Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Restaurant for a Date in Athlone?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Herself and myself are currently seperated by the vast expanse that is the midlands! Trust me to find a girl on the opposite side of the country to myself.

Anyway we've decided on Athlone as this weeks half way meeting point but neither of us knows much about the place. Could any of you recommend a nice restaurant to go to, and maybe a nice quiet pub for a drink after?

Thanks for any help and if the recommendations are good I promise to never mention people being from the wrong side of the shannon again ;).

P.S.: Where's the cinema in Athlone I've a feeling I may have to take second place until Mr. James Bond satisfies her needs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

dont' know much about restaurants in athlone, but the cinema in athlone is down beside golden island shopping centre....if thats any help.

I heard that glasson (a few miles outside athlone) has nice restaurants...? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

Try Hatters in Strand st. for a decent meal and an intimate setting, you will probably want to book ahead if it's on a weekend. The Top Deck bistro off Church st is also pretty nice. Kin Kao is recommended if you like Thai food.

Depends on when you're going, many pubs get mad busy on weekends, but the bars in the Radisson and the Prince hotel are usually quietish. Also the Shack up dublin road is nice and quiet, especially during winter.. huge roaring fire , big black comfy leather sofas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

In the town itself, Top Deck and Hatters Lane are both very nice (imho). They're both on the good side of town, just before the bridge :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tetra7

The Olive Grove is my favourite at the moment for food and a great view overlooking the river and castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

see my replies on the al mezze thread if you want to try lebanese food.

+1 on the shack, nice guinness in there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Thanks very much for the replies guys. Really like the sound of the Shack place. A big fire is always nice and rosemantic ;). I'll have a look at all the restaurants and pubs recommended. It will be the weekend although it could be Sunday evening which I've found is very quiet in most pubs. If it's Saturday obviously we'll have to be a bit more selective if we're looking for a quiet place.

Thanks again and please keep the recommendations coming. Hopefully all going well there'll be a few visits to Athlone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

The restaurant at the Hodson Bay Hotel got a very good write-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There is a great italian restaurant called "IL Colosseo" on Northgate Street. Absolutely amazing food and even better service. I recommend the shack afterwards then.

axer wrote: »
    There is a great italian restaurant called "IL Colosseo" on Northgate Street. Absolutely amazing food and even better service. I recommend the shack afterwards then.

Personally cant recommend that place ... ate there 3 times ... sick 3 times. And no booze was taken so cant shift the blame to that.

Also, bear in mind that while The Shack is a great pub ... its a bit out of town so if your planning on heading to a club after the pub it'd be handier to stay in town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Personally cant recommend that place ... ate there 3 times ... sick 3 times. And no booze was taken so cant shift the blame to that.
    I hope to reported that to the food safety authority. I was only there once with a group of others who thought the food was great and the service excellent - no one was sick afterwards.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    I hope to reported that to the food safety authority. I was only there once with a group of others who thought the food was great and the service excellent - no one was sick afterwards.

Nope, in true Irish fashion I just biotched and moaned about it to people who can do nothing about it :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Bon Bouche....

(only messing - is it still even open?:eek:)

I'd recomend Il Mezza, The Olive Grove, Wineport (in Glasson), The Glasson Village Restaurant.

The Glasson Village is recommended by Georgina Campbell:
    http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/glasson_village_restaurant.4071.html

Right so I'm procrastinating as usual. I've narrowed it down to The Olive Grove, Hatters Lane or Top Deck. (Yes where I eat is THAT important to me ;) ) They all seem to be in the same area of town. Should I just park in Golden Island and walk in?

Also I'd like to be able to walk to a pub from the restaraunt so I think that rules out the shack from what you're saying? Any other suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help ye're a great bunch I might get ye to organise all my nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

If you want to stay around the same area, Gerties won't be too busy on a Sunday night.... nice pub that is actually owned by the same person that owns Hatters

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Drift wrote: »
    Should I just park in Golden Island and walk in?

There's a small car park close to those restaurants down by the river, take a left just after the Prince of Wales hotel. Otherwise Golden Island is handy as well, there's a fun fair in town beside Golden Island, should still be there this weekend.

If you like Inian Food, there's the Saagar restaurant close to all those retaurants and the car park, but Mother India just across the river is lovely. Best Indian I've had.

Right so I'm procrastinating as usual. I've narrowed it down to The Olive Grove, Hatters Lane or Top Deck. (Yes where I eat is THAT important to me ;) ) They all seem to be in the same area of town. Should I just park in Golden Island and walk in?

Also I'd like to be able to walk to a pub from the restaraunt so I think that rules out the shack from what you're saying? Any other suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help ye're a great bunch I might get ye to organise all my nights out.

Yea these restaurants are almost next to each other smack in the centre of town. the Shack is umm about 15 minutes walk from the restaurant so may not be ideal. I'd try the prince bar, it's next to the restaurants, and I usually manage to get a table there even late saturday evenings. In fact that's where i usually go myself if i'm taking someone out on a date :p

Anyhow, loads of pubs around that general area, ye should be able to find one ye both enjoy.

I dont think parking should be a problem during evenings, usually there are a few spots available along northgate rd or in the strand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Le Chateau is prob the best restaurant in Athlone, its on the west side near the castle. Close to that is both Seans and the Castle. The food in Le Chateau is really good and Seans serves the best pint in Athlone. Both Hatters Land and Gurties are good spots and located beside each other. The Palace is kinder-garden and the Prince is teen paradise.
    If you want to impress her take her to Le Chateau and then Seans, if you want a cheaper night but still romantic then Hatters Land followed by Gurties. If you go to the west side dont venture into the Gazza strip (Connaught St.).

Offy wrote: »
    Le Chateau is prob the best restaurant in Athlone, its on the west side near the castle. Close to that is both Seans and the Castle. The food in Le Chateau is really good and Seans serves the best pint in Athlone. Both Hatters Land and Gurties are good spots and located beside each other. The Palace is kinder-garden and the Prince is teen paradise.
    If you want to impress her take her to Le Chateau and then Seans, if you want a cheaper night but still romantic then Hatters Land followed by Gurties. If you go to the west side dont venture into the Gazza strip (Connaught St.).

le chateau has been put into administration I think, would imagine that the chefs there are feelin a bit demotivated. connaught str = gaza strip haha.. yea used to be pretty rough, most of the really mingin places are gone now though

I booked the Olive Grove so I'll let ye know what I think next week. The girl who answered the phone there had the same name as herself! A good omen I hope :pac:

More than likely we'll be using Athlone again so I'll probably get chances to try out the other places too. So as we leave the Olive Grove what's the best direction to walk to pass some pubs?

Thanks again for all the help.

We went to the Olive Grove in the end. The food was excellent - I'd definitely recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't been there. There's also a fabulous view out over the river. It was Sunday evening too so the place was nice and quiet for the most part.

We went to the Prince bar then afterwards and it was pretty quiet so we managed to get a nice booth to ourselves. Even put on a little bit of a show for the locals ;):o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Even put on a little bit of a show for the locals ;):o.

:eek: let me know the next time you're out, but save that kinda thing for the hodson bay...i hear thats the local dogging spot! hahahah :D

:eek: let me know the next time you're out, but save that kinda thing for the hodson bay...i hear thats the local dogging spot! hahahah :D

Ok, so it appears we didn't put on enough of a show! I suppose you could say we were the 12A version of the 18s film at the hodson bay :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Thyme in Athlone is gorgeous, myself and my boyfriend ended up in Athlone recently and went there, we really liked it, perfect for a date.Im not sure the name of the street but it was opposite another restaurant and was central.

missyb wrote: »
    Thyme in Athlone is gorgeous, myself and my boyfriend ended up in Athlone recently and went there, we really liked it, perfect for a date.Im not sure the name of the street but it was opposite another restaurant and was central.

Its on Custume Place ... in the old Olive Grove building. I've eaten there a few times and never been disappointed.

Advertisement