Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 450D Digital SLR

• 28-10-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a total novice to the world of digital photography but it is something I have always wanted to take up. I have finally taken the plunge and signed up for a couple of courses. Our tutor recommended getting the - Canon 450D Digital SLR.

Any opinions or comments on this recommendation ?

Also any ideas on where to get the best price? Is there much discount online or are you better go to a local store where you might get better after sales.

I am living in Cork co any recommendations for camera shops / clubs in Cork greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

450D is an excellent Camera for you, I owned one and was totally happy with it, it is just above the entry level DSLRs.

2kerso@gmail.com ask this guy for his price list, he is generally the cheapest around, based out of Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

dahayeser wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a total novice to the world of digital photography but it is something I have always wanted to take up. I have finally taken the plunge and signed up for a couple of courses. Our tutor recommended getting the - Canon 450D Digital SLR.

Also any ideas on where to get the best price? Is there much discount online or are you better go to a local store where you might get better after sales.

Yup the canon 450d is a great camera to start off with. It's very capable. But wether you should buy it online for a big discount or get it in a shop for a big price with customer service is your choice.

I'd personally buy it online. Camera gear can have up to 50% off in price compared to shops here. In one case, a new lens I bought online was more than 50% cheaper than in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm a novice and bought this camera last week - so far I've only used the auto settings but am very happy with it. I got mine in New York - falling dollar didn't help but it was still cheaper. There is such a range of pricing in Ireland at the moment - 999 with Harvey Normans, 849 in my local camera shop (edit I checked at Curry's while at lunch - it's 799 for the 450d).

I paid $1000 in NY, including the 55-250mm IS lens and a memory card (€802 today, but last week that was about €760). Pixmania have it for about 620 or so, komplett around the same I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would be make up your own mind & not just go by what the Tutor said. Any DSLR is a reasonable investment & remember that you are not just buying a camera but rather buying into a system.

The two main players are Canon & Nikon. Generally I would go for a DSLR from either one of those. They both produce excellent products. Look at both & see what you will get for your €. Look at the Lens you will be getting with the body you choose & read reviews on that too. You may find that getting a cheaper body & a better kit lens may be an option too. A good lens will out last a lot of body upgrades.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

ablelocks wrote: »
    I think it's cheapest in Currys at €529 - but check that as I'm not 100% sure
    Thats actually the 400d there selling at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you are exactly like me 5 months ago.

bought a 450D and haven't looked back it's such a versatile camera and has a price that doesn't break the bank too (some point and shoots cost close to what a 450D costs).

i bought mine from www.7dayshop.com as they had a good deal at the time. since then i dealt with kerso guy that AnimalRights mentioned and had awful trouble with him (i won auction, paid for item, money unclaimed for 2 weeks and i retracted payment after several emails, and then he called ebay on me).

but he does get good praise around here so i assume that my story with him was a once off.

have a look on flickr to see photos taken with the 450D so you can see the quailty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Thanks for the advice guys. Just rang Currys and it is 800 EUR for the 450D. Is there much of a difference between the 400D and the 450D?

Another camera shop in Cork City, can't think of the name, McSweeneys I think it was, on Oliver Plunkett street are are the same price.

I called on to them over the weekend and they also said there is a 50EUR cash back offer with Canon and a free train course with the camera too. So 750 including the course is the best price I've got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

Link to cashback promotion. I got mine from Dabs.ie It was €620 delivered so with the €65 cashback worked out at €555. Didn't get the training course though as Dabs is a UK based company. They also have good value SD cards - Sandisk EXTREME111 4GB SDHC+ READER less than €24

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YX5&CategorySelectedId=11193&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11193,4294959512,50330
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4NB3&CategorySelectedId=11151&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

They have a sale on 1000D on 7dayshop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Might be worth taking a trip to the UK, even if it is just over and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hi,

I am living in Cork co any recommendations for camera shops / clubs in Cork greatly appreciated too.

Thanks,

Sean

I have a 450D for about 8 months. Moved from a bridge camera (fuji s5000) up to the 450D. It is a very sharp learning curve. Have a look at my Flickr page - the majority of shots are doen with the 450D. I'm still a novice so it will give you a flavour of what you can achieve.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

I made some good progress yesterday, thanks for all of the advice.

I printed out the dabs.ie price that fran426ft posted (nice one, thanks for that!) and brought it in to town with me yesterday eveneng to see how close any of the local shops would come to matching it. I called to 2.

1) Camera World on Oliver Plunkett Street- they said 800EUR was their bottom line as they didn't make much on them.

2) I had better look a few doors down in McSweeney's. They said 750 but agreed to knock 50 off to be competitive with the dabs.ie price. Taking the 65 EUR cannon cash back off that I am at 635 and they are including a case, a 2 gig card and the training course with that.

Not bad I reckon. Nice to have the peace of mind in knowing that you can walk in to the shop if you need after sales service. They won't have them in until friday. Unless anything better turns up in the mean time I'll probably go with McSweeney's.

PS. nice shots there Freddie59, it is good to see some shots from the camera first hand. Hopefully the free course will give me a strat with that learning curve. I'm really starting from scratch!

I made some good progress yesterday, thanks for all of the advice.

I printed out the dabs.ie price that fran426ft posted (nice one, thanks for that!) and brought it in to town with me yesterday eveneng to see how close any of the local shops would come to matching it. I called to 2.

1) Camera World on Oliver Plunkett Street- they said 800EUR was their bottom line as they didn't make much on them.

2) I had better look a few doors down in McSweeney's. They said 750 but agreed to knock 50 off to be competitive with the dabs.ie price. Taking the 65 EUR cannon cash back off that I am at 635 and they are including a case, a 2 gig card and the training course with that.

Not bad I reckon. Nice to have the peace of mind in knowing that you can walk in to the shop if you need after sales service. They won't have them in until friday. Unless anything better turns up in the mean time I'll probably go with McSweeney's.

PS. nice shots there Freddie59, it is good to see some shots from the camera first hand. Hopefully the free course will give me a strat with that learning curve. I'm really starting from scratch!

No probs. That's a great deal. Take it straight away! You might also consider buying this book It was recommended to me on here and it is, to put it mildly, a must-have for a DSLR beginner. Really well presented and explained in simple terms. You'll never shoot in auto again after Page 15.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 conorb56

Why not take a day trip tp London, and pop into Dixons in Heathrow on the way back!

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=imaging.home&section=imaging&group=13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

I bought the 450d last week from ebay with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lense kit. Worked out at €740 including postage.
    I havnt received it yet but the guy sells a lot of gear and receives very good ratings. Im fairly happy with the price anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

A lad in my class spent e350 on the 350d (good deal apparantly - I know feck all about Canons), but when he opened up his parcel, he found it was a 450d. Thought it was briliant until he got a call off the shippers saying they'd posted the wrong cameras to the wrong people and that some pregnant Welsh woman is pretty pissed off! :D

Anyway, enjoy the camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm keeping an eye on this thread for prices of the 450d. I only have a bridge camera at the moment so will shell out the few bob once I see a good bargain come along :)

I'm keeping an eye on this thread for prices of the 450d. I only have a bridge camera at the moment so will shell out the few bob once I see a good bargain come along :)

What type of bridge camera do you have?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As somebody who has also upgraded from a bridge camera to a dSLR, I was initially looking at the 400d/450d. I wasn't actually aware of the 1000d which is in between both, but its been a great camera for my needs and for the money, costing €420 including the cashback discount. I only mention it in case you don't want to hold out for the extra cost of a 450d.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    What type of bridge camera do you have?

I have a Sony DSC-H7. Why? You wanna buy? :pac:
    delly wrote: »
    As somebody who has also upgraded from a bridge camera to a dSLR, I was initially looking at the 400d/450d. I wasn't actually aware of the 1000d which is in between both, but its been a great camera for my needs and for the money, costing €420 including the cashback discount. I only mention it in case you don't want to hold out for the extra cost of a 450d.

That's a fair price. How does the 1000D fair out? Would I be better off with the 450D in every area?

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    I was initially looking at the 400d/450d. I wasn't actually aware of the 1000d which is in between both,
    Not totally, the 400D has some features that are better than the 1000D including more auto focus points.
    The 1000D is more modern alright though.

That's a fair price. How does the 1000D fair out? Would I be better off with the 450D in every area?
    DPreview has the perfect comparison to see what the difference is, which when taking into the cost savings in my case made more sense.
    Not totally, the 400D has some features that are better than the 1000D including more auto focus points.
    The 1000D is more modern alright though.
    Aye, the above comparison shows that, but I was paraphrasing from the site, sure i'd no feck all about it :pac:

1000D v 450D;
    Hmmm I lose 2 autofocus points and 2 MP but save about €200...
    Is it worth it?

Pixmania.

Canon 450D w/lens €615
    Canon 1000D w/lens €450

Or...

A Nikon D60 w/ lens €499

Apologies on the thread hijacking but this could be useful to the OP and/or future lookers. :o

I was initially looking at Pixmania, but as they are technically a French company I'm not sure if the cashback offer applies. I ended up getting it from Jessops for €456 delivered and I also got a free bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smurphette13

First post!

I have been a lurker on boards.ie for some time now, but finally decided today to take the plunge and post a question.

I am interested in buying a Canon EOS450D also. I currently have the Canon EOS300D and it's time to upgrade. Would anyone know if I would be able to trade it against the 450D somewhere in Dublin or whether it would be wiser to sell it privately and buy the 450D on it's own?

delly - you seem to have gotten a very good price through Jessops. Having looked at their site this morning it is selling for £443.99 which equates to approx €548 which is not bad, but still not as good as what you got it for!

I'm going to Belfast tomorrow also, perhaps it might be wiser to buy up there?

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks! :)

delly - you seem to have gotten a very good price through Jessops. Having looked at their site this morning it is selling for £443.99 which equates to approx €548 which is not bad, but still not as good as what you got it for!

I'm going to Belfast tomorrow also, perhaps it might be wiser to buy up there?
    Ah, thats for the 450d whereas I actually got the 1000d. You could however get either in Jessops in the North thereby saving delivery cost.

In relation to your 300d, i'd say your best bet would be to put it up on adverts.ie, going from previous sales i'd say you might get €250 or so with a lense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smurphette13

Great thanks, I'll check out those options. :)

1000D v 450D;
    Hmmm I lose 2 autofocus points and 2 MP but save about €200...
    Is it worth it?

[[/URL]

Apologies on the thread hijacking but this could be useful to the OP and/or future lookers. :o
    450D is a far superior camera.
    It's about the handling and other small things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Mcsweeneys are great for advice and they often thrown in a case or memory card as a bundle offer. I've been meaning to get around to doing the course they offer. I would suggest looking around online as many above me have mentioned.

About 5 months ago I got a 4 Gig card, case, card reader with my Nikon D40 for less then €600 inlc, delivery. That was through E-bay. I spent hours and hours going thru various buyers online, checking there feedback ratings, making sure they were safe to buy from.

I went for the nikon, if im really honest cos of the price. I would have loved to get the Canon 450D as I have heard it is more versitile and compatible with various lenes.

• Advertisement

I have a Sony DSC-H7. Why? You wanna buy? :pac:

:D No thanks. I have the 450D already.;) But I was just going to point out to you that it is a HUGE learning curve coming up from a Bridge camera to a DSLR, and you may not be satisfied with the results you first produce.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Does anyone know if McSweeneys or O Learys Camera Shop sell Olympus? Even though I like the Canon EOS 450D I think I'll end up with the Olympus E510.......

mumof2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if McSweeneys or O Learys Camera Shop sell Olympus? Even though I like the Canon EOS 450D I think I'll end up with the Olympus E510.......

The Olympus are a superb camera with really great lenses. But there's not as big a selection as the Canons - and they're more expensive. Also, Canon provide the RAW editing software free. AFAIK Oympus charge for it. And it's not cheap. But if you go, why don't don't you look at the new E520.

One thing to watch for is that under certain flash conditions the Olympus strobes rapidly for several seconds before taking the picture. Google 'strobing problems with Olympus E510'.:)

The Olympus are a superb camera with really great lenses. But there's not as big a selection as the Canons

True
    - and they're more expensive.

Can of worms, if you compare like for like (but how do you do that?) then I doubt it. Top level Oly lenses are very expensive but that's academic for 99% of folk.
    Also, Canon provide the RAW editing software free. AFAIK Oympus charge for it.

Wrong- Oly Master is free, but you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:

One thing to watch for is that under certain flash conditions the Olympus strobes rapidly for several seconds before taking the picture. Google 'strobing problems with Olympus E510'.:)

True, but its the first thing that anybody who has done any research turns off.

Unfortunately very few shops sell Oly, and any that I have ever seen here would rob you, the internet is your friend here, plus any Oly camera bought from anywhere in Europe will have a two year guarantee out of the box.

:D No thanks. I have the 450D already.;) But I was just going to point out to you that it is a HUGE learning curve coming up from a Bridge camera to a DSLR, and you may not be satisfied with the results you first produce.:)

The learning curve is exactly the reason I want to upgrade. I want more! I have done plenty of experimentation with ISO, shutter speeds, aperatures etc as my bridge camera allowed a considerable amount of options/settings to be altered.

ok, if thats the case then i'd rather pay a little more to get local aftersales service and stick to the Canon E450

• Advertisement

mumof2 wrote: »
    ok, if thats the case then i'd rather pay a little more to get local aftersales service and stick to the Canon E450

Just interested to know what got you interested in the Oly.

The canon is a fine camera but I'd be surprised if the service will be local, but having said that I'd be surprised if you need it, and that goes for all the other brands too. You will pay through the nose for something you will probably never see but that's your choice.

Hope you enjoy it and come back and show us some pics.

nilhg wrote: »
    Just interested to know what got you interested in the Oly.

The canon is a fine camera but I'd be surprised if the service will be local, but having said that I'd be surprised if you need it, and that goes for all the other brands too. You will pay through the nose for something you will probably never see but that's your choice.

Hope you enjoy it and come back and show us some pics.

Olympus is a trusted name, one which has been in my family and as it happens it came up in discussion at my art classes - pics sent via email were of very good quality, and that was an old model apparently as the art teacher said she was upgrading it.

I wont know till I see them in the shop, and if Olympus cant be bought locally (Cork), then I will consider a Canon EOS 450D
    Thanks for the tips.

I just ordered the 450D from Komplett. Price was a decent €589. Any good places for canon/cheaper alternative camera bags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

I just ordered the 450D from Komplett. Price was a decent €589. Any good places for canon/cheaper alternative camera bags?

Me too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

Prob going to order this myself
    Just wondering does it come with the Canon rebate or is the offer over

BH

• Advertisement

the Canon rebate is still active, and as Komplett have an office here, i'm sure they qualify.

Just to let you know, even though the offer was supposed to end on the 4th November, its still there - Argos:

Nikon D40 with 18-55 and 55-200 lens all for EUR 529 down from Eur 679.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 51fun

hi,
    i am in a similar position as the oringal poster dahayser i am thinking of buying a dslr.
    i am thinking about making my purchase on line
    some good deals at the moment the canon 450d 579 euro on komplett.ie or the nikon d60 419 euro on dabs.ie
    i had pretty much made up my mind on getting the canon 450d,
    thats until last night when i attended a lecture on digital media and the speaker giving highly recomended the nikon d 60.
    he did admit he was biased having always used the nikon brand.

basically the pluses for the nikon are the price ! !
    and the negatives are less pixels than the 450d and a smaller viewing screeen.
    apart from these obvious differences i dont know which is the better one i dont mind spending more on the canon if i am getting a better camera.

does any one know if the canon 65 euro cash back offer applys to on line sales ? or does that only apply to high street shops also do you still get the one day training course with an on line purchase ?

any oppinions or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I have a friend, who is a professional photographer, when i was buying my camera he recommended both those models, when i was getting my first D-SLR so really you cant go wrong with either of those models. As you said, the attraction to Nikon is the price, but they are fantastic camera's.

They are a little bit cheaper in price, but not in quality. I would say for your first DSLR go for the cheaper nikon at €419, thats a great price. and get your self a decent tripod aswell.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUND WITH WHAT EVER CAMERA YOU CHOOSE

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Yes, the rebate does apply to online purchases also.

I got the canon 450d last week from warehouse express, I got the 18-55 lens kit, a bag, a 1gb card, a uv lens protector for €635 incl postage, ordered lunchtime Wednesday, had it 10a.m. Friday. Haven't taken many shots with it yet but really pleased with it so far though it is a HUGE learning curve from my Sony cybershot.

I had intended going for a twin lens deal but in the end decided on the single lens and when I know what I'm doing I'll invest in another lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

I also got the canon 450D with the 18-55mm IS lens from komplett.ie

Got it yesterday morning, I had an awards thing and a book launch yesterday afternoon and evening so camera was straight out of the box, charged for an hour and away I and it went

Its a great camera (lighter then I thought it was going to be)
    I had a few people ask me to take photos of them and send them on so I jumped at the chance

Have had 5 orders for prints so far and people (myself included) are very happy with the shots

The only thing I missed is, my old camera was a fijifilm S6500 and the had a 300mm zoom but that can be easy sorted with a new lens on the 450D

Its a nice little camera and am very happy with it so far, Have alot more work outings and partys comming up so will get alot of use from it

BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Babyhack
    Was there an english manual in the box? I got mine today 4 manuals in the box French, Dutch, Italian and German no english :mad:

Anyone know how I can claim the cash back as there was no info on this in the box.

Other than that good service from Komplett and a very nice camera

Wildwater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Canon's web site have the details Ive sent mine away about a week ago, waiting on the rebate returned.

Brian

WildWater wrote: »
    Babyhack
    Was there an english manual in the box? I got mine today 4 manuals in the box French, Dutch, Italian and German no english :mad:

Anyone know how I can claim the cash back as there was no info on this in the box.

Other than that good service from Komplett and a very nice camera

Wildwater

I got the same regarding manuals. You can download the manual from here.

It was kinda strange as they had a checklist of box contents from Canon in English... :rolleyes:

I did get the cash back and free course forms. Great service from Komplett. Ordered Sunday evening and received Thurs morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Cant believe the price of the 450D in some places,was very lucky to get mine for 550 inc cashback at that photography trade show in Dublin/santry last april.Some great deals on the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement