Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 08 Results on TV?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Firstly, how long does it usually take before the first results start to come out? I can't remember the last one to be honest! Actually it's done electronically isn't it? So it shouldn't be too long. Any ideas what time in the day/morning they'll start to come out?

What's the best place to track the results? CNN, Fox, etc., will be following them of course. I presume the BBC will too? RTÉ?

So where will ye lot be following them? :) I'll probs take the day off college/work for it, lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Daily show coverage ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Keep in mind that if this presidential election is close, it will probably be similar to the 2000 Gore v. Bush election, with the results not determined for days, perhaps weeks, with one side or the other crying voter fraud or voting errors or undercounts or whatever...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'll be staying up as I did for the Presidential and Vice-president debate(s).

I know, I need to get a life lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Will the Daily Show live election be available to watch in Ireland? either online or on More 4? or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Lots of election coverage from around midnight until 6/7am on RTE, BBC and ITV. I will watch Fox every so often for the laugh though :D

Doesn't seem to be any way to watch the daily show on tv that night. Damn it. If anyone knows an online way to watch it live it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Daily show broadcasts on CNN, which will be doing dedicated coverage, so it looks like the Daily Show will have to do it online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the daily show broadcasts on comedy central..

Guess if I can't watch it through Sky (which I will) I could always get an American proxy and surf the U.S. stations live broadcasts!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

To watch Daily Show live on the 'net download and install TVUPLayer and find the Comedy Central channel.

*mods this software is usually freely promoted and allowed by the sports/scooer mods. UP to you if you want to remove this post or not.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    To watch Daily Show live on the 'net download and install TVUPLayer and find the Comedy Central channel.

*mods this software is usually freely promoted and allowed by the sports/scooer mods. UP to you if you want to remove this post or not.

Thanks for the info, and yes, I can confirm its free from their site.
    Great sharing Ponster. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's not a question of it being free but if it's legal or not. The program is legal. The content may not be. *normally* most mods will allow links to it as the program itself is fine.

In the same way we allow links to youtube.com even though via youtube it's possible to find other stuff that may not be legal...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

GY is an experienced Soccer mod so I'll leave it to him to call on the software. From my research it appears not to be illegal to use... choosing those words carefully.

Ponster wrote: »
    It's not a question of it being free but if it's legal or not. The program is legal. The content may not be. *normally* most mods will allow links to it as the program itself is fine.

In the same way we allow links to youtube.com even though via youtube it's possible to find other stuff that may not be legal...

(Don't want to get away from the subject but the same could be said for an internet browser to a certain extent!
    We're not responsible for the content even though we get that for free)

..But ya, looking forwards to see what he has to say for 30 minutes.
    It will be a case of spotting the starts in the background as they subtlety advertise their support for Obama.

Anyone want to take a guess how many they will use? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

cnn electoral map now shows Obama taking Colorado. Meanwhile battlefield polls suggest he has a fair chance of taking Nevada. Indiana is now no longer a McCain leaning state but has become a battleground. Washington State has become a Secured Obama state.

To win, McCain needs to take ALL of the battlegound states, Then take Pennsylvania, leaning Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Exit polls and such like will start coming in from 2am on from memory. If it's the walkover it threatens to be then the networks will likely call it for Obama straight away. If it's closer ala 2004 I recall the result being known at around 7am. The result should be known at morning unless something like 2000 happens again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

:o
    Keep in mind that if this presidential election is close, it will probably be similar to the 2000 Gore v. Bush election, with the results not determined for days, perhaps weeks, with one side or the other crying voter fraud or voting errors or undercounts or whatever...

don't forget hanging chads.

cooker3 wrote: »
    Exit polls and such like will start coming in from 2am on from memory. If it's the walkover it threatens to be then the networks will likely call it for Obama straight away. If it's closer ala 2004 I recall the result being known at around 7am. The result should be known at morning unless something like 2000 happens again

I would say get some sleep. This is going to be a very tight race. If Obama does win it won't be by as large a margin want to believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    :o

don't forget hanging chads.
    or pregnant chads

but seriously hasnt' there been a lot of scaremongering about warrants and stuff waiting at the voting stations ?

or pregnant chads

but seriously hasnt' there been a lot of scaremongering about warrants and stuff waiting at the voting stations ?

Yeah there has. Both sides are lawyering up in the swing states. Man I yearn for the days when a Presidential election was decided without controversy. If McCain or Obama really want to clinch it they should promise voting reform because all this nonsense turns off more voters then it does encouraging them to vote.

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yeah there has. Both sides are lawyering up in the swing states. Man I yearn for the days when a Presidential election was decided without controversy. If McCain or Obama really want to clinch it they should promise voting reform because all this nonsense turns off more voters then it does encouraging them to vote.

Never truer words have been spoken.
    It would be dis-heartening now that so many more (than normal) have become interested in the running of their own country, to see the whole process once again return to a legal mess within the courts.
    Lets be honest, one side or the other will claim that the court might be biased to the other side, depending on who loses.
    ...if all that happens!

Biggins wrote: »
    Never truer words have been spoken.
    It would be dis-heartening now that so many more (than normal) have become interested in the running of their own country, to see the whole process once again return to a legal mess within the courts.
    Lets be honest, one side or the other will claim that the court might be biased to the other side, depending on who loses.
    ...if all that happens!

Thanks Biggins. Unfortunately neither side wants to do anything about it. Its a ready made excuse for either side. If McCain wins on Tues the Dems will be crying about voter suppression and rigged voting machines and if Obama wins the Reps will be crying about voter fraud, Acorn registering people times, Ohio Govt allowing people to use a park bench in Ohio as a vaild address. I think all the American regardless of party affiliation should be disgusted by this and demand their representatives clean up this mess.

Advertisement