Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty-two acres of dairy pasture: how would you change it to woodland?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I will have about 22 acres of pasture in the Golden Vale. The soil is a good, fertile loam. A narrow stretch of land in the centre floods slightly in the winter because there's an underground stream there, but the land is 95% well drained . The fields were used for grazing and silage for nearly thirty years, and are quite low lying.

I'd love to plant a native deciduous woodland on it, to simulate the ancient forests of Ireland. I'd like oak to be the primary tree, and also to include some elm, ash and hazel.

I'm wondering though, where do I start? Should I plough the field first? If I want to encourage wildlife to live there, particularly hedgehogs, badgers and foxes as well as birds, should I think about getting a JCB to create artificial humps, hollows and ridges rather than leave the field gently sloping, as it is? What about spacing between trees? I don't want my woodland to be overly dense: I'd like to have it so that it resembles a natural wood, complete will dells and the odd glade. What other species should I include?

Many thanks for the anticipated help and advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

A good shovel and some elbow greese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

The first thing I'd do is make use of the boggy bit of land. Water is fantastic for wildlife. Get in a JCB and excavate a decent (deep) pond and watch the wildlife and birds flock in.

For the trees have a look at this website www.treecouncil.ie. They have a lot of useful links on their website, that will give you ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I wouldnt worry so much about the trees but getting a digger in for the pond and putting in some raises and humps will encourage badgers also think about leaving piles on rotten wood sporadically and put up as many nest boxes as possible,even before your trees mature you will have excellent wildlife attracted naturally,i wish i had 22 acres to do that youa re very lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

Furet wrote: »
    I will have about 22 acres of pasture in the Golden Vale. The soil is a good, fertile loam. A narrow stretch of land in the centre floods slightly in the winter because there's an underground stream there, but the land is 95% well drained . The fields were used for grazing and silage for nearly thirty years, and are quite low lying.

I'd love to plant a native deciduous woodland on it, to simulate the ancient forests of Ireland. I'd like oak to be the primary tree, and also to include some elm, ash and hazel.

I'm wondering though, where do I start? Should I plough the field first? If I want to encourage wildlife to live there, particularly hedgehogs, badgers and foxes as well as birds, should I think about getting a JCB to create artificial humps, hollows and ridges rather than leave the field gently sloping, as it is? What about spacing between trees? I don't want my woodland to be overly dense: I'd like to have it so that it resembles a natural wood, complete will dells and the odd glade. What other species should I include?

Many thanks for the anticipated help and advice.

Fantastic and fair play to you.
    As above ponds are fantastic to attract birds, frogs etc. I planted out a woodland 18years ago just onto grass land (12 Acres), planted 1800 trees, 2004 I thinned it out only keeping the best trees, it is starting to naturally look like a woodland now. It is a slow process but nature is wonderful.
    if I were you I would assess the surrounding area for species and type of wildlife that you can attract and plant according to their requirements. Check with local authorities you will get help with this great venture.

good luck and keep me posted how you are getting on.

regards
    Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why don't you organise a plant a tree day with some of the local school kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

coillte give grants for this work if i remember correctly,i dont know if your plot falls under the size requirments but check it out coillte.ie methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 avs0020

I know Coilte have a system of either giving you money or giving your hard woods. It has to be worth a call to them. Good luck. I am so jealous of your good fortune. What a wonderful project.

Advertisement