Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Azure ctp now available

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what to make of the Microsoft Cloud computing that is being developed. What are others thoughts on it? Think it will really take off?
    Would it help share data between applications and websites etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It'll be very interesting to see how it pans out and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it. I can see a huge advantage in having certain applications hosted, like Exchange or SharePoint, especially for small to mid-sized business. But I think it'll be a much harder sell for desktop client apps like office, especially for large companies/enterprise. There will be a lot of scepticism around availability, performance and especially security. Large banks and financial institutions won't be very eager to be putting their data up in someone else's data centre. But if it's priced competitively enough it could be very attractive as you are essentially outsourcing a lot of your server support costs as well as the physical machines themselves.

From the development side, it could work out very well. It could really simplify the process of developing, deploying and supporting custom applications.

Advertisement