Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphics Card?!?!?!

Options
  • 27-10-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 530. I've had the computer for a while now and it came installed with a 128mb NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS. I'm looking at upgrading this to something that will *cough* play World of Warcraft better.:o

I currently only get about 30fps at a resolution of 1024x768.
    My current monitor supports up to 1680x1050. So I would like a graphics card that could get me something close to that and also with good framerate, if possible. Is there anything I need to look out for in terms of compatibility, what will work with my computer and what wont??

I'm looking for a card that isn't too expensive, so the cheaper the better. :)

Would anyone here please be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Whats the spec of the rest of your pc?

Whats your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You've got two options, even on a cheap budget and a limited dell power supply, thanks to the hardware friendly nature of World of Warcraft: A card that'll play WoW on high settings at that resolution flawlessly, or a card that will do that and also cope quite well with recent titles.

The former

The latter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If you can stretch to this card and your psu will run it would be worth the extra money
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346595

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Definitely go with the 4670..

It won't have any power issues 9doesnt require an extra power connection) and is actually quite close to the 9600GT in performance, even beats it in a few games..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

jonny72 wrote: »
    Definitely go with the 4670..

It won't have any power issues 9doesnt require an extra power connection) and is actually quite close to the 9600GT in performance, even beats it in a few games..

I agree with Terror and Jonny, go for the 4670.

Its an exceptional card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive got a Dimension E520 here. Last week we threw out the 305 Watt power supply, threw out the Geforce 7300 LE, then we jerry-rigged an Antec 550W supply in (the case is only meant to support Dell power supplies...I used cable ties and ingenuity) and an ATI 4850. The good news there is, yes, it will all fit. And cost 115+185 = $300 dollars. But it runs just about everything like butter @ 1650x1050x32-bit

The only snag in the deal for you might be the need to increase your power output to at least 450W. On a budget, go with the 4670, but I've read some web-comments that suggest even the 4850 will run on 300 watts depending on what you do to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Thanks for the suggesions, seems relatively straight forward.

I assume there won't be any issues with the graphics card fitting in the case or any small issue like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The 4850 only left about an inch of clearance from the big plastic air-duct thing, so Whatever the card length for the 4850 is. dont get anything longer than it. Otherwise yes you should be grand. The 530 case will fit a double-slot video card if you need it to as well.

edit: 23cm long, if google serves truly.

Advertisement