Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony Adams to be announced as new Portsmouth manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

deise59 wrote: »

Manager proper? Or for a trial period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think the brief for new manager was probably get the cheapest and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Wouldn't be too sure what to make of that. Adams strikes me as the type of bloke with a personality like Souness, very capable of allowing his ego to get in the way of working relationships.

On a similar note, can any Gooners confirm if Adams has had a falling out with Arsenal? I heard things had gone sour between the two, as noted by him not turning up for the final Highbury game, and Bergkamp's testimonial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

monkey9 wrote: »
    Manager proper? Or for a trial period?

Looks pretty permanent to me.

I can't imagine Portsmouth fans being too pleased with all this. They've gone from the one of the most experiences managers in the PL to the most inexperienced in the space of 2 days.

Has 'Arry said anything about taking a few Pompey boys in Jan? That's when the shíté will hit the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Has disaster written all over it, they should have went for Joe Kinnear.

Also when is David O'Leary going to going to get another job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Boggles wrote: »
    Has 'Arry said anything about taking a few Pompey boys in Jan? That's when the shíté will hit the fan.

Yea apparently he hinted that Defoe could be a target and Crouch wouldn't be ruled out.

The one that stands out for me is Diarra. He is the type of player they need imo.
    Glen Johnson was one of Harry's kids at WH so maybe he'll head back to London as well.

I was wondering what would happen with Adams. He couldn't have gone to Spurs after his career at Arsenal. Don't think he's a good appointment for Pompey. They should have gone for experience until the end of the season, maybe Allardyce or Curbs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think Adams has the personality to be a manager.
    Some people should accept their life as a coach or assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Adams will be very lucky to emerge from this job with his reputation intact. I'm not sure it's a good decision by either party tbh, but it looks like Pompey may not have had much choice given their financial situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This most definitely looks like an appointment on the cheap.

I wonder if you can get odds on Portsmouth being relegated next season?

• Advertisement

Apart from Liverpool next up, the fixtures are kind enough to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Don't see why Adam's is apparently doomed to fail. He's spent a couple of years under Harry and there are few better people to learn off, has plenty of experience captaining a succesfull Premiership team and has a good enough team to stave off relegation.

If Southgate made it why not Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

On a similar note, can any Gooners confirm if Adams has had a falling out with Arsenal? I heard things had gone sour between the two, as noted by him not turning up for the final Highbury game, and Bergkamp's testimonial.

He was at the final Highbury game. I have the DVD, you can see him dancing around at the end.

Best of luck to him. My favourite player of all time. Hope he's a success.

Galvasean wrote: »
    He was at the final Highbury game. I have the DVD, you can see him dancing around at the end.

Best of luck to him. My favourite player of all time. Hope he's a success.

Fair enough. Just that I had read otherwise on various sites.

http://www.afc4life.co.uk/2006/07/25/does-tony-adams-have-a-problem-with-arsenal/

Fair enough. Just that I had read otherwise on various sites.

http://www.afc4life.co.uk/2006/07/25/does-tony-adams-have-a-problem-with-arsenal/

Strange. Perhaps I was delirious. I'll have to have another look at the DVD and get back to you.
    I've never heard him say a bad word about either the club or anyone associated with it. I was also under the impression that the recent surge of Arsenal players going to Pompey (Lauren, Campbell, Kanu, Diarra, and particularly Traore on loan this season) had something to do with Adams' good relationship and links with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Also when is David O'Leary going to going to get another job?

Been wondering this aswell...
    I thought Newcastle would have tried to snap him up. He's prob smart enough to stay away though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Wouldn't be too sure what to make of that. Adams strikes me as the type of bloke with a personality like Souness, very capable of allowing his ego to get in the way of working relationships.

Well in his press conference he said he rang Wenger and Wenger said "Welcome to hell" and Adams said " Are you afraid because Im coming for you!" :D

Wish him the best of luck, seem a decent guy. His autobiography is a great read too if anyones looking for a good book.

He's a cheap appointment but a potentially good one.
    Wish him the best of luck.

I'm not really sure how this will go. I don't think i'd been feeling very positive if i were a Pompey fan. He was a flop at Wycombe, but maybe he's learned a bit from that, and has someone has said, would have learned a lot under Harry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It is a bit of continuity which may be needed at the moment. a new manager always unsettles players so hopefully this may help keep Spurs at bay.

As for Diarra, I expect to loose him in January, but to a bigger club than Spurs. He has been great for us.

Maybe the £5m compensation we got fpr Arry will mean we don;t have to sell, which will mean we can keep our crown jewels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he'll be a flop myself. I don't see him lasting the rest of the season. Will be interesting to see what happens.

ibh wrote: »
    Yea apparently he hinted that Defoe could be a target and Crouch wouldn't be ruled out.

Defoe is free to sign for spurs again anytime after february 1st, as you can't re-sign for a club within 12 months I believe and Crouch has played for two teams so far this season, so he can't go either.....I think.

Defoe is free to sign for spurs again anytime after february 1st, as you can't re-sign for a club within 12 months I believe and Crouch has played for two teams so far this season, so he can't go either.....I think.

That would mean that neither could move until next summer. That's probably important for Pompey. It give Adams enough time to show them what he is about, and where he is looking to take the team. If come that summer, Pompey have struggled in the league, then I think the likes of Defoe would be looking for move, irrespective of Spurs.

A bit OT, but how fickle are the fans that booed Harry at that prizegiving thing today?! At 5 years at the club he's brought them from bottom of the Championship to mid-table security in the Premiership, somehow managed to save them from relegation when he returned, won them an FA Cup for the first time in over 60 years, secured their highest league position for decades and along with that, European football.

Then the man decides to try out a new challenge and he gets feckin' slaughtered?!?:confused:

A bit OT, but how fickle are the fans that booed Harry at that prizegiving thing today?! At 5 years at the club he's brought them from bottom of the Championship to mid-table security in the Premiership, somehow managed to save them from relegation when he returned, won them an FA Cup for the first time in over 60 years, secured their highest league position for decades and along with that, European football.

Then the man decides to try out a new challenge and he gets feckin' slaughtered?!?:confused:

if you look up the term "Fickle" in the dictionary, it will mention football fans.

I mean, the man that says he will end his career at Pompey and is "Pompey til I die" leaves and the fans get pissed off at him.

Strange.

Yeah, but I'd rather have a dishonest manager that wins us trophies than an honest manager who achieves fcuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not sure how they count the year tbh, or when the January window closes (31st January is a Saturday if that matters)

Surely Defoe could sign on the 31st January as long as it's after the time he signed for Pompey on the same date in 2008, i.e if he signed for Pompey at 7pm on 31/01/08 then any time after 7pm on 31/01/09 would mean the year is up?

That's ignoring the fact that 2008 was a leap year...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Frisbee wrote: »
    Been wondering this aswell...
    I thought Newcastle would have tried to snap him up. He's prob smart enough to stay away though...

More like Newcastle are smart enough to stay away from him. (DOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Not sure how they count the year tbh, or when the January window closes (31st January is a Saturday if that matters)

Surely Defoe could sign on the 31st January as long as it's after the time he signed for Pompey on the same date in 2008, i.e if he signed for Pompey at 7pm on 31/01/08 then any time after 7pm on 31/01/09 would mean the year is up?

Defoe actually didn't sign until the summer, a premier league f*ck up (or Portsmouth ****up, depending on what paper you read) supposedly meant his transfer didn't go through on time so he was taken on loan until they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I hope it goes well but i'd fear for Portsmouth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Galvasean wrote: »

Are you sure?

As far as I know he did not show, was at the match and he was certainly not involved in the activities when all the players from years gone by did the lap around the pitch.

I will certainly be watching out for Portsmouth results now and wish Tony all the best of luck. No reason why he can't make a success of it, has worked under some good managers,the disadvantage he has say compared to Roy Keane is that he does not have the massive funds Kenae had. Very tough first match for him though.

we signed him at 11:59 on transfer deadline day, thankfully:)

Yeah, but I'd rather have a dishonest manager that wins us trophies than an honest manager who achieves fcuk all.

Yeah, I mean its not like passion, feelings and emotions are involved. After all, if I'm not happy supporting pompey I can go and follow someone else can't I.:rolleyes:

we signed him at 11:59 on transfer deadline day, thankfully:)

31st January is a Saturday, my reading of the rules are that the window closes on the first working day after that, i.e. Monday the 2nd February...;)

• Advertisement

31st January is a Saturday, my reading of the rules are that the window closes on the first working day after that, i.e. Monday the 2nd February...;)

look, calm down mate, you aint ****ing getting him ok?:D

They might. Although it may come down to whether Portsmouth or Spurs are still in Europe at the time.

Ok maybe that last comment of mine was a bit generalised, but I still can't understand where those fans are coming from.

In June 2006, Thierry Henry signed a new 5 year contract with Arsenal and basically told them he was with them for life. 12 months later he was out the door, yet he's still one of the most loved players in the history of the club.

Redknapp said all that "Portsmouth for life" stuff after he turned down Newcastle last January yeah? That's nearly the same time span as Henry's change of heart.

Both Henry and Redknapp perfectly explained their decision. The need of a new challenge, done all he can etc and they both still proclaimed how much they still love their respective clubs.

What's the difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Actually I think there could be a loophole for defoe as the actual rule as far as I am aware is that you cannot play for 3 different teams in 1 year, however he would only be playing for 2 different teams as he would be returning to his old original club.
    I'm pretty sure the media and wouldn't be reporting this so freely if it can't happen.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Actually I think there could be a loophole for defoe as the actual rule as far as I am aware is that you cannot play for 3 different teams in 1 year, however he would only be playing for 2 different teams as he would be returning to his old original club.
    I'm pretty sure the media and wouldn't be reporting this so freely if it can't happen.

I had thought myself that the wording of it was no more than 1 transfer every 12 months. I'll go see if I can dig out the exact phrasing of the rule.

• Advertisement

Ok maybe that last comment of mine was a bit generalised, but I still can't understand where those fans are coming from.

In June 2006, Thierry Henry signed a new 5 year contract with Arsenal and basically told them he was with them for life. 12 months later he was out the door, yet he's still one of the most loved players in the history of the club.

Redknapp said all that "Portsmouth for life" stuff after he turned down Newcastle last January yeah? That's nearly the same time span as Henry's change of heart.

Both Henry and Redknapp perfectly explained their decision. The need of a new challenge, done all he can etc and they both still proclaimed how much they still love their respective clubs.

What's the difference?

We were truly blessed to have had Henry for as long as we had him at the end of the day he owed us nothing imo, we had him at his peak. Henry I believe left England for peronal reasons and as such it was much easier to take, that he moved abroad.

I can understang why Portsmouth fans might be upset in that he has gone to one of their rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Didn't Henry have a horrific divorce or something?

As for Redknapp, well it's a bit of a kick in the teeth if you support Pompey, and indicative that even he thinks they've no chance of progressing much further.

I had thought myself that the wording of it was no more than 1 transfer every 12 months. I'll go see if I can dig out the exact phrasing of the rule.

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/premier-league-will-block-spurs-return-d-5515152.html
    Redknapp has already stated an interest in Defoe since leaving Fratton Park for Tottenham, but any move by Spurs would fall foul of Premier League rule L19, which prevents a player rejoining a club within a year.

A Premier League spokesman said: “It is written in section L19 of the Premier League rules that a club which transfers or cancels the registration of a player may not apply to register that player within a year.

I still can't understand where those fans are coming from.

Then no one can explain it to you I'm afraid.

Crouch hasn't played for two teams this season. Only Pompey!

I did preface this post on the Spurs forum by stating I'm no expert, but...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/obscure-rule-hits-defoe-spurs-trip-798908.html
    By Sam Wallace
    Friday, 21 March 2008

Jermain Defoe has been told by the Premier League that he is not eligible to play for Portsmouth against his former club Tottenham at White Hart Lane tomorrow. The England striker has fallen victim to an obscure new rule that was agreed upon by all Premier League clubs at their AGM last summer. It dictates that any player who converts a loan move into a permanent transfer must abide by the rules of the original loan for the rest of the season.

Defoe's move from Spurs to Portsmouth on the transfer window deadline at the end of January was originally a loan – done so in order that the two clubs could complete the paperwork in time. Most loans have the proviso that the player cannot play against the club that holds his registration. In the following week after the transfer window closed the loan was duly upgraded to a permanent transfer for around £7.5m and Defoe became a Portsmouth player.

Players and clubs are allowed to convert loans into permanent moves outside the window because Fifa does not recognise loan moves. The world governing body regards them as the same as a normal transfer.

The 25-year-old would have been able to play against Spurs had he moved originally within January on a permanent deal. Instead, Portsmouth later admitted that they had agreed to a loan as a bridging arrangement while they got all the paperwork in place. With six goals in six games for his new club, Defoe is likely to be missed by Portsmouth.

IIRC, Redknapp was quoted saying something similar on the BBC website just before that game in late March.

Furthermore, and bearing in mind I'm no expert in these matters:

In relation to rule L.19:
    A Club which transfers or cancels the registration of a Player may not apply to register that Player within a year except with the prior written consent of the Board.

Rule L.1 states:
    A Player shall not play for a Club in a League Match unless that Club holds his registration with effect from at least one hour before kick-off.

and rule L.20 states:
    A Player shall not apply to be registered by more than one Club (or club) at any one time and the Secretary shall refuse any application made in breach of this Rule.

Which would suggest that Defoe's registration was held by Pompey from the time the loan agreement was completed, which was within the January transfer window. In addition, the PL rulebooks refers to loans as "temporary transfers", which "mean the transfer of a contract registration effected in accordance with Rules M.6 to M.10"

Unless I'm missing something, that means Defoes registration had to have been held by Pompey by at the very latest 1hr before his first appearance for Pompey in the PL (which was a 3pm kick-off on 2nd Febuary, so therefore at the latest 2pm). Funnily enough, since the 31st of January is a Saturday, the transfer window won't shut until the next working day at a time to be determined by the PL board, which means the window won't close until the 2nd of February...;) If the Independent's article is correct, then the loan move would have to have been submitted by the end of last year's January window anyway.

Unless it's a requirement for a players' registration to be transferred back to the selling club before a loan move can be made permanent, then I don't see how Spurs would be prohibited from resigning Defoe on the last day of the next window.

p.s. here's the rule book if you want to have a look.

Advertisement