Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

life after degree?

• 27-10-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Im completing my degree in applied psychology this year. ultimately, I want to get into clinical psychology, one of the courses in either dublin limerick or galway. However, I know its a long slog to get into those courses, and that I need to gain relevant experience. Can anyone recommed the kinds of postions i should take when I finish my degree which would help me get into a clinical psych course?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mc-panda

Well firstly there's the Holy Grail of experience: the Assistant Psychologist. Good luck on that front.

Failing that (or waiting for it), you should consider trying some basic roles such as working for help-lines (e.g.: AWARE, The Samaritans).

Try getting work with populations that a psychologist would ultimately come into contact with. Apply for social care worker and/or care assistant positions with residential care facilities.

There's loads of experience out there. Just be careful not to focus all your attention on whatever you get into first. Once you have, for instance, enough experience with young people; move on. Get some experience within the I.D sector then. Just keep moving; expand your skillsets.

And Good luck. Who knows, I might even see you at the application stages!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Agree with mc-panda, usually they say experience with a potential client group or somewhere a psychologist will be on site, and also that you're under their supervision.

Some research experience wouldn't go amiss either.

Have a look at the clinical slides here http://www.psihq.ie/members_studentNews.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

mc-panda wrote: »
    Failing that (or waiting for it), you should consider trying some basic roles such as working for help-lines (e.g.: AWARE, The Samaritans).

Group facilitation skills with ocdireland? They're often looking for volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Don't forget to focus on obtaining research experience, preferably in a clinical context. Most of the courses have a heavy emphasis on research and will expect you to be up to speed with conducting research. You are supposed to be attending the course to learn how to work clinically with people, but many applicants fall down on their research skills. It´s important to be able to present a profile when applying that suggests you will be able to handle the research component of the course (usually a major thesis and several other pieces of research work) without needing support on acquiring basic research methods and skills. If you have loads of clinical experience but little research experience, you will probably find it difficult to obtain a place.

Best of luck!

Advertisement