Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legend Of Curraghmore Estate

Options
  • 27-10-2008 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

i have searched the internet and i cannot find any info on the curse of curraghmore. legend has it that centuries ago a beggar woman placed a curse on the marquis of waterford and his seven direct decendants to die untimely deaths. if anyone has any info id be delighted to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ah my dad has a load of books on this and other Waterford related history. Its pretty well specc'ed out in an old book called "Portlaw: A Local History" if you can get your hands on a copy.

As far as I can remember reading - The beggar woman's son was killed (either by accident or no, depending on where you read) by either the Lord of the time or his son, and she cursed seven generations of the lords (which supposedly ends with the current lord).

One of the sons was killed in a riding accident.
    There was a tower raised in memory to him (Called the poor tower, or just "The Tower" depending on who you ask - Can still be seen today) and one of the others threw himself/fell from the top of it.

Thats about all I remember, It was about 10 years ago when I was reading up on all this so the memories are a little sketchy.

If your interested in this sort of thing the story of lady catherine and the shell house is quite interesting too. The shell house itself is also worth a visit.

I used to know the whole story of the shell house by rote (my dad had me be one of the informational guides to it on the Curraghmore open days) but i've forgotten it all now.

Theres a dozen more stories relating to curraghmore and ghost stories - Theres part of another one here page 207

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

cool

Advertisement