Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody studying BIS in college.......... i need advise

Options
  • 27-10-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

looking through college courses on qualifax and i talked to lectures at open days. it looks good and there are loads of career opportunities but i need to know what the students think................please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

doesnt have to be in UCD

please reply

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jaysis give people more than 17 minutes to reply. Your CAO is not due until February.

i still need to find out about the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

No need to beg, though. Is there a Business Information Systems course in UCD? Or are you asking about MIS stream in third Commerce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

This is no specific intake into BIS in UCD. You can do the BComm and choose MIS subjects. Yes, there are loads of jobs, but you'd never think it to look at the BComm, where students prefer accountancy because their Da is one or marketing etc because it doesn't involve those complicated computers.

i didnt mean for this thread to be in ucd (im new to boards)
    and im really interested in computers nd hate accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're really interested in computers, go do CS...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

There is a broader issue here. Some courses have denominated entry into quite a specific combination of subjects, BIS in UCC is one example of this. Other programmes have a general omnibus entry, with the possibility of choosing options of interest within the programme. The likes of the BA is a good example of this, in this case the BComm in UCD offers MIS options.

Students choosing university courses are often unfairly dismissive of the broader programme with options and so these sometimes end up with lower points requirements. These programmes give you a chance to experience a range of subjects and then pick what you want. Before you come to university you can't always have a good understanding of what these courses exactly involve.

A career in business IS requires some knowledge of accounting and the BIS degree in UCC covers such things as Economics, Accounting, Management and Marketing too.

Whats MIS anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Management Information Systems

i thought u studied mis in bis
    wel u do in tralee anyway

the bis course sounds too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mr kilo wrote: »
    the bis course sounds too good to be true
    BIS is essentially a computer course with a business flavour. If you don't like computers, move along.

is there alot of accounting involved.
    like computers,,,,,,,,,,,hate accounting

Advertisement