Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website maintanance where do i start?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi, i have being asked to look after a website for a local club. i dont know where to start. i know html so prob wouldnt hav a problem maintaining it. i dont understand the host or domain thing what are these. the site has a url, do i have to renew this or do i have this forever. in order to get files uploaded to the website can i just down load any ftp programme does this cost anything... i may have a few more questions..i hope someone can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK.

The 101:

The "host" is the company who has a server where the website files live. Hosting companies usually have a load of big servers permanently connected to the internet (obviously). Each server usually hosts hundreds of websites, and each website owner "rents" their spot on the server on a yearly basis.

The domain is an additional service usually provided by the host, but not always. You can have different providers for hosting and domain.

Again, you "rent" the right to use the domain. These is normally done on a yearly basis, but most hosts will allow you to prepay it for up to ten years. When it's time to renew the domain, the provider will email the billing contact for the domain to let them know that it's due for renewal.

In order to upload files to the website, you will need to know the server where the files reside, and also a username and password to give you access. There are hundreds of free FTP programs. Windows comes with one, but other ones such as a filezilla are better.

Your first port of call is the person who has asked you to look after the site. They may know who provides hosting and who provides the domain. They may even look after paying for both. If they don't have these details, then you'll need to contact the person who used to look after the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solarpitch

If you dont have an application Called Dreamweaver which is used to edit files and upload to a server you can always get FileZilla which is a very easy to use free FTP application.

http://filezilla-project.org/

You will need the hosting username and password for the account. The host for the ftp would probably be ftp.yourdomain.com but this is not always the case depending on the provider.

Once you pop these 3 details into FileZilla you have FTP access to the server where you can get files from the server and copy them to your local drive for editing, then once finished just upload them back to the server.

You could always get a free text editor too if you wanted.. but its not necessary.

Advertisement