Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the UFC didnt have enough of your money - UFC 95

Options
  • 27-10-2008 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=1299

27/10/08

Exclusive: UFC returns to London on February 21st 2009

The UFC will return to London, England on Saturday 21st February 2009, Fighters Only can exclusively report.

Sources contacted Fighters Only at the weekend to reveal that UFC 95 will take place at the O2 Arena. It will be the third time that the organisation has used the venue.

No fights have been announced for the event as yet, but rumours have circulated that Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell are among a list of possible performers.

Liddell was due to headline the last London event – UFC 85 – in a bout with Rashad Evans, but was forced to pull out due to injury.

Recent signings and last week’s UFC 89 card would also suggest that UFC 95 will be heavy with British fighters such as Paul Taylor and Dan Hardy.

John Joe O’Regan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

+1
    Think they could have spread the UK & Ireland events out a bit better. Two trips in the space of a couple of weeks is not good for the aul sheckles. Plus with the Ultimate Fighter season 9 kicking off you won't see Bisping fighting until I'd say at the earliest July of next year.
    Went to the last two shows in England and can say that the O2 is a great venue for UFC but I think with the shambles of the last event there at UFC 85 i.e. Liddell getting injured and Leben not getting a VISA to fight Bisping due to DUI they need a big draw this time as tickets for that show were much more expensive than the Birmingham one where I had a better view for the same price.
    Putting too many UK fighters on the card doesn't do well either especially when they want to expand in Europe they need big draws like Liddell, Anderson Silva. Plus is this show going to be another Spike free be with the Super Bowl weekend one a week or two weeks before it the UFC will be concentrating on that card to stack and just throw a load of crap at us again.
    Will have to wait and see though.
    No title fight apart from middleweight and heavyweight could be main event.
    Could it be the undisputed heavyweight tilte fight for that event not sure as they'd probably save that for Vegas.
    Anderson Silva basically has no realistic opponent except maybe Demian Maia at that point in time (i.e.Bisping,Henderson,Franklin unavailable) or a Cote rematch unless he moves up to 205 to fight Liddell. That I would pay to see.
    Liddell vs Luiz Cane would be good match after his win over the overhyped Sokodjou.
    At least we won't have to see boring Vera fight again thank god. He'll be saved for the Philippines show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If true, Ill miss this as well as I have a stag to go to in Newcastle that same weekend.

Still, is there a possibility of overkill? 3 shows in 14/15 weeks in Ireland UK.

This is likely to be the first London UFC I'll miss, just cannot afford it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BUMP FOR DETAILS:
    UFC 95: LONDON, GB FIGHT CLUB PRE-SALE STARTS MONDAY, NOVEMBER 17 - 9 AM GMT

The Fight Club Pre-sale for UFC 95 in London, GB on February 21, 2009 starts Monday, November 17 at 9 AM GMT.

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR UNIQUE PRE-SALE CODE (UK) from the EVENTS page, then click on the pre-sale tickets link next to the UFC 95 event listing to input your code and access tickets on Ticketmaster.com.

Remember that you must be an Ultimate UFC Fight Club member to receive a pre-sale code. If you have the $24.99 online only membership, you can go to the 'Account' page at anytime to upgrade your membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The only way I'd think about going is if Anderson Silva's on the card.

• Advertisement

The only way I'd think about going is if Anderson Silva's on the card.

link

You may need to start saving so:
    UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (23-4) could take another break from the 185-pound division and trade leather with former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell (21-6) in a special 205-pound match up in the works for the UFC 95 main event, according to The Sun.

UFC 95 was actually just made official today for the O2 Arena in London, England, on February 21.

Liddell was supposed to collide with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 85: “Bedlam” earlier this year at the venue but injuries to both fighters forced them off the card, leaving British fans feeling a bit empty after shelling out their hard-earned Euros to see the “Iceman” headline a show.

Perhaps this is the promotion’s way of making up for that unfortunate situation.

The match up, if it happens, will more than likely be a little bitter sweet, considering Liddell has lost three of his last four fights — he’s no longer the same fighter who dominated the division for two years up until 2007. Nonetheless, he is still a huge draw and a very popular fighter who is very capable of putting on a great show.

Liddell was most recently on the wrong end of a vicious knockout at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” courtesy of Rashad Evans. Before the loss, he had his sights on getting back in the title hunt after a thrilling unanimous decision win over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79: “Nemesis” on December 27, 2007.

By the time he next steps inside the Octagon Liddell will be 40 years old.

Silva has been unstoppable ever since he made his UFC debut in 2006, rattling off a ridiculous eight-fight win streak. He has not gone the distance, or beyond the third round for that matter, in any of those fights. “The Spider” essentially cleaned out the division and has now begun considering and taking fights 20 pounds north of his middleweight division limit to keep himself challenged.

In fact, he thrashed James Irvin in his 205-pound debut via first round technical knockout at UFC Fight Night 14 this past July.

Silva most recently defended his 185 title against Patrick Cote in a bizarre bout at UFC 90 last month, which ended when “The Predator” went down with a freak knee injury and could not continue. Before the collapse of the Canadian, Silva was bouncing, dancing and perhaps showboating, resulting in a negative reaction from several fans and critics.

He’s eager to get back in the cage to remind everyone what he’s capable of … and Liddell could be the man that Silva takes out his frustration on if the bout comes together, which is not the most envious position to be in for Liddell.

I dunno how much to read into it given their source is "The Sun" but that's another rumour for the rumour mill anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

stupid recession

might make it for Silva, but thats about it

UFC are taking the piss, releasing tickets for an event with only one fight scheduled thus far

I dunno how much to read into it given their source is "The Sun" but that's another rumour for the rumour mill anyway.

The Sun Online has always done first class coverage of MMA & Pro Wrestling IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

anyone know who is fighting at ufc 95 in london on feb 21st.looked on the website but no fightcard or main event announced.very strange considering tickets go on sale to public tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

It's rumoured to be Chuck V Anderson -

Bad night for Chuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

RNCFAN wrote: »

Bad night for Chuck.

Chuck will get Ko'd again if that's true.

Merged threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

RNCFAN wrote: »

Bad night for Chuck.
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Chuck will get Ko'd again if that's true.

I strongly disagree boys. He has the rights skills to dismantle Silva ie a huge overhand right and afterall it only takes one punch. Undoubtedly Silva is a much more rounded fighter but Chuck would have a size/power advantage (which could negate some of Silva's effectiveness/ the clinch) and me roaring him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Killme00 wrote: »
    Chuck would have a size/power advantage

Would he? Anderson weighed 220lbs when he fought at lightheavyweight, that might be heavier than Chuck fights at these days. I'd give Anderson the power advantage. I'd say that he'd win the fight easily

I strongly disagree boys. He has the rights skills to dismantle Silva ie a huge overhand right and afterall it only takes one punch. Undoubtedly Silva is a much more rounded fighter but Chuck would have a size/power advantage (which could negate some of Silva's effectiveness/ the clinch) and me roaring him on.

Looks like its gonna be a fight with Randy at HW now anyway
    After competing in three legendary light-heavyweight fights, former UFC champions Randy Couture (16-9 MMA, 13-6 UFC) and Chuck Liddell (21-6 MMA, 16-5 UFC) could now meet during a heavyweight encounter at a June 13 event in Cologne, Germany.

The report comes from the U.K.-based The Sun, which cites UFC officials as saying Liddell has been offered the heavyweight main event.

Couture recently lost his heavyweight belt to Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. Liddell, meanwhile, has dropped three of his four past fights at light heavyweight, but he's made no public statement regarding a potential move up to heavyweight.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13320/report-randy-couture-vs-chuck-liddell-iv-in-works-for-germany-event.mma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Chuck's striking hasn't evolved over the years. His keep his hands at his waist, lead with his chin and throw nothing but Hail Mary's/Haymakers may work with grapplers with little striking but Anderson will nail harder than Rampage and Rashad did.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Chuck's striking hasn't evolved over the years. His keep his hands at his waist, lead with his chin and throw nothing but Hail Mary's/Haymakers may work with grapplers with little striking but Anderson will nail harder than Rampage and Rashad did.

QFT.

If Rashad can time him you can bet Anderson would've been able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that the UFC are kind of stuck for a main event for this PPV

They wanted Anderson Silva vs Thales Leites in a title fight, but Silva said he wouldn't be ready. They tried to get Sherk vs Diego Sanchez in a lightweight fight but Sherk just had knee surgery

They've got nothing lined up at the moment. Although 91 was the same until Couture decided to come back :pac:

It is cursed I tell ya

Advertisement