Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between an I.T> and a University

• 27-10-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Im a bit confused here. I dont understand why the points are so much lower in IT,s. If anybody knows then please leave a comment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

please reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

As far as I know,it is because Unis do Lvl 8 NFQs whereas as if you do a Diploma/degree in an IT,it will take longer as you will have to attend a place where you can get a full honours degree(after IT).That is the dif afaik,but I could be a bit off.
    In other words an IT is the long way around

wel i was looking at a corse in IT Tralee and its a 4 year level 8. its a BIS corse.
    i looked at a simular corse in NUIG and there is no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

GA361 wrote: »

ITs have been offering the same level qualifications as Universities for several years with the same time frame. An honours degree from an IT is the same as a University's.

Points are lower in the ITs because of demand. More applicants want to attend Unis so points are higher - as to whether the courses are better in Unis than ITs, varies across colleges and courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Yeah I noticed that about some courses .And I would be a bit hazy about the dif.
    Maybe this might help

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/about.html

• Advertisement

thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

GA361 wrote: »
    As far as I know,it is because Unis do Lvl 8 NFQs whereas as if you do a Diploma/degree in an IT,it will take longer as you will have to attend a place where you can get a full honours degree(after IT).That is the dif afaik,but I could be a bit off.

Miles off I'm afraid. As per granturismo's post there is little if any difference.
    mr kilo wrote: »
    Im a bit confused here. I dont understand why the points are so much lower in IT,s. If anybody knows then please leave a comment.

The differences between unis and IOT’s are a combination of history, geography and mission. The Uni sector has traditionally had a teaching and research mission, awarding honours degrees and doctorates. In the past the IOT's awarded diplomas, certs and ordinary degrees (NQF L7).

IOT's now have devolved power to award their own degrees (and in some cases PhD's) and in this respect are no longer significantly different to the Uni's. Again as granturismo said it is mostly a demand issue, however check the programmes you are comparing. Some IOT's still offer level 7 ordinary degrees which they find more difficult to fill and as a result the points are lower for these programmes. You can complete a level 7 and then add an extra year (at the same IOT) to get the honours qualification at level 8. Comparing a B.Eng at an IOT (level 7) to a B.Eng at Uni (level 8) is obviously apples and pears and the points will therefore be markedly different. Bear in mind many IOT’s now offer level 8 degrees; there is a points difference there too (even comparing IOT L8 vs. Uni L8), this is likely a demand and geography driven anomaly.

As a positive, the IOT's are often more industry or business focused as part of their sectoral and regional missions. They seek to engage with local industry and provide future manpower to industry through focused degree programmes. While the IOT's are sometimes looked upon less favourably than the Uni's the reality is that many employers actively seek their graduates.

Any remaining gaps between the Uni and IOT sectors are therefore more out of mission and institutional strategy than any quality issue. Some IOT's have looked for university status, this is generally driven by international rather than national aims; they seek the university moniker so as to enable themselves to better promote their institution outside Ireland.

A number of IOT's also have significant collaborations with local unis too; CIT and UCC, LIT and UL/MIC and so on. Such tie-ups often offer students the best of both worlds.

If you are trying to make a decision, perhaps it is best to look for a programme that suits you and one that offers good employment prospects rather than be overly concerned with the Uni or IOT status of the institution.

Hope this helps.

thanks. v helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

can you transfer from an it course to a uni course.

im stumped and i need help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

when i briefly studied social class, i found out that on the scale they use (ABC1 etc) a student who attends a university is ranked higher than one in an IT

the only thing lower than that was unemployed :( i wasn't happy with this obliviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

marbar wrote: »
    when i briefly studied social class, i found out that on the scale they use (ABC1 etc) a student who attends a university is ranked higher than one in an IT

the only thing lower than that was unemployed :( i wasn't happy with this obliviously

It really depends on the course to be honest.
    For example DIT computer science(level 8) students are supposedly more attractive than UCD comp science students for employers.

They are supposedly better equipped to settle into a work environment upon graduation and have more practical skills.

Uni's are typically more theoretical learning than hands on skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

LIT: Where the girls are half as smart and therefore twice as likely to fellate me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Like most IT's offer the same degree's but universities get a lot more funding and the facilities are a lot better (werll its true here in limerick if you look at the difference between UL and LIT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yeah unis get more funding.
    ITs can be more focused on practical skills than on theory, but that's not always the case.
    Smaller colleges tend to be lesss beareaucratic though. They make you jump through all sorts of hoops in UCD and UL for things that require 10 minutes in WIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Am I the only one wondering why this ended up in UL?

Advertisement