Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car in north of Ireland

Options
  • 27-10-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just wondering does anyone know how this works. I own a house in Belfast but do not live there. Does that mean I can buying a northern reg car or am I subject to VRT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from the Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you are resident here you cannot avoid VRT. You will likely get away with having a Northern reg car down here if you have a Northern licence and the Belfast address, but you still run a huge risk of being caught. If you've a southern licence you may as well forget it.

edit: to add, "get away for a period of time". After 6 months or so you're basically a sitting duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭md23040

BrendaB wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know how this works. I own a house in Belfast but do not live there. Does that mean I can buying a northern reg car or am I subject to VRT?

You are neither habitually resident nor registered with HMRC for primary taxation therefore you are not entitled to a UK vehicle, exempt of VRT. The only connection to HMRC if applicable will be to taxation on foreign rent earning, that is if the property is let. Unfortunately UK taxation entitles no benefits from the UK system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BrendaB

md23040 wrote: »
    You are neither habitually resident nor registered with HMRC for primary taxation therefore you are not entitled to a UK vehicle, exempt of VRT. The only connection to HMRC if applicable will be to taxation on foreign rent earning, that is if the property is let. Unfortunately UK taxation entitles no benefits from the UK system.

Thought as much! Thanks for that.

Advertisement