Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK citizen studying at UCD

Options
  • 27-10-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'am thinking of applying to UCD to study in the 09/10 year and was wondering would I be guaranteed accommodation on-campus (being from a different country and all)? Technically I live closer to Dublin than a fair few Irish people (I am from liverpool).

Also because I am a year older than most of the people who will be applying this year (did my A-levels this summer) would I still have to wait until August to find out if I'am accepted? (I have 515 points with the requirement for my course being 420)

Anyone been/is in a similar situation?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wouldn't see why there would be a problem? British folk generally wouldn't be treated any different than anyone from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

mdck90 wrote: »
    Hey, I'am thinking of applying to UCD to study in the 09/10 year and was wondering would I be guaranteed accommodation on-campus (being from a different country and all)? Technically I live closer to Dublin than a fair few Irish people (I am from liverpool).

Yeah but you've got a far tougher job of commuting!

As far as I know distance from UCD is the main criteria that is considered for those looking to live on campus so you've got to be taken into consideration in that regard.

You should give the Accomodation Office an email. You can contact them here:

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/contact.html

Best of luck. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mdck90

thanks for the link hopefully they can give me some info on my chances of getting accommodation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

being from another country is no guarantee of being on campus though. I have known people from abroad who didn't get on campus. just so you know!
    but it might be worth your while to email the accommodation office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mdck90

being from another country is no guarantee of being on campus though. I have known people from abroad who didn't get on campus.

ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I came from England to study in UCD but that was way back in 2004 and i finished this summer gone, fúck me im old now!

I got campus in first year but a lot has changed with regards the rules for eligibility since then...as suggested best thing to do is probable give the accommodation office a call (although i've always found those people useless!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

mdck90 wrote: »
    ouch!

not to say you won't get it, but like everything else in UCD - no guarentees, just hope for the best! make sure you apply as early as you can for campus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

I came here last year from England. I didn't get on-campus accomodation but only because I didn't apply in time. So: as soon as you get your offer accept it and then apply for campus accomodation online. They don't exactly publicise when the deadline is, but i think it was the monday after offers come out.

Also: be aware that you might not be able to avail of the student loan that most UK students do, and that living in Dublin will be very expensive compared to Liverpool.

Check with your Local Authority about the loan, but I still haven't got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

You should also maybe read the other threads on here about security measures on campus accommodation that are being brought in, and maybe look into a nice apartment in Ranelagh instead =)

Advertisement