Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tomorrow

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭

Lads & Lassies,

I have my test tomorrow in Closhaugh Coolock. Any good last minutes tips and advice.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

- Check your indicators and brake lights are working before you head over.

- Check that the discs displayed in your windscreen are in date and correspond to your car. (My insurance disc had the wrong reg number and the tester very nearly cancelled the whole test, woulda been a very stupid thing to not pass for)

- Get there early, they won't take you out if you're late.

- If it's raining, open your two back windows a fraction (not enough to let any water in), that way your windows won't start to fog up during the test.

I'm in a huge rush out the door right now but if I think of any more I'll come back!! Good Luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

Study carefully the Rules of the Road booklet!!!

practise driving as much as possible on all types of road and in all types of traffic situations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cheers for that. Keep them coming. Need all the assistance/advice I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Watch out for the stop sign just outside the industrial estate onto Oscar Traynor Road, there is a line but it's impossible to see (was to me anyway). So keep an eye on that one.

Know your theory and have an understanding of what's expected of you.

All the best with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

My test is also tomorrow , I'm trying to stay positive , but the car is in the shop atm getting a Seal replaced in the gear box :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Try to get a Good nights Sleep! Also make sure you know All them signs! I just passed mine on Saturday gone! I was asked how to check the brake light if I was on my own? Answer: Drive to a shop window or such and look at the reflection! I thought that was a bit of an unusual question to ask! Also same about the handbreak how to check on ur own? Answer: On a hill, then question about the tyres.. Answer: look for cracks and bulges, Check your tyre pressure. When ur driving always check ur mirrors every few seconds! Taking particular attention at juntions etc..Look both ways! Always indicate before pulling out. Keep good road position. If you can take 2 pre-tests if you can today or tommorow! Im on my way out now so I'll get back on to you later. Best of luck to you! :)

xTanyax wrote: »
    Try to get a Good nights Sleep! Also make sure you know All them signs! I just passed mine on Saturday gone! I was asked how to check the brake light if I was on my own? Answer: Drive to a shop window or such and look at the reflection! I thought that was a bit of an unusual question to ask! Also same about the handbreak how to check on ur own? Answer: On a hill, then question about the tyres.. Answer: look for cracks and bulges, Check your tyre pressure. When ur driving always check ur mirrors every few seconds! Taking particular attention at juntions etc..Look both ways! Always indicate before pulling out. Keep good road position. If you can take 2 pre-tests if you can today or tommorow! Im on my way out now so I'll get back on to you later. Best of luck to you! :)

oh wow ha awesome post lots of useful information , that checking the brake lights is a bit of a odd one alright , dont think I've seen it in the hand book haha.
    Ive a pre-test tomorrow at 9am test is at 11:50 so I'l be practicing and hitting the junctions in between

Also

1000th post yay \0/

I don't think that question about how to check your breaklights on your own is even in the handbook! I was totally surprised by it & I didn't answer it.. I really felt like saying "Making sure the car was in nuteral and the handbreak was up You would get a brick and put it on the brake, then step outside and check it!" but I knew that wasn't right lol and I didn't want the Testor to think I was been smart! Just take your time, not too slow but slow enough to watch your road position etc... I always look at it like you want to make your Testor feel safe, relaxed and just to take him/her on a smooth ride. Also keep in 2nd taking corners and over ramps. Don't excelerate while coming towards traffic lights Or going around corners, also when taking corners let him see you looking at the inside mirror for cyclists or motorbikes. Also when ur doing your reverse around the corner stop if another vehical coming. When you arrive there tommorow reverse into your spot, making sure you give your testor enough room to walk around the back of your car. Remember the way you park going in is important, it's a nice first impression to make, then when ur finished your test stop firdt then drive into your spot keeping the car nice & straight ( If u have to straighten up do so because that could be the point that would fail you!) If you make a mistake, carry on and still drive well, because it might not be as bad as you think! I really hope you both pass tommorow! Remember to bring ur licence and have your car reg wrote down because they need that.
    Best of luck to you both!:)
    Tanya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Turn the left mirror down a tad, and best of luck :D

xTanyax wrote: »
    I don't think that question about how to check your breaklights on your own is even in the handbook! I was totally surprised by it & I didn't answer it.. I really felt like saying "Making sure the car was in nuteral and the handbreak was up You would get a brick and put it on the brake, then step outside and check it!" but I knew that wasn't right lol and I didn't want the Testor to think I was been smart! Just take your time, not too slow but slow enough to watch your road position etc... I always look at it like you want to make your Testor feel safe, relaxed and just to take him/her on a smooth ride. Also keep in 2nd taking corners and over ramps. Don't excelerate while coming towards traffic lights Or going around corners, also when taking corners let him see you looking at the inside mirror for cyclists or motorbikes. Also when ur doing your reverse around the corner stop if another vehical coming. When you arrive there tommorow reverse into your spot, making sure you give your testor enough room to walk around the back of your car. Remember the way you park going in is important, it's a nice first impression to make, then when ur finished your test stop firdt then drive into your spot keeping the car nice & straight ( If u have to straighten up do so because that could be the point that would fail you!) If you make a mistake, carry on and still drive well, because it might not be as bad as you think! I really hope you both pass tommorow! Remember to bring ur licence and have your car reg wrote down because they need that.
    Best of luck to you both!:)
    Tanya...

ha I think I'm gonna print this out its really useful , Especially about the parking , Thanks a million for everyones help its settled the nerves a Bit , If i pass i pass , If i dont so be it i drove as well as I could , theres been no lack of practice anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Try learn your reg, it looks better than pulling out a piece of paper with it written down.

Remember all the important bits under the hood (I was asked about coolant, engine oil and brake fluid).

My instructer had me say "I'm better than most, and as good as the rest" to myself, I was suprised at how positive that made me feel, (probably because I laughed at myself for saying it, and you can't feel negative when you are laughing :))

Good Luck with test, don't forget to post if you pass

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

most people get screwed over caus they dont give enough observation to things, look everywhere. good luck

Also if it's raining, lower the windows a fraction, as it prevents the windows from steaming up during the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

RAFC wrote: »
    Try learn your reg, it looks better than pulling out a piece of paper with it written down.
    I'd say just write your reg on the test notification letter. When you're asked for the letter just say 'I've written my reg there on the top for you..' so they can copy it down for their forms. That way it looks like you've written it down for them, not just because you can't remember it! :p
    Good luck tomorrow, by the looks of the weather tonight make sure you can work your wipers! :)

I don't think you'd survive in Ireland not knowing how to work your wipers haha

whoot passed :cool:

papu wrote: »
    whoot passed :cool:
    Congrats - how'd it go? get marked on much?

macroman wrote: »
    Congrats - how'd it go? get marked on much?

Went grand , Was a little shaky to begin with and totally messup up on a few signs , got 7 Grade 2's and 4 Grade 1's
    1 was rules and checks
    turning right position
    turning right observation
    Clutch
    steering
    and 2 for road markings

Talking to my instructor said i got the toughest guy and to pass I must have driven well , Turn about and reverse went very well , im just so chuffed now .

Yeah once you warm up you get into the flow of it all! I've my first test now on 11th November in Baldoyle, been studying the area like mad and practising on every hill and reversing around all the corners on the known routes.

Fail to prepare.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Ugh- makes me feel quesy thinking about it. Hoping to learn how to reverse around a corner on Sunday! Do people find this takes long to pick up?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thumpette wrote: »
    Ugh- makes me feel quesy thinking about it. Hoping to learn how to reverse around a corner on Sunday! Do people find this takes long to pick up?:rolleyes:
    Not at all, pull in just after corner, do all observation (each shoulder, mirrors and rear view), any traffic wait to pass and begin reversing. Keep looking over left shoulder and keep in mirrors, when half way round, stop and check for anything coming on your right, if not proceed but make sure you don't go wide, keep it around 3/4 car door width all the way around, then when finished cornering continue to back away and pull it closer to kerb and keep going until told to stop. Remember, handbrake then neutral/1st gear. And remember when told to pull off MSBM!

Quote:
    whoot passed cool.gif

Well done!! Congratulations!! It's a Great feeling innit!? I bet your glad it's over and done with now! I was dying to know how it went:D... Happy motoring now! Are you going to celebrate tonight? Don't forget to ring up your insurance company and let them know, I did this morning & their sending me out 44euro's, not much but it's better than nothing I suppose!

Tanya...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks Macroman- all sounds simple enough when you say it like that! :) Its my lack of spatial awareness that scares me. Think Im having a 2 hour lesson with the instructor on Sunday anyway and test isnt till the end of November- so hopefully enough time to practice!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Congrats papu, well done, and safe motoring :cool:

Advertisement