Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structured wiring panels/cabinets

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get these. I have seen them on a numbers of jobs recently and I was very impressed with them.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What do you mean by 'structured wiring cabinet'?

Are you looking to build a panel yourself or buy a pre-wired custom built one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Something like this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That is neat - I presume they are designed to fit in a standard gap between wall studs (in the USA).

I haven't seen anything similar for sale here though.

It strictly doesn't have to be recessed. A surface mounted version would also do the job, similar to the ones you would see "Smart H0mes" use

What do you want to put in it?

What features are you looking for - conduit knockouts / terminal rails etc?

There are plenty of enclosure suppliers (even apart from the usual ones the wholesalers stock).

• Advertisement

I would be putting in tv splitters, passive and powered, rf-modularors for cctv, a small hub, phone and psu's.
    I'm not too worried about knockouts as they can be drilled out and din rails etc can be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there is a place RWL, I've seen a nice one with a TV hub built in too.
    Kelliehers data department will also get their hands on something for you if you get the right person there, you can PM me if you need a number

Same for Wood Communications.

If needs be I'll give you mobile numbers for all of the above.

Thanks. I might give woods a try as I've dealt with them before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I bought them in both Eurosales and Kelleihers. Designed for structured cableing as you said, but great for lots of other things. Metal frame with removable top, sides, and bottom. You can cut out whatever hole size you need easilt. The front is smoked glass door. They are surface mounted and available in lots of sizes. Sizes are determined by the number of rows. Not too pricey either.

I think they look geat too, really professional.

Thanks. I'll give those guys a ring. Any idea what brand they are or do they have an online catalogue.
    I also found this crowd.
    I noticed some nice hager panels online aswell. Not too sure how well suited they would be

• Advertisement

I was going to suggest using Himel or similar if you just need a bog standard box - Hellermann Ireland supplied them, not sure if they're still arounf though.

The Hagar stuff is not bad as well. I used to deal with Reg Rarrell Eng a fair bit, good crowd.

Rittal is a premium make with no end of accessories for this type of work - it's pricey though PCAS is / was the supplier.

http://www.demesne.ie/ is another good source.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well do you want one that takes a patch panel and hub for cat 6 cabling, the TV distribution module can be handy too. However I have found that a lot of the active components offered by these guys is not great, I'd end up not using it and it simply being a patch panel, with the modem and switch and distribution units hanging off it, but thats me, my home distribution units/area looks like a bomb site.
    all joking aside as you know there will be a lot of stuff to connect to this, so I'd plan for that (if you have not already)

I would probably just go for a normal cabinet and customize it to my needs. I don't really want to be tied to one brand just in case the individual components are hard to get or they just don't perform.
    I'll give these guys a ring tomorrow and see what they have to offer

Advertisement