Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's snowing!

Options
  • 28-10-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

Just started snowing here in Omagh, Co Tyrone! :D Also, it's sticking about on the ground - not melting as soon as it hits it. :cool:

Current temperature: 0.9ºC 0.7ºC (keeps falling :pac:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

so jealous....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well done Sulmac - First confirmed snow report of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

arctictree wrote: »
    Well done Sulmac - First confirmed snow report of the year!!

Wasn't it snowing there back in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Heavy snow being reported in Belfast and across NI, could be some flakes in Dublin around midday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Ya know he means first report this winter...

dont be soooo stupid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Just after a big snow shower here in Killybegs,Co Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Showers look to have banded together and are moving down the country now.

Those showers are likely to hit the Dublin area alright but the southern arm of them is weak enough so they'll be under pressure in Wicklow.
    Definitely some snow above 800ft (Possibly starting as sleety rain at that elevation and wet snow above 1500ft with a combination before full wet snow on elevations inbetween) there though if the precipitation arrives intact I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ya know he means first report this winter...

dont be soooo stupid !

Its Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The band of showers look like weakening out as they travel South.
    By the time they hit Cork I'd say we'll be lucky to get snizzle:D
    Keep up the reports

• Advertisement

White out conditions on some of the northern most scottish traffic cams

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Well it stopped snowing here at around half ten and got sunny. Most of the snow melted. :( However it's starting to cloud up and looks like it might start again...

Temperature at 2ºC now.

The band of showers look like weakening out as they travel South.
    By the time they hit Cork I'd say we'll be lucky to get snizzle:D
    Keep up the reports
    The band in question thats been affecting Ulster and North Leinster is going nowhere near Cork.
    It's sliding into the Irish sea with it's southern most point at Bray or Greystones I think.

What you will see are atlantic showers that are much smaller (though they may grow) and they are very unlikely in my opinion to be delivering sleety snow to anywhere that isn't well inland or above 600ft.

Have a look at this for the track

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sleety rain here so far. The clouds look snowy to the north now. So, I think there will be a shower of wet snow before the shower activity dies out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

As expected the trough has fragmented overland as they usually do. To my west and east it's dark while it's partly sunny here. The Blessington area might get something wintry as it is still showing signs of something heavier over Kildare and moving SE. Wicklow mtns should sponge the rest of the moisture out of the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Barely a drop here, even so the temp pummeted by a degree, which isnt bad for a bit of drizzle, a proper shower could easily drop the temp towards zero I reckon..until the winds go NE I fear a bit of drizzle is all thats likely here though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Aaargh..wheres my feckin snow

How about this for friday midnight...more potential?

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn661.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn663.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snowbie wrote: »
    As expected the trough has fragmented overland as they usually do. To my west and east it's dark while it's partly sunny here. The Blessington area might get something wintry as it is still showing signs of something heavier over Kildare and moving SE. Wicklow mtns should sponge the rest of the moisture out of the trough.
    It seems the windward side of the mtns has aided the trough with orographic lift. The trough or whats left of it has intensified on NW and west side of the Wicklow mtns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

forkassed wrote: »
    Aaargh..wheres my feckin snow

How about this for friday midnight...more potential?

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn661.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn663.png

Thats Thursday midnight, and yes, definitely potential there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It seems the windward side of the mtns has aided the trough with orographic lift. The trough or whats left of it has intensified on NW and west side of the Wicklow mtns.

Sucking the life out of in the process, barely anything here on the eastern side of them.
    Sky is brown to the west - a sure sign of wintry precipitation.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Theres a shower approaching here actually now with a white spray from the clouds about half way down and a rainbow.I expect a bit of rain/hail shortly.

Did I say rain?

No rain in this shower as it's a
    Heavy hailstorm

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

very dark clouds in sandyford, sleety sideways rain at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,497 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

9 degrees here in Berlin and sunny. Am a little jealous.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

copacetic wrote: »
    very dark clouds in sandyford, sleety sideways rain at the moment
    *pedantic moment*

That is probably a soft hail rain mix not sleet [unless you can see wispy flakes in it].
    Same here.

Temp has took a tumble to 5.4c

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

*pedantic moment*

That is probably a soft hail rain mix not sleet [unless you can see wispy flakes in it].
    Same here.

Temp has took a tumble to 5.4c

sleet 'y', it was the y that I threw in there than covers a multitude of sins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Vile, gooey, sleet turning to rain in Cavan. Maximum misery effect. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Seemed to be a dusting of snow on Croagh Patrick about an hour ago. It's certainly chilly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Yoda wrote: »
    Seemed to be a dusting of snow on Croagh Patrick about an hour ago. It's certainly chilly enough!

Well, Knock report for 1200 was Recent Snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Started as hail here then changed to wet snow/sleet and finished up as cold rain, there was a noticable drop in temp during and after it.

Advertisement