Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite place in Waterford for coffee

• 27-10-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

We have the restaurant review thread ticking along nicely so I think I'll go again and start one off for coffee shops.

I spend a fair bit of time looking for nice places to relax over a coffee and read the paper for half an hour but lately I feel the options are narrowing. (The options for everything in Waterford are narrowing).

My usuals/favourites

The Upper Deck - Ardkeen Stores
    - Lively but not too lively. Service is good but the food isnt spectacular in my opinion.

Superquinn
    - Im not sure what the name of the café there is but its nice if you're caught for time. Its fairly busy all the time.

The Park Lodge
    - Lovely if its ever open!! It closes on Saturdays and Sundays at this time of year which is a bit silly. It closes at half 5 as far as I know during the week which is early enough too. The cakes are usually nice too.

The Cove
    - Its a pub I know, but plenty of people use it as a stop off for coffee and a chat. It does the trick and its in a good location.

Cafe Lucia
    - Its a decent little spot in the middle of town, near the Gingerman pub. I find its the nicest place for panninis at breakfast time. The tables are very close together so be prepared to listen to everyone else's business :)

I'd love to know if theres any little gems that I'm missing. So.. If its good to meet someone for a chat and you find it good for a relaxing tea/coffee, lets hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I find the Upper Deck can take an age to get your coffee...

It can be handy though.

The Park Lodge is great when it's open, and not packed full of mom's after dropping their kids off to school :pac:

Haven't been the Cafe Lucia, was in a good few of it's previous names though.

Personally, if I'm in a rush, I'll pop into the Bookcentre, coffee isn't the worst... It needs a wireless connection though :)

My favorite is Harlequinn's, off Patrick st - Strong Italian coffee's, good food (Check their paninni's). The guys in there are all sound and up for a bit of craic. Again... needs a decent wireless connection! Actually, one of the chaps that owns the place opened up another spot on High st, a bit more upmarket, but still open for coffee during the day - Which'll save you walking up that hill :pac:

The place on Micheals St is nice enough, but I've never really liked staying there... That's just me being awkward though. There's a good few wireless connections about there!

I popped into Geoffs yesterday to meet with some new clients because it was the only place I knew for sure that would be open and served coffee... I'm generally not a fan of the place - Well, drinking in there, but the coffee was alright and it was quiet enough - If only you could get them to turn off that ruddy crap music... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lattetude is good for coffee IMO.
    Quiet as well apart from lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

There's a Little Italian beside me on steven street(opposite Spokes) that does very very nice coffee, Never that busy either. My only hang up would be its might not be as comfy as other places in town.

I also like brunch, I often go there for my lunch. Kinda relaxing in their although it can be very busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

The Park Lodge absolute favourite
    followed by Geoffs and
    the other end of town The Granary is fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

yeah have to agree with the park ! on a sunny day (they don't come round too often) its nice to sit outside and people watch !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never was a fan of Cafe Lucia, bit over priced if you ask me and the food isnt great.

I often head up to Brunch, OBriens or that new place in Georges Court.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There are a few decent cafes alright in Waterfird but some just get way too packed... surprised a Starbucks hasnt opened up there yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

well, now i must admit its not the "best" cup of coffee, but the bay cafe atmosphere is always really nice and warm and the view is amazing in good mornings. My friend and I always go their in the mornings and its always great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Granary Cafe at Waterford Treasures Museum. great coffee and free top ups - don't know anywhere else that does that. Great cakes and food also I should add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

magick wrote: »
    well, now i must admit its not the "best" cup of coffee, but the bay cafe atmosphere is always really nice and warm and the view is amazing in good mornings. My friend and I always go their in the mornings and its always great.

I agree. Its the atmosphere and comfort of a place that attracts me. The city cafés are very "wooden floor with scattered tables" ish..

The park cafe is fine but the opening hours are pants. I sometimes think the staff are treated a little bit too 'gruff'. That puts me off about a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Sully wrote: »
    Never was a fan of Cafe Lucia, bit over priced if you ask me and the food isnt great.

I often head up to Brunch, OBriens or that new place in Georges Court.

3 of the most over priced places in waterford. Seriously Brunch you can pay anything up to €5.50 for a prepacked sambo that is full of crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

emo!! wrote: »
    3 of the most over priced places in waterford. Seriously Brunch you can pay anything up to €5.50 for a prepacked sambo that is full of crap.

I usually make up my own sandwidch for about €4, but yes they are over priced.

I felt in Cafe Lucia the portions were small, food & service wasnt great, and very pricy. Shame really, as it has potential.

Trotter wrote: »
    I agree. Its the atmosphere and comfort of a place that attracts me. The city cafés are very "wooden floor with scattered tables" ish..

The park cafe is fine but the opening hours are pants. I sometimes think the staff are treated a little bit too 'gruff'. That puts me off about a place.

yup, you could try the vic cafe (if thats still there) in tramore, now i know its not exactly the city but its nice, though the view is not as good the atmosphere in there is always good,even if its over priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

wrote:
    The dunno 'the kid from brooklyn' might have summit to say about 'starbucks' on youtube tbh!

magick wrote: »
    yup, you could try the vic cafe (if thats still there) in tramore, now i know its not exactly the city but its nice, though the view is not as good the atmosphere in there is always good,even if its over priced.

Now known as the Vee Bistro.

wrote:

The one in City Square is fine, not to much of a fan of the Georges Court place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    I usually make up my own sandwidch for about €4, but yes they are over priced.

I felt in Cafe Lucia the portions were small, food & service wasnt great, and very pricy. Shame really, as it has potential.

Very pricy? Seems average to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Book Centre for me.

The dunno 'the kid from brooklyn' might have summit to say about 'starbucks' on youtube tbh!

starbucks is only ok, its become the mc donalds of coffee.

a great way to measue how good ur local starbucks is by ordering a cappuccino every once in a while (trust me on this) if it tasts like crap then its a starbucks in which the staff dont care, and vice versa if its good.

JPA wrote: »
    Very pricy? Seems average to me.

For what you get, its pricy. I used to go in their often enough, before it changed management, and liked it but its not the best anytime iv been in since (which ill admit isnt much since my last occasion - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234317).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The new cafe where siu sios used to be in high street, to the right of the post office is amazing.
    The coffee is the best in town and the food was excellent, loads of choice and fair price. They serve sandwiches and Italian classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 screwtape

To be honest for me it's still gotta be Geoff's, something about coffee, a paper and a cig out the smoking area of Geoffs somehow just feels like home!!! (not living in Waterford at the minute and Geoffs was always a bit of a home away from home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sack lunch

durrus wrote: »
    Granary Cafe....free top ups

o rly? I thought they only did that in the States :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

screwtape wrote: »
    To be honest for me it's still gotta be Geoff's, something about coffee, a paper and a cig out the smoking area of Geoffs somehow just feels like home!!! (not living in Waterford at the minute and Geoffs was always a bit of a home away from home)

Gotta agree with ya there, a coffee and a newspaper, even propped up at the bar in the corner or out on the smoking area even though I dont smoke, always make a point of going in there when I'm home..

Suppose the fact that I used to work right up until my last day in Waterford has meant I'll always have find memories of the place.. :)

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 screwtape

In fairness Geoffs has always been the default place to go in Waterford!!

Go for a pint??

Yeah. Where??

Don't know??

Geoffs??

Right see ya at nine!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Harlequin does lovely coffee and the staff are really friendly.

I know it's a bit naff, but the Kylemore actually does really nice coffee now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

In fairness that Quizno's in Kylemore does very nice coffee and the Rolls in there aren't half bad either. Not mad about the place itself though I much prefer Brunch, Staff are friendly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Starbucks can be a swing ad a miss. They got starbucks coffee in college and to be honest it's still awful. And I wholeheartedly agree with the cappucino test. Most of the time you can barely taste the coffee in it. The little place beside the book centre is lovely though. Grated I still don't drink that much of it.

You can generally measure a place by its tea as well. If they use Bewley's...don't bother.

Advertisement