more important always happens. I've been up at 7 and usually manage an hour and a half each morning up all I have to show for it is 2 irish essays and 2 pros questions. I hate the leaving cert:eek::eek::eek::eek:

But it makes me feel better that everyone else is as stressed and guilty as me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

oh crap..
    it's thursday isn't it...
    i had such good intentions!
    i couldn't do any today and i can't tomorrow...
    so i'll have to do all my work at the weekend (shocking it ended up like that right?)
    and i have about 4 tests on monday.. yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Plans totally backfired. I'm gonna have to try and salvage my history special topic and religion project this weekend.
    But right now, NCAD ball!

God, I love sixth year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I done a good few of biology questions that my teacher gave me this morning. I didn't think it would take that long. I ended up taking 3 hours :rolleyes:

Advertisement