Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an Official list of dead + Official Memorial for National Army troops?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

I was thinking recently, is there an official list available of National Army troops killed during the Civil War? Also, is there any sort of official memorial to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

eroo wrote: »
    I was thinking recently, is there an official list available of National Army troops killed during the Civil War? Also, is there any sort of official memorial to them?

Well, here's an offical memorial for them, a song composed in Kilmainham Jail -

Take It Down From The Mast

Take it down from the mast, Irish traitors,
    It's the flag we republicans claim,
    It can never belong to Free Staters,
    For you've brought on it nothing but shame.

Why not leave it to those who are willing,
    To uphold it in war and in peace,
    To the men who intend to do killing,
    Until England's tyrannies cease.

So take it down from the mast, Irish traitors,
    It's the flag we republicans claim,
    It can never belong to Free Staters,
    For you've brought on it nothing but shame.

What aspect of the Civil War that appeals to you Eroo ? Was it the absoulutely diabolical murder of Liam Mellows, Rory O'Connor, Joe McKelvey and Richard Barrett even though the four men were in prison at the time of the killing of a TD and had obvioulsy nothing to do with it, were dragged out of their cells in Mountjoy and shot dead, each representing the province they came from. To show just how corrupt and depraved Kevin O'Higgins * and the Free State administration were, Rory O'Connor had been best man at O'Higgins' wedding just a few months earlier.

* ( he had been a member of Redmond's IPP, denounced 1916, but later joined Sinn Fein as he seen they were the coming force )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

McArmalite wrote: »
    What aspect of the Civil War that appeals to you Eroo ? Was it the absoulutely diabolical murder of Liam Mellows, Rory O'Connor, Joe McKelvey and Richard Barrett even though the four men were in prison at the time of the killing of a TD and had obvioulsy nothing to do with it, were dragged out of their cells in Mountjoy and shot dead, each representing the province they came from. To show just how corrupt and depraved Kevin O'Higgins * and the Free State administration were, Rory O'Connor had been best man at O'Higgins' wedding just a few months earlier.

* ( he had been a member of Redmond's IPP, denounced 1916, but later joined Sinn Fein as he seen they were the coming force )

I didn't ask for your opinion, not many people do McArmalite. I asked about a memorial and list.

Despite your usual arguments, you fail to note O'Connor and the other Republican commanders openly rejected the democratic will of the majority. O'Connor even spoke of setting up a military dictatorship. They were dreamers, idealists. Collins, Griffith, Cosgrave, O'Higgin's etc were realists. They knew what could and could not be achieved through continuing fighting the Westminster.

Can I just state right now, I have no interest in further pursuing this argument. Nip it in the bud please. I didn't ask for any opinions, just as I said already. Re-read my first post please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

I didn't ask for your opinion, not many people do McArmalite. I asked about a memorial and list.

Well since this is a discussion forum, since you mentioned the ' National/Free State army ' I only queried why you think they and the period should deserve an unquestioning memorial.
    Despite your usual arguments, you fail to note O'Connor and the other Republican commanders openly rejected the democratic will of the majority. O'Connor even spoke of setting up a military dictatorship. They were dreamers, idealists. Collins, Griffith, Cosgrave, O'Higgin's etc were realists. They knew what could and could not be achieved through continuing fighting the Westminster.
    Firstly - The Free Sate witheld the details of the treaty until the morning of the vote, it was only published in the unionist newspapers of the time the Irish Times and Independent ( although Sir Anthony's Irish Independent would obvioulsy still be a unionist - 90 years after ' Independence ' :D ) on the moring of the vote, THEORETICALLY it can be said the people knew what they were voting for, reality wise it was a mega lie to deceive and manipulate the public. If the great, honest founding fathers of the state had nothing to hide, why did they just publish the contents on the morning of the vote ?? And given that the distributuion of newspapers in those days was obviously a hap hazard affair - could it really be said that the people were presented with the full details ??

And secondly - IRELAND HAS NEVER BEEN ALLOWED TO DECIDE IF WE WANT bRITISH OCCUPATION IN ANY PART OF OUR COUNTRY. It was not a vote to decide that Ireland should be partitiioned and british occupation survive, it was a british ultimatim of brit rule to stay in the six counties, take it or leave it. The winning side of a war does not dictate the terms.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - those who were the most vunerable - the nationalists in what was to become the six county secterian gerryamnder - to unionist and british thuggery were abonded. The thugery of the Black and Tans etc was nothing compared to the open pograms across the north - with the lovely lads from England etc leading them on their destruction, looting and murder. And what was the Free State doing while all this statred...... atttacking the IRA in the Four Courts and across Dublin with british supplied artillery and rifles. But then, that's what their british masters demanded of them, it's amazing that their are those who try and portray it as a great step in Irelands struggle for independence.
    Can I just state right now, I have no interest in further pursuing this argument. Nip it in the bud please. I didn't ask for any opinions, just as I said already. Re-read my first post please.

No eroo, you didn't ask for my opinions, nor indeed anyone else's, I'm just making the point that their is serious questions to be asked about the National/Free State Army and how ' glorious ' their actions were. I for one cannot see how Irishmen attacking and murdering Irishmen at the request of the English war criminal Winston Churchill should be regarded as unquestionably right.

" To the men who intend to do killing, until Englands tyrannies cease "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

speak to the adminstrator in collins barracks musuem. if you went into the musuem (maybe you have) there is two touch screen computers in the area where the republican flag (gpo 1916) and connolly's vest is stored. one computer gives a complete list of all those who fought during 1916, their rank and battalion(gives some sort of closure to the numerous claims by barstoolers who claim their granfather etc fought in the war - from so many claims i have heard, it seems half of dublin had relations in the gpo alone lol, bit like that claim that so many where in thomond park the day munster beat new zealand) the other computer briefly seems to list people who died fighting in ww1 and ww2. i think the national archives website my also be worth looking at

it might take lots of research, but would be rewarable, i feel collins barracks might be a start. have a look in arbour hill cementary (near smithfield) where pearse & co are buried, there are slabs near their graves of men and men who died in 1916, their might be something their for civil war.

i would not be hughely certain if their actually is a war memorial solely dedicated to victims of civil war, despite the length of time, the wounds are still too open, particualarily with bitterness, delusionment and resentiment with what was allowed to happen in the north over the years.

all though you did not ask, i have tried to live you a link with a list of people who were executed in south of ireland from 1900-1940's (you will see the firing squad people are irregulars/ira during civil war) all though i do not remember where i got it from i know for 100% certainty most of it is accurate, particularily those murdered/executed/killed in athlone barracks

(extract from website)

"There were 164 executions in Southern Ireland during the 20th century. Twelve men and one woman were hanged under British civil jurisdiction between 1900 and 1911. Thereafter, there were no more executions for civilian crimes under British rule. However, 15 men were executed by firing squad for treason, under British jurisdiction, for their parts in the 1916 Easter Rebellion. (see below).

There were 25 executions under British jurisdiction during the War of Independence (1918 - 1921) and a further 77 under the jurisdiction of the Free State Authorities during the Irish Civil War (1922-1924) with, in total, 91 men shot and 11 hanged. In September 1922, the Dáil (parliament) Resolution passed a resolution providing for the death penalty for terrorist offences, following trial by military tribunal. As a result, the provisional “26 counties” government executed 75 people in the 6 months from November 1922 to April 1923, all by firing squad at various locations.

Thirty five people, including one woman, were hanged for murder between 1924 (after Ireland had achieved independence) and 1954 when Michael Manning became the last person to be executed in Ireland. Annie Walsh of Co. Limerick was executed on the 5th of August 1925 at Dublin’s Mountjoy prison for the murder of her husband. (The British administration had reprieved all 6 females sentenced to death in the 17 years prior to independence).

Twenty five year old Michael Manning became the last to be executed, for the murder of Catherine Cooper, an elderly nurse. All these executions were carried out by the serving British hangman of the day, who was always an unpopular figure in Ireland.

Capital punishment was partially abolished in 1964, for all but a few very specific forms of murder, notably the murder of police officers (the Garda) or prison officers. The Dáil finally abolished it completely in 1990, when new legislation created a 40 year minimum prison term for exceptional murders. The last to be sentenced to death were Noel Callen and Michael McHugh for the murder of Garda Patrick Morrissey after a robbery in County Louth in 1985. Noel and Marie Murray came close to being the last to be executed, having been convicted of the capital murder of Garda Michael Reynolds, following an armed bank robbery in Dublin in 1975. They both refused to seek clemency, so to avoid international embarrassment, the president decided to impose it upon them whether they wanted it or not. On the 1st of November 1976, the Supreme Court quashed Noel’s capital murder conviction and substituted one of common murder and ordered a re-trial for Marie in 1977 - this time she too was found guilty only of common murder. They were both released in 1992. Of the 11 people who received death sentences in Eire in the 1970's and 1980's, all have been released except the last two who were sentenced in 1985 - but they will never serve 40 years under the provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights, as a judge did not determine the sentence.

Day
    Date
    Name
    Victim
    Hangman

Tue
    10/04/1900
    Patrick Dunphy
    Waterford
    Child
    Thomas Scott

Fri
    11/01/1901
    Timothy Cadogan

Cork
    Land agent
    James Billington

Thur
    07/03/1901
    John Toole

Dublin
    Wife
    Thomas Scott

Wed
    23/04/1902
    Thomas Keeley
    Galway
    Landlady
    William Billington

Tue
    30/12/1902
    James Docherty
    Sligo
    Son
    William Billington

Wed
    07/01/1903
    Joseph Taylor &

Mary Daly
    Kilkenny
    Mr. Daly
    William Billington

Fri
    09/01/1903
    Tullamore
    Husband
    William Billington

Tue
    05/01/1904
    Joseph Moran

Londonderry
    Rose McCann
    William Billington

Thur
    14/04/1904
    James Campion

Kilkenny
    Wife
    William Billington

Fri
    15/04/1904
    John Kelly

Kilkenny
    Wife
    William Billington

Tue
    25/04/1905
    John Foster

Cork
    Soldier
    William Billington

Tue
    04/01/1910
    Joseph Hefferman
    Dublin
    Woman
    Henry Pierrepoint

Wed
    04/01/1911
    William Scanlan

Cork
    Sister in law
    John Ellis

Thur
    29/11/1923
    William Downs
    Dublin
    Police officer
    John Ellis

Wed
    12/12/1923
    Thomas Delaney
    Dublin
    Patrick Hogan
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    12/12/1923
    Thomas M' Donagh
    Dublin
    Ellen Rogers
    Tom Pierrepoint

Sat
    15/12/1923
    Peter Hynes
    Dublin
    Thomas Grimstone
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    13/03/1924
    Jeremiah Gaffney
    Dublin
    Thomas Brosnan
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri
    01/08/1924
    Felix McMullen
    Dublin
    Patrick O’Hallaranr
    Tom Pierrepoint

Tue
    28/07/1925
    Cornelius O' Lleary
    Dublin
    Patrick O’Leary (brother)
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    05/08/1925
    Michael Talbot &

Annie Walsh
    Dublin
    Edward Walsh
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    05/08/1925
    Dublin
    Husband
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    15/07/1926
    James Myles
    Dublin
    John Smith Snr, & Jnr
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    24/11/1926
    James M' Hugh
    Dublin
    William Dollinson
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    09/12/1926
    Henry M' Cabe
    Dublin
    McDonnell family
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    29/12/1927
    William O' Neill
    Dublin
    Mary Farrell
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    29/08/1928
    Gerard Toal
    Dublin
    Mary Callan
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    25/04/1929
    John Cox
    Dublin
    Jacon Kuntz
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    04/08/1931
    David O'Shea
    Dublin
    Ellen O’Sullivan
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    29/12/1932
    Patrick McDermott
    Dublin
    John McDermott
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri
    05/01/1934
    John Fleming
    Dublin
    Wife, Ellen
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri
    17/06/1937
    John Hornick

Dublin
    James Redmond
    Tom Pierrepoint

Sat
    07/01/1939
    Dermot Smith
    Dublin
    Cornelius Dennehey
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri
    06/09/1940
    Patrick McGrath

Dublin
    I.R.A. murder
    Firing squad

Fri
    06/09/1940
    Thomas Harte (Green)

Dublin
    I.R.A. murder
    Firing squad

Tue
    07/01/1941
    Daniel Doherty
    Dublin
    Hannah Doherty
    Tom Pierrepoint

Wed
    23/04/1941
    Henry Gleeson
    Dublin
    Mary McCarthy
    Tom Pierrepoint

Sat
    09/08/1941
    Richard Goss
    Maryborough
    (Portlaoise)
    Shot at police
    Firing squad

Thur
    18/12/1941
    Patrick Kelly
    Dublin
    Mary Breheny
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    05/03/1942
    George Plant
    Maryborough
    (Portlaoise)
    Michael Devereux
    Firing squad

Thur
    12/11/1942
    Maurice O' Neill

Dublin
    Shot at police
    Firing squad

Wed
    02/06/1943
    Bernard Kirwan
    Dublin
    Brother, Lawrence
    Tom Pierrepoint

Thur
    12/08/1943
    William O' Shea
    Dublin
    Wife, Maureen
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri
    01/12/1944
    Charles Kerins

Dublin
    Denis O’Brien
    Tom Pierrepoint

Mon
    19/03/1945
    James Lehman

Dublin
    Wife, Margaret
    Albert Pierrepoint

Mon
    31/03/1947
    Joseph McManus
    Dublin
    Alice Gerard
    Albert Pierrepoint

Wed
    24/11/1948
    William Gambon
    Dublin
    John Long
    Albert Pierrepoint

Tue
    20/04/1954
    Michael Manning
    Dublin
    Catherine Cooper
    Albert Pierrepoint

The Easter Rebellion.

In May 1916, 14 men were shot by firing squad in the Quarry Yard at Dublin’s Kilmainham prison and one more (Thomas Kent) at Cork Barracks, having been convicted of treason for their parts in the 1916 Easter Rebellion. Plaques mark the place where these executions were carried out within Kilmainham.

Tom Clarke
    Wednesday 3rd May

Thomas MacDonagh
    Wednesday 3rd May

Padraic Pearse
    Wednesday 3rd May

Joseph Mary Plunkett
    Thursday 4th May

William Pearse
    Thursday 4th May

Edward Daly
    Thursday 4th May

Michael O'Hanrahan
    Thursday 4th May

John MacBride
    Friday 5th May

Eamonn Ceannt
    Monday 8th May

Michael Mallin
    Monday 8th May

Conn Colbert
    Monday 8th May

Sean Heuston
    Monday 8th May

Thomas Kent
    Tuesday 9th May

Sean MacDiarmada
    Friday 12th May

James Connolly
    Friday 12th May

Dublin’s prisons.

Mountjoy prison, built in 1851 on what is now Dublin’s North Circular Road, was the scene of 24 of the 20th century hangings. These took place in the two story "hanghouse" at the end of D Wing. The gallows chamber was on the first floor and was destroyed in a prison riot in the 1970’s. Mountjoy’s first execution was that of John Toole in 1901. Previously, Dublin executions had been carried out at Kilmainham jail (in public up to 1868, on the first floor balcony over the main door) or at Newgate Prison in Green Street. This was the prison for the City of Dublin while Kilmainham served as the prison for the County of Dublin. Newgate has been demolished and is now a public park. It is said that the underground dungeons may still exist under the park. The gallows at Newgate was very similar to that of Kilmainham and was also located over the front door. The hanghouse at Kilmainham is believed to have been built from bricks salvaged from the old condemned cells that stood in one of the jail's yards. Newgate and Kilmainham prisons both carried public executions at the same period.

Kilmainham ceased to be a civilian prison in 1910. The executions of the Irish Invincibles, Joseph Brady, Tim Kelly, Michael Fagan, Daniel Curley and Thomas Caffrey, took place within its walls on the 14th of May 1883. These men had been convicted of the murders on the 6th of May 1882, of Lord Frederick Cavendish, British secretary for Ireland, and Thomas Henry Burke, his under-secretary, in Dublin’s Phoenix Park. Due to the political nature of the crime, security was tight and Kilmainham prison was surrounded by Grenadier Guards, infantry and police while William Marwood went about his work on a gallows erected in one of the prison yards. Kilmainham Jail has been restored and is now open to the public. It is a fascinating place to visit. For more on Kilmainham have a look at http://kilmainham.blogspot.com/

The Irish War of Independence & Civil War period.

102 executions were carried out during the Irish War of Independence and the Civil War for terrorist murders and treason. Most of these were by military firing squad and were typically carried out in batches. John Ellis and Thomas Pierrepoint carried out the hangings in Mountjoy prison, as they were the U. K.’s principal executioners at the time.

Day
    Date
    Name
    Place
    Method
    Hangman

Mon
    01/11/1920
    Kevin Barry
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Tue
    01/02/1921
    Cornelius Murphy
    Cork
    Firing squad

Mon
    28/02/1921
    John Allen
    Cork
    Firing squad

“ “
    Thomas O'Brien
    Cork
    Firing squad

Daniel Callaghan
    Cork
    Firing squad

John Lyons
    Cork
    Firing squad

Timothy McCarthy
    Cork
    Firing squad

Patrick Mahoney
    Cork
    Firing squad

Mon
    14/03/1921
    Thomas Whelan
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Patrick Moran
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Patrick Doyle
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Bernard Ryan
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Thomas Bryan
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Frank Flood
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Mon
    25/04/1921
    Thomas Traynor
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    John Ellis

Thursday
    28/04/1921
    Maurice Moore
    Cork
    Firing squad

Patrick O'Sullivan
    Cork
    Firing squad

Patrick Ronayne
    Cork
    Firing squad

Thomas Mulcahy
    Cork
    Firing squad

Mon
    02/05/1921
    Patrick Casey
    Cork
    Firing squad

Mon
    16/05/1921
    Daniel O'Brien
    Cork
    Firing squad

Mon
    06/06/1921
    Thomas Keane
    Limerick
    Firing squad

Tue
    07/06/1921
    Patrick Maher
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    Tom Pierrepoint

Edmund Foley
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    Tom Pierrepoint

William Mitchel
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Hanging
    Tom Pierrepoint

Fri

Peter Cassidy
    Dublin (Kilmainham)
    Firing squad

Richard Tuohy
    Dublin (Kilmainham)
    Firing squad

John Gaffney
    Dublin (Kilmainham)
    Firing squad

James Fisher
    Dublin (Kilmainham)
    Firing squad

Fri
    24/11/1922
    Erskin Childers
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Thurs
    30/11/1922
    Joseph Spooner
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Patrick Farrally
    Dublin
    Firing squad

John Murphy
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Fri
    08/12/1922
    Rory O'Connor
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Firing squad

Liam Mellows
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Firing squad

Joseph McKelvey
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Firing squad

Richard Barrett
    Dublin (Mountjoy)
    Firing squad

Stephen White
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Joseph Johnstone
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Patrick Mangan
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Patrick Nolan
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Brian Moore
    Dublin
    Firing squad

James O'Connor
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Patrick Bagrel
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Fri
    29/12/1922.
    John Phelan
    Dublin
    Firing squad

John Murphy
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Mon
    08/01/1923
    Ley Dowling
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Sylvestor Heaney
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Lawrence Sheehy
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Anthony O' Reilly
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Terence Brady
    Dublin
    Firing squad

Fri
    12/01/1923
    Thomas McKeown
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Thomas Murray
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Thomas Murphy
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Mon
    15/01/1923
    Frederick Burke
    Roscrea
    Firing squad

Patrick Russell
    Roscrea
    Firing squad

Martin O' Shea
    Roscrea
    Firing squad

Patrick Macnamara
    Roscrea
    Firing squad

James Lilis
    Carlow
    Firing squad

Sat
    20/01/1923
    James Daly
    Tralee
    Firing squad

John Clifford
    Tralee
    Firing squad

Micheal Brosnam
    Tralee
    Firing squad

James Hanlon
    Tralee
    Firing squad

Cornelius McMahon
    Limerick
    Firing squad

Patrick Hennessey
    Limerick
    Firing squad

Thomas Hughes
    Athlone
    Firing squad

Micheal Walsh
    Athlone
    Firing squad

Herbert Collis
    Athlone
    Firing squad

Stephen Joyce
    Athlone
    Firing squad

Martin Burke
    Athlone
    Firing squad

Mon
    22/01/1923
    James Melia (20)
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Thomas Lennon (19)
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Joseph Ferguson (27)
    Dundalk
    Firing squad

Thur
    25/01/1923
    Michael Fitzgerald
    Waterford
    Firing squad

Patrick O' Reilly
    Waterford
    Firing squad

Fri
    26/01/1923
    Patrick Cunningham
    Birr
    Firing squad

William Conroy
    Birr
    Firing squad

Colum Kelly
    Birr
    Firing squad

Sat
    27/01/1923
    Patrick Geraghty
    Portlaoise
    Firing squad

Joseph Byrne
    Portlaoise
    Firing squad

Tue
    13/03/1923
    Henry Keenan
    Mullingar
    Firing squad

Micheal Greery
    Mullingar
    Firing squad

James O' Rourke
    Dublin
    Firing squad

William Healey
    Cork
    Firing squad

James Parle
    Wexford
    Firing squad

Patrick Hogan
    Wexford
    Firing squad

John Creane
    Wexford
    Firing squad

Wed
    14/03/1923
    John Larkin
    Drumbere
    Firing squad

Timothy O' Sullivan
    Drumbere
    Firing squad

Daniel Enwright
    Drumbere
    Firing squad

Charles Daly
    Drumbere
    Firing squad

Sat
    14/04/1923
    James O' Malley
    Tuam
    Firing squad

Micheal Monaghan
    Tuam
    Firing squad

Francis Cunnane
    Tuam
    Firing squad

John Newell
    Tuam
    Firing squad

John Maguire
    Tuam
    Firing squad

Martin Moylan
    Tuam
    Firing squad

Wed
    25/04/1923
    Edward Greaney
    Tralee
    Firing squad

Reginald Hathaway
    Tralee
    Firing squad

James McInery
    Tralee
    Firing squad

Wed
    02/05/1923
    Christopher Quin
    Ennis
    Firing squad

William Shaughnessey
    Ennis
    Firing squad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Well since this is a discussion forum, since you mentioned the ' National/Free State army ' I only queried why you think they and the period should deserve an unquestioning memorial.

Firstly - The Free Sate witheld the details of the treaty until the morning of the vote, it was only published in the unionist newspapers of the time the Irish Times and Independent ( although Sir Anthony's Irish Independent would obvioulsy still be a unionist - 90 years after ' Independence ' :D ) on the moring of the vote, THEORETICALLY it can be said the people knew what they were voting for, reality wise it was a mega lie to deceive and manipulate the public. If the great, honest founding fathers of the state had nothing to hide, why did they just publish the contents on the morning of the vote ?? And given that the distributuion of newspapers in those days was obviously a hap hazard affair - could it really be said that the people were presented with the full details ??

And secondly - IRELAND HAS NEVER BEEN ALLOWED TO DECIDE IF WE WANT bRITISH OCCUPATION IN ANY PART OF OUR COUNTRY. It was not a vote to decide that Ireland should be partitiioned and british occupation survive, it was a british ultimatim of brit rule to stay in the six counties, take it or leave it. The winning side of a war does not dictate the terms.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - those who were the most vunerable - the nationalists in what was to become the six county secterian gerryamnder - to unionist and british thuggery were abonded. The thugery of the Black and Tans etc was nothing compared to the open pograms across the north - with the lovely lads from England etc leading them on their destruction, looting and murder. And what was the Free State doing while all this statred...... atttacking the IRA in the Four Courts and across Dublin with british supplied artillery and rifles. But then, that's what their british masters demanded of them, it's amazing that their are those who try and portray it as a great step in Irelands struggle for independence.

No eroo, you didn't ask for my opinions, nor indeed anyone else's, I'm just making the point that their is serious questions to be asked about the National/Free State Army and how ' glorious ' their actions were. I for one cannot see how Irishmen attacking and murdering Irishmen at the request of the English war criminal Winston Churchill should be regarded as unquestionably right.

" To the men who intend to do killing, until Englands tyrannies cease "

as usual you forget / refuse to read threads in full and fly off into another tangent, the man asked a question. it is none of your business why he may have more interest in casualties etc of free staters or not. you could have simply suggested or recommended some valuable sources. i see you feel that there might not be such a memorial etc for republicans or even innocent bystanders. well, why dont you investigate that, if its not available, do something constructive

one issue about the free staters or national army death roll (assuming national army is considered by op to be free staters and not the ira/irregualrs), it would be reasonable to assume that records of their deaths and how they died might be a little more assessable and their might actaually have being written documents of it since its the national army.

might be impossible with regard to the other side, i heard the free staters were responsible for extremely hush hush brutality all over the state - eg in kerry getting irregular prisoners to look for landmines and blowing them up etc. those deaths are not types the state would want people to know about.

now for the laughable part, with holding deatils till the morning of the election. are you referring actually confusing yourself to the irish elections of 1922, if so i am really holding my sides here.
    1. the terms, conditions etc were well known by the people before the treaty elections, do you really think the dáilers were the only ones debating the treaty ? not everyone was a laizzer faire as we saw in lisbon treaty you know. sure they would have read the papers about the dail debates the previous christmas - january. you are being comepletly disgenious, do you really think people who went against collins and co in the civil war actually paid much heed to the likes of dev? they made their own minds up. britains threat of continued war did not help! secondly, read the actually minutes from the dail in the debate of december 1921, too much time was spent dig in on lesser important issues such as oath rather than important issues like partition and treaty ports(consider dev's solution of what the oath really meant when he entered dail in 1926, compare the irish oath with that of australia, canada and south africa at the time-big difference)

2. what actually did happen was collins initially made a pact with
    devalera, in order to ensure sinn fein would stand together united under one banner for the elections- flatforms for candiates were split into the same proportion as that which had voted for and against the treaty in the dail the previous december. (basically the other side promised not to put a competing candiate against the other) this pact was not performed, as craig and westminister went mental, collins, trickly, pulled out of the pact the morning of the election, it was an election pact no more no less.

next, the independent back then, was actually not as unionist as you think, (but then again thinking is not really your thing is it?. the origins of the irish independent newspaper had being set up by nationalists and members of the irish parliamentary party- though admittingy anti parnellites and very critical of 1916 and the ira, until members had a word with them of course) i always thought newspapers were easily obtainable back in those days, its not like those two were the only newspapers of the day. care to provide links with your comments. maybe you should pop down to the library and check the papers of the day. politicans went up and down the country prior to this speaking out about the pros and cons of the treaty. if people were misinformed, and no doubt some probably were (look at lisbon) then the blame falls squarely with dev or other people for not convincing the population that the treaty was bad, that and the people had their own opinions. moreover, you fail to have regard to the fact that people, unfortuantely had their fill with over 6 years of violence. country folk were dying of malnurishment, diseases and the tough and tumle of war fare. some had no more heart to continue fighting, they saw the deal as the best that could be got, they believed in collins (who knew better than dev about the details of the war), others unfortuantely did not seem bothered about partition (look at some people's attitude in threads about united ireland in the politics section)

next, the op made no references or implied no reference that free staters deserved a memorial, he simply asked if there is one. it is quiete possible (maybe not) that he/ she would bulke at the idea that there is one, he/she may share your opinion.

as for the north, not much could be argued against this. but, had collins lived, better efforts would have being made alia war of independence style, to free the north, unlike dev who had well over 50 years to do something about it. both anti and pro treaty units were united in their boarder attacks, there are army papers which will support the notion that collins was planning attacks on the north with guns and ammo given by the british. many ira units in the north during civil war supported collins and the free staters (because of collins's intentions with the north)

lastly, i doubt anyone who looks at the civil war can look at it foundly, for it caused deep division and resentment between people in this side of the state and between us and the 6 counties. thus, reasons why civil war tends to be conveniently forgotten, there were no winners and no glory. anyone who thinks different, is in my opinion a bit of a muppet and completly ignorant of irish history of this time. i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The reason I asked about a memorial was that those men were Irishmen. They died defending this State against those who would rather have fought the British despite the certaintity of crushing defeat. They died in a horrible conflict. Forget about the poilitics for a moment. They were Irishmen. Irishmen who disagreed with and fought those who ignored the majority's will. Without them, who knows where this State would be!? Yes there was atrocities, but the Irregulars weren't free of any blame either. Just look at their policy of shooting at Army ambulances in Kerry. Or Knocknagoshel.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

There's quite a few Anti-Treaty soldiers graves and memorials all over the country, but very, very little if any for the dead of the opposite side...

But I think that, Collins Barracks is a good start. There will be a list somewhere for 1921-1922 period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Perhaps they deserve some memorial because they fought (and died) to preserve and create the Irish State most of us live in now. Unless you're on the extreme of Ruari O'Bradaigh and are still at war with the "Free State". Also, they carried out the will of the majority who were sick of conflict. You could argue of course that "the majority have no right to do wrong".

The Irish Independent, pre-Independence, had always been a Nationalist newspaper. As were it's pre-decessors the Daily Irish Indepedent and the Freemans Journal. Go look at the plaque on Abbey Street if your confused about that. The Black and Tan & Civil War IRA did take a dislike to the paper on occassion, but that was simply because this paper had the temerity to criticise some of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Surely the National Army dead from the civil war were commemorated in the garden of rememberance alongside thiose who fought in the War of Independance? If not then perhaps the memorials are not accessable to membors of the public - ie they are within army barracks.

That said I don't really think there are too many memorials to the Anti-treaty IRA around the country. Perhaps in Kerry, but the was there was in many ways an invasion of the county by an outsider Dublin government. Their local IRA was heavily anti-treaty unlike much of the rest of the country where it was more evenly split.

Personally, I think its too late and probably too devisive to put up any new momuments to either side of the Civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Surely the National Army dead from the civil war were commemorated in the garden of rememberance alongside thiose who fought in the War of Independance? If not then perhaps the memorials are not accessable to membors of the public - ie they are within army barracks.

According to Wikipedia
    The Garden commemorates freedom fighters from various uprisings, including:

the 1798 rebellion of the Society of United Irishmen
    the 1803 rebellion of Robert Emmet
    the 1848 rebellion of Young Ireland
    the 1867 rising of the Fenian Brotherhood
    the 1916 Easter Rising of the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizen Army
    the 1919-21 Irish War of Independence of the "Old" IRA

I haven't visited the Garden of Remembrance. Does it have named commemorations?

I'd say the closest there is to a memorial to National Army soldiers is the Army Plot in Glasnevin. Locally they appear to have been air brushed from history.
    That said I don't really think there are too many memorials to the Anti-treaty IRA around the country.

Are you kidding? I can think of 10 or 11 in South Tipperary alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement