Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post grad grants?

• 27-10-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm due to start a phd next week. I was eligable for an undergraduate grant, are grants available to phd students? I'll be living in Cork, and I'm originally from Dublin, so lots more expenses than when I was an undergrad!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A county council grant? I'm afraid you might have left it too late to apply, although there are other grants available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Well I only found out last Thursday that I'd be getting the position. It's Dublin City Council, should I contact them?

Yes definitely. Also look at http://www.irchss.ie/ (although you don't say what you are studying?) I think there is information in the stickies at the top of the forum, and also look at the university website and see if there is any other grants available there.

It's biology. I'll give the CC a shout in the morning. Thanks!

Sorry for the bump but I'm a bit confused...

I was talking to Dublin CC and they said that I'm eligible for a grant, and even though I'm moving away from home (from Dublin to Cork) and going to be paying rent and living completely independantly, I'll only be eligable for the adjacent rate because I'm going straight into a new course and not taking a years break.

Does anyone know if that's right or if I would be eligable for the non-adjacent rate?

• Advertisement

adjacent or non adjacent depends on the distance from your home to the course, if its more than 10 or 15 miles you are non adjacent.

The Councils/VECs went metric a year or two ago - it's now 24km :)

Cork is a bit further from Dublin than that though.

Yeah but apparently because I went straight onto a phd and didnt take a year out it's based on my family home address, and as my family home address is Drumcondra, it's well under the 24 km. It's really annoying because they'll pay fees, even though my fees are already paid!

I'm confused if your home address is Dublin, and you are studying in Cork its non adjacent surely? Myth??

• Advertisement

If you don't take a year out between your Undergrad and Postgrad you are assessed, for some inexplicable reason, on your circumstances when you entered your undergrad. So if you don't take a year out you can't be 're-assessed', you just follow on from what you were the previous year.

The above is my understanding, however I think I saw something before about a 'change in circumstances' including 'residence'. I'll see what I can find.

That'd be cool if you could find something because circumstances really have changed!!

Advertisement