Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journals / articles available for free?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm just doing a bit of research for a psychology essay, and alot of the articles I'd like to read require purchasing or subscription.

I'm wondering, are there any websites similar to JSTOR which allow students free access on campus? eg. does NewScientist permit this, no?

Or failing that, does the college have a subscription to many journals and magazines, which they then make available to students via the library? I would assume they do, but have never checked...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm sure there are many print copies available in the library, but I've mostly used the online facilities. I think this is the full, searchable list of all the journals/etc that the college has access to online.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Go to www.pubmed.com. I'm not sure if they have pyschology papers but they have all published scientific papers. However, not all are free. If you're using a campus computer you will be able to read most of them. The more recently published papers will still require a subscription.

If that fails then try the library's online journal database http://jq6am9xs3s.search.serialssolutions.com/
    Alot tricker to navigate but can be worth it if your find what you need.

Good luck with the essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm just doing a bit of research for a psychology essay, and alot of the articles I'd like to read require purchasing or subscription.

I'm wondering, are there any websites similar to JSTOR which allow students free access on campus? eg. does NewScientist permit this, no?

Or failing that, does the college have a subscription to many journals and magazines, which they then make available to students via the library? I would assume they do, but have never checked...

Cheers
    They have a subscription to loads. Just google jstor or a library computer. Or ask at the issue or help desk the librarians are great. (Only good part of UCD IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

You can also get access to most of the journals UCD has subscriptions to at home by installing an off-campus cookie. There are instructions about how to do this here...tis very handy!

Advertisement