Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferrari to pull out of F1?

• 27-10-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭

At a recent meeting of the board of Ferrari,they said they would review the teams participation in F1 if standardized engines and transmissions are introduced in 2010.

To me,ill never bother watching F1 again if everything is standardized,there is a name for that,its called A1GP and thats bollox.And if Ferrari were to pull out then the sport would loose so many fans,how many Ferrari flags and hats do you see at any GP?

The powers that be need to sit down and think about this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

F1 shouldn't be standardised - as you said, that's A1GP...

Do like standardised racing but it's for a different class, not F1. F1 is as much about the teams and car development as it is about the driver. Look how Ferrari fortunes changed when Schumacher joined them or Alonso to Renault. It's adds an extra challenge and degree of interest to the sport.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Indycar used to have just 3 chassis back in the mid 1990's and the racing was savage. Im not convinced that any level of standardisation is necessarily a bad thing. I know F1 bored me to tears from 2000 - 2007 despite no standardisation like whats proposed. Theres alot more on the car that the teams can develop individually - suspension, brakes, aerodynamics etc.

I think this is a cost cutting strategy as the other teams are seriously feeling the pinch financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

There are no F1 teams right now on the verge of bankruptcy. Times have moved on from the days of teams like Andrea Moda.

If there was standardised engines wouldn't they still have to be paid for? The FIA hasn't said it was going to provide them for free. Would they be cheaper than what Force India/STR/Red Bull/Williams are paying Ferrari, Renault or Toyota currently? Maybe. Much cheaper?

And besides, nothing the FIA does will reduce what teams will spend. Teams will spend all the money they have on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They'd be better off setting an objective, like telling the teams that for a given weekend you have this much fuel allocation. You can have as much power as you like so long as you don't use more than this amount of fuel. That way you'd have inginuity playing a big part again rather than intelligent engineers being restricted by rules. Also the new technology would eventually filter down to road cars.
    THey could also swap drivers between teams every race so that every driver has to drive a race with every team in a season! Then we'd see who's winning cause of the car or who's good when they finally get a good car! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

zeris wrote: »
    And besides, nothing the FIA does will reduce what teams will spend. Teams will spend all the money they have on something.

Hit the nail on the head there. I think that teams will always spend the money somewhere else rather than spending less.

Would Ferrari be so dissaproving if they were picked to supply the chassis I wonder:confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hit the nail on the head there. I think that teams will always spend the money somewhere else rather than spending less.
    +1
    The race would end up being decided on who spent the most money on aero packages or brakes or whatever.
    It would for sure still be spent and the one with the most will still have an advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Biro wrote: »
    They'd be better off setting an objective, like telling the teams that for a given weekend you have this much fuel allocation. You can have as much power as you like so long as you don't use more than this amount of fuel.

This was done during the turbo era in the mid-80s as a way of limiting horsepower. It did end up a little farcical at times with drivers running out of fuel on the last lap including Mansell fainting while trying to push his car across the line. Not sure if I want to return to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

zeris wrote: »
    This was done during the turbo era in the mid-80s as a way of limiting horsepower. It did end up a little farcical at times with drivers running out of fuel on the last lap including Mansell fainting while trying to push his car across the line. Not sure if I want to return to that.

It wouldn't go back to that these days though, as they know when the car is about to run out with the telemetry. They could incur a time penalty of sorts for a refuel beyond their allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i was listening to the setanta guy at teh last race pratice.. and he was saying that most of the teams use the same company to many there front wheel hubs. now the compnay charges about 100 grand to make 1.. now he said that its basicly teh same design for all the teams but with small changes.. he said if they standerize them componantes. that will save money... 20 grand v 100 grand x4 x 20 cars a year... and this could be for a lot more parts but yet have different cars so to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Biro wrote: »
    It wouldn't go back to that these days though, as they know when the car is about to run out with the telemetry. They could incur a time penalty of sorts for a refuel beyond their allocation.

Aye, they do this in motogp and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

they re bluffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Can you imagine the new engines being delivered to Mercedes ... WTF are these.. we make our own...

If Ferrari can have a con rod problem think what happens if the same or similar problem arose, opps sorry no finishers for this race, apply the knock back theory who completed the most ... Oik we'll go on grid posditions....

Yer right... Spanky's head would roll for that one.

The FIA new motto :

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life."

Advertisement