Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term IT contractor being made redundant

Options
  • 27-10-2008 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi there. i am a long term IT contractor for an Irish Software Development company. I have been with them 6+ years. I never received any pay from any other company in that time. I was paid a daily rate that was basically a suitable permanent salary divided by the number of working days.

I am now being made redundant. Fair enough - times are tough and I guess contractors are the first to go. However, I have a question about my legal status here w.r.t. redundancy: should I be treated like a permanent employee for the purposes of redendancy? I remember reading somewhere (long forgotton) that if a person works for a single company - contractor or not - exclusively for more than 2 years then they are considered to be permanent.

thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Did you pay your own tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes, I paid all my taxes etc.. I was contracting under a limited company.

Advertisement