Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange request. Healthfood shop

Options
  • 28-10-2008 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Has anybody heard of ear candles. I've a dullness in my ears due to a sinus infection, and seen on telly that these can help. Does anybody know anything about these. What are they called.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Off the top of my head its something like hopi candling but I know a lot of beauticians do it so I'd recommend going to someone who is trained rather than doing it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Off the top of my head its something like hopi candling but I know a lot of beauticians do it so I'd recommend going to someone who is trained rather than doing it at home.

+ 1, you really don't want to be messing about with your ears when you're not sure what you're doing!. I've heard good reports about ear candles/ hopi candling so you should give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've seen them advertised passing those chinese herbal/healing type places?
    Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They are fairly safe and you don't need training to use them. You just need to stick it in your ear, light it and it sucks up the wax. Don't expect the whole tube to fill though, about an inch at the very most.
    It is easier if you have someone else holding the candle.

They are ridculious easy to use, you just need someone else to hold them in place. They have a safety filter.
    They cost about a tenner, and I've seen the the "treatment advertised at 70 euro. For 20 minutes of candle holding!
    Biosun make ones that smell nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

thought i saw those in chinese health shop in the Pavillions, Swords.

Honey-ec wrote: »

To be fair, they aren't meant to get rid of ear wax.
    They are supposed to balance the pressure inside your ear, and soothe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I worked in the ENT section in a hospital for a spell, a large percentage of the ear patients transferred from A&E was because of this new craze, one case was by a nurse in said hospital, a very embarrased nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go to your chemist and ask for ear drops to break down ear wax.
    If that doesnt work go to your dr and get them syringed.
    Personaly I think the whole ear candling thing is a heap of shíte.

• Advertisement

She Devil wrote: »
    I worked in the ENT section in a hospital for a spell, a large percentage of the ear patients transferred from A&E was because of this new craze, one case was by a nurse in said hospital, a very embarrased nurse.

Cripes! :eek:
    Are they using proper candles as directed? I can't believe someone wouldn't sue the manufacturers/beauticians, if they ended up in A and E because of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Anybody with serious ear problems is advised not to use hopi/ear cnadles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks for your replies. Ive been at the docs today. Should of went wks ago but never had time and couldnt get a doc when i did have time.

Anyways the dullness in my ears is due to pressure from the sinus infection and not wax, but i knew that coz it happens on a regular basis. Think the candles would benefit me but i'll get it done professionly, after i'm finished with my antibs.

After what she devil wrote i wont be doing that job on my own. I dont want to set myself up in flames. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sounds to me like the greatest load of bollockology since the last hippy-dippy new-age craze shíte, whatever that was. :rolleyes:

darling.x wrote: »
    After what she devil wrote i wont be doing that job on my own. I dont want to set myself up in flames. Thanks for all the replies.

From the link Honey put up, I think they end up in casulaty because wax drips onto their ear drums.
    Ouch!

Although the biosun ones have a safety filter to stop that happening.
    Still better safe than sorry.

I had a horrible ear infection earlier in the year.
    The chemist in boots came me this nasal spray stuff.
    That instantly cleared my sinuses for a few hours and it helped loads.
    Can't remember the name.
    But if your interested just ask at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

A friend of mine suffers really badly with sinus infections and problems and decided to try sinus washes. Now she swears by them, has helped her no end. It's like a really good nazal spray, and you can get the kit in your local pharmacy or boots. She says it's no more unpleasant than going swimming (so not at all).

As for the candling, the general consensus seems to be that it is in fact a big shambo, shenannigans, codology, malarkey...I could go on. Be very careful with your ears, hearing loss is no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

SCAM!!!!!!!!!

Total b/s and @anyone thinking of going to a professional: lol

They are only of value as a placebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Not sure where you are based, however I've seen this "therapy" advertised by the Peacock Salon in Crunch Fitness in Westmanstown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I had something similar recently. I couldn't hear out of my right ear. It had nothing to do with wax.

Pharmacist gave me a nasal spray that didn't do much.
    Went to my doctor and she gave me a steroid nasal spray that helped a little bit.

Those sinus washes might be an idea.

For me anways, it had to run it's course. I was two weeks without proper hearing and it wore me down no end. I appreciate my hearing all the more now.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

darling.x wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of ear candles. I've a dullness in my ears due to a sinus infection, and seen on telly that these can help. Does anybody know anything about these. What are they called.

My housemate tried this and had to go to hospital!! Keep well away! It should be taken off the market!

Advertisement