Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infant travelling to the uk

Options
  • 28-10-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Will I need to get a passport for her or will her birth certificate do? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I would check with your airline/ferry service. Officially (i.e. from the department of foreign affairs) a passport is not required for travel to the UK, but some airlines want photo I.D. (does your daughter have a driver's licence or Garda ID yet? :P) in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My sister hasn't had problems going to and from the UK with baby and without a passport.

She has a way of getting away with stuff though. Pulls off the whole blondie bimbo thing very well when the situation calls for it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Having lived in uk for 6 years and had one child over there with countless trips over and back to see nanny and grandad I have always used a birth cert and have never had any problem with it. Make sure its the long birthcert that has both parents names on it and that you both have your own id/passport in those names (my passport is in my maden name).

Some airlines can be a bit usless and inforce policies that no other airline will, but if you are flying with airlingus you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Interesting factoid -- Ryanair do not require ID for children under 16, but advise that you carry the childs birth cert just in case.

Its very rare to be stopped and asked for ID on the ferries if you have a car, but they do pull random checks every now and then. I have noticed that Irish Ferries late-night ferry from Dublin to Holyhead is almost a nonstop job, I have only ever been asked for the ticket there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

last time i went to the UK with my son, i forgot his passport. i really thought that was it, i wouldn't be allowed on the plane etc. The person at check in advised me that absolutely no documents whatsoever are needed for travel to and from the UK for the child if he's travelling with an adult. But like all things to do with travel always better to be safe than sorry, so birth certificate or other id is best taken along

• Advertisement
Advertisement