Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 450D Digital SLR

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finally made up my mind to go for the 450D... now just need to source it...

I like the idea of the following kit to get a mid-range zoom lens included from the start but there's not much there regarding lens quality etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-55-250mm-4-0-5-6/dp/B00170WU8M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226752734&sr=8-4

Am I best to go down the 'buy together' route or should I just go for wherever I can get the standard 450d and kit lens cheapest and then get a mid-range zoom separately...

New to DSLR's and have my head melted reading all the various on-line comparison guides etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

I got the same regarding manuals. You can download the manual from here.

It was kinda strange as they had a checklist of box contents from Canon in English... :rolleyes:

I did get the cash back and free course forms. Great service from Komplett. Ordered Sunday evening and received Thurs morning.

Thanks folks. Downloaded the rebate form from canon.ie and now looking forward to 65 yoyos back. Happy Days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

I'm looking at diving into the DSLR market too and the 450D for me seems to be a winner:

What do you guys make of this Bundle?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Cameras%20and%20Lenses/Digital%20SLRs/products/Canon/EOS%20450D%208GB%20Twin%20Lens%20Bundle-75675/Show.html

Is the 2nd lense really worth the extra? Or should I wait it out and buy a better lense in future?

£499 All in ain't bad.

or Should I get just the standard kit for £384?

Thanks,

ViDuchie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

If you're a beginner the bundle is prob worthwhile I would imagine as like you said it's not much more, then when you progress sure you can sell it 2nd hand at any time if you outgrow it and invest in L lenses!
    Decent reviews too...
    http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EXR0VK

Thanks AR :)

Is the Price good for the bundle? :)

It Includes

Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 18-55mm IS lens
    Tamron 70-300mm, f4-5.6 DI lens
    Sandisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC card
    Carry Case

£550

There is a rebate of £50 also.

Could anyone recommend a better retailer?

Regards,

V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Looks good to me and especially with the Sterling being so weak.

Will make the plunge today. This will be my first "proper" camera so hopefully I get the hang of it and have some decent photos, might even be brave enough for C&C.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 wcullen

ViDuchie wrote: »
    Will make the plunge today. This will be my first "proper" camera so hopefully I get the hang of it and have some decent photos, might even be brave enough for C&C.

Thanks

ViDuchie,

I am going to order one of the Jessops Bundles too. Have you placed your order yet? I just need to know how much they charge for delivery. I rang them but the sales rep didnt know!!!

Thanks for your research.

I had to wait to order it tomorrow instead. I also have to order it over the phone for VAT reasons, hopefully tomorrow I'll know for sure and I'll post here

V

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭The Gecko

After much lurching, have plumped for this with jessops today, Based on todays exchange rate should work out around €580 this compares to €699 at Harvey Norman cheapest I could find in Blanch without 8gb and extra lens

* Canon EOS 450D with Canon 18-55mm IS lens
    * Tamron 70-300mm, f4-5.6 DI lens (5123011)
    * Sandisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC card (5124542)

Can anyone recommend a good starter course?

Gecko,

Don't forget your rebate ;)

And did you get the free case ?

V

No Chance of missing out on the rebate!

Just checked and the free case wasn't listed on receipt :( there was an option to add to the bundle for £11 a bag and additional memory card which I ignored in the excitement of ordering. Will nip on now and try to add.....

Had a bit of hassle with ordering seems the order form gets really confused if you put in the dublin postcode in the postcode box! ANd asks for a UK mobile number I just put in 07 and then the correct number to by pass.

Cant wait for delivery its like Santa all over again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey guys,
    I too am in the market for a dslr, and was thining about the 450d. But cash is a bit tight at the moment, and was wondering would you think it was better to go for a 450d with the standard 18-55mm lens and then saving up for a lens with a better zoom, or maybe going for a Canon 1000d / or Nikon D60 kit with 2 lenses?

eg.
    1000d
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1028310
    D60
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1026591

Thanks Guys :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

the-ging wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I too am in the market for a dslr, and was thining about the 450d. But cash is a bit tight at the moment, and was wondering would you think it was better to go for a 450d with the standard 18-55mm lens and then saving up for a lens with a better zoom, or maybe going for a Canon 1000d / or Nikon D60 kit with 2 lenses?

Better zoom for what?

It does help if we know what you want to do with the camera.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Better zoom for what?

It does help if we know what you want to do with the camera.

Good point! Right well I'll be doing a good bit of traveling and want something that will take a good pic probably mosty sceanery, landscapes, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Either of those kits would do fine for that.

If you are travelling, then a good Bridge Camera may suit you better. They are more compact & do not get dust on the sensors.

If ye are buying the camera and havent placed the order yet add this code at checkout:

Code: xmas20

Discount: Save £20 when you spend between £300 - £599.99
    Stats: 100% success rate

It worked fine for me.

Had spotted that code (XMAS20) this morning luckily I had cancelled order so I could add the bundle for £11.

Can confirm Code worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I am having problems placing an order on Jessops. It keeps telling me that my credit card address does not match? I tried phoning them and they weren't much help. They kept telling me to call into a local store.

I have put my address in the same way as it appears on my credit card statement. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dont put anything in the postcode box and you should be ok.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed the post code and tried again. Still the same problem I'm afraid!
    JESSOPS wrote:
    The billing address details you have entered do not match the ones held by your card issuer. Please correct the address and try again. If problems persist, please confirm the details with your card issuer or call our sales team on 0800 083 3113.

The address definitely is correct. I even tried my previous address to see if that would work, but it failed too. I called the sales team and they were useless.

I phoned AIB and they told me that one transaction has been processed for £1 (I assume a test transaction), and no other transactions had been rejected or even attempted. I think it must be the Address Verification system than Jessops use. :(

I might go for this package instead: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1025953

How does this compare?

The Gecko wrote: »
    No Chance of missing out on the rebate!

Just checked and the free case wasn't listed on receipt :( there was an option to add to the bundle for £11 a bag and additional memory card which I ignored in the excitement of ordering. Will nip on now and try to add.....

Had a bit of hassle with ordering seems the order form gets really confused if you put in the dublin postcode in the postcode box! ANd asks for a UK mobile number I just put in 07 and then the correct number to by pass.

Cant wait for delivery its like Santa all over again :D

The Gecko,

Did you get an order confirmation via email from Jessops?

I ordered mine over the phone to avail of the free case offer and have heard nothing.

The order number I was given doesnt appear vaild on the Jessops Site either.

randomer wrote: »
    I phoned AIB and they told me that one transaction has been processed for £1 (I assume a test transaction), and no other transactions had been rejected or even attempted. I think it must be the Address Verification system than Jessops use. :(

I had a call from Halifax saying several small transactions were on my account and was I aware of them, the guy in Jessops claimed everything had gone through, then rang me back and adjusted something to get it to work.

I did read on the website that the card wouldnt be charged until the camera was dispatched so maybe thats why your not seeing your transaction.

wcullen wrote: »
    The Gecko,

Did you get an order confirmation via email from Jessops?

I ordered mine over the phone to avail of the free case offer and have heard nothing.

The order number I was given doesnt appear vaild on the Jessops Site either.
    I got a confirmation email for my order then my cancellation and the re-order this morning. Just checked online and if I log into my account it does not allow me to track order but when I log out and use the track order option it works! shows 0 Dispatched so hasn't shipped yet.

Will check again tomorrow and update.

Hey guys,
    I was trying to order from jessops and the address verification yoke didn't work! So was just going to ring them, but the number on the site is an 0800 number and I can't ring that from my mobile! Is there another number I can try? I cant see any other number on the website.

Thanks
    J

the-ging wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I was trying to order from jessops and the address verification yoke didn't work! So was just going to ring them, but the number on the site is an 0800 number and I can't ring that from my mobile! Is there another number I can try? I cant see any other number on the website.

Thanks
    J

You should be able to call that number by calling 0044800...

I had the same problem, and even when I phoned them they said that my card wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had to order over the phone as well, as there card verification system has a mickey fit due to us having no postcodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The Gecko wrote: »
    After much lurching, have plumped for this with jessops today, Based on todays exchange rate should work out around €580 this compares to €699 at Harvey Norman cheapest I could find in Blanch without 8gb and extra lens

* Canon EOS 450D with Canon 18-55mm IS lens
    * Tamron 70-300mm, f4-5.6 DI lens (5123011)
    * Sandisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC card (5124542)

Can anyone recommend a good starter course?

This bundle is now working out at £619 so €686 :( Why the sudden price hike? Anybody find any other comparable deals and also was anyone able to order online with jessops or did they have to phone? might just see if I can buy it up the North.

The free bag also seems to have disappeared!

As for good starter courses have been looking at the improvers course on www.digitalbeginners.ie

Also anyone think opting for a different kit lens to the 18-55mm is a good idea, I have seen the sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 suggested or is the kit lens fine starting out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Why not look on adverts.ie they often have really good packages. Normal caveats apply

Like this for €350 ish
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=92268&cat=51

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    This bundle is now working out at £619 so €686 :( Why the sudden price hike? Anybody find any other comparable deals and also was anyone able to order online with jessops or did they have to phone? might just see if I can buy it up the North.

The free bag also seems to have disappeared!

As for good starter courses have been looking at the improvers course on www.digitalbeginners.ie

Also anyone think opting for a different kit lens to the 18-55mm is a good idea, I have seen the sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 suggested or is the kit lens fine starting out?

I was recently looking at getting this bundle:

Canon EOS 450D + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
    Sandisk 4GB Ultra II SDHC Memory Card
    Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro (Canon AF)
    Canon LPE5 Battery for the 450D for £616.08 inc delivery but of course tonight when I went to order it, its now £660.21....joy :(

Anyone know any other sites I might get a similar deal at the original price?

Ta

Prices are going up because the £ has dropped in value. There was a window of opportunity when it had first dropped & the shops still had old stock, so the value in € was very good. Now that the retailers have ordered in new stock it has risen in price.

You snoozes you loses!

Prices are going up because the £ has dropped in value. There was a window of opportunity when it had first dropped & the shops still had old stock, so the value in € was very good. Now that the retailers have ordered in new stock it has risen in price.

You snoozes you loses!

Sob!! :( Crosses fingers euro gets stronger again!

With the price change komplett is now cheaper than jessops for the 450D with kit lens, its €579. They don't so bundles though and seem to only have one lens to buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

It's amazing the price difference in the last month.
    I ordered the 450D with 18-55mm IS Lens on warehouse express on Jan 15 for £426.95, it is now £539.99 there. It was only dispatched this week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

You snoozes you loses!

yep....kickin myself for not ordering it the other night...ah well, couldnt really find a better value deal even with the price hike so went ahead and ordered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 change

Something is really strange. Canon EOS 450D + Canon 18-55mm IS Lens Kit costs 469GBP at pixmania.co.uk, which gives 530 Euro if you use Currency Converter at www.XE.com. The same kit in pixmania.ie costs 619 Euro!!!
    Almost the same price difference is between Dabs.co.uk and Dabs.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 change

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    With the price change komplett is now cheaper than jessops for the 450D with kit lens, its €579. They don't so bundles though and seem to only have one lens to buy!

Be careful! This kit from Komplett.ie has no English manual and has only 12 months warranty. The same kit from Pixmania has 24 months warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

change wrote: »
    Be careful! This kit from Komplett.ie has no English manual and has only 12 months warranty. The same kit from Pixmania has 24 months warranty.
    Yeah i bought from komplett.ie
    it is a right pain that the manual comes in about four different languages except english so you are then left with 196 bulky A4 sheets that you have to print at your own cost.
    the manual is really compact, handy for reading on a bus/plane e.t.c
    not much use to me :rolleyes:

if there is any french/italian/dutch/german person out there who wants to swap ! you know where i am guys:D

something for a a future purchaser to bear in mind though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Hey Everyone,

Decided a few weeks ago to get into the DSLR scene so just ordered a 450d + kit lens and a 4gb card from calumet for €570 delivered, should be here by Friday :D

I went into Gunnes on Wexford street at the weekend to try out a few DSLR's and really liked the feel of this one and thought it would be better in the long run to pay that little extra than the 1000d, especially If I'm selling to upgrade. A lot of folks here highly recommend the 450 too so I don't think I'll regret it.

It was retailing in Gunnes at 719 with just the kit lens so I think I've gotten a pretty good deal. They were great in there by the way, really know their stuff and very friendly but as much as I wanted to give them the business for the 450d, I really can't justify almost €200 for extra customer service. That said, I will probably use them for accessories and printing should I need.

I also ordered a copy of "Understanding Exposure" (play.com €15 delivered) as recommended by a lot of people here so I'm really looking forward to becoming a pro photographer :D well....

Also want to say it's a great forum here, I searched through a lot of threads and found some great info on different cameras and some of the technical jargon. There's a good mix of amateurs and professionals by the looks of it and everyone seems very supportive of each other so I look forward to learning a thing or two here.

Conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah i bought from komplett.ie
    it is a right pain that the manual comes in about four different languages except english so you are then left with 196 bulky A4 sheets that you have to print at your own cost.
    the manual is really compact, handy for reading on a bus/plane e.t.c
    not much use to me :rolleyes:

if there is any french/italian/dutch/german person out there who wants to swap ! you know where i am guys:D

something for a a future purchaser to bear in mind though.
    You can pick up copies of the manuals for most cameras on ebay ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

jebuz wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Decided a few weeks ago to get into the DSLR scene so just ordered a 450d + kit lens and a 4gb card from calumet for €570 delivered, should be here by Friday :D

I went into Gunnes on Wexford street at the weekend to try out a few DSLR's and really liked the feel of this one and thought it would be better in the long run to pay that little extra than the 1000d, especially If I'm selling to upgrade. A lot of folks here highly recommend the 450 too so I don't think I'll regret it.

It was retailing in Gunnes at 719 with just the kit lens so I think I've gotten a pretty good deal. They were great in there by the way, really know their stuff and very friendly but as much as I wanted to give them the business for the 450d, I really can't justify almost €200 for extra customer service. That said, I will probably use them for accessories and printing should I need.

I also ordered a copy of "Understanding Exposure" (play.com €15 delivered) as recommended by a lot of people here so I'm really looking forward to becoming a pro photographer :D well....

Also want to say it's a great forum here, I searched through a lot of threads and found some great info on different cameras and some of the technical jargon. There's a good mix of amateurs and professionals by the looks of it and everyone seems very supportive of each other so I look forward to learning a thing or two here.

Conor

Quick question Conor was this a special deal they had on. I can only see three options for the camera (which I am looking for) but none seem to include the card.

Cheers,
    C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    Quick question Conor was this a special deal they had on. I can only see three options for the camera (which I am looking for) but none seem to include the card.

Cheers,
    C

Hi Ciaran,

No there were no deals on the site, the memory card was £15 extra for 4GB which is a very decent price. They seem like a very professional and well organized company, a few people here seem to use them.

Delivery worked out at just over £20. Got a call the next day from a rep who was very nice and took my credit card details, said I should have it by thurs/friday. Hope that helps.

jebuz wrote: »
    Hi Ciaran,

No there were no deals on the site, the memory card was £15 extra for 4GB which is a very decent price. They seem like a very professional and well organized company, a few people here seem to use them.

Delivery worked out at just over £20. Got a call the next day from a rep who was very nice and took my credit card details, said I should have it by thurs/friday. Hope that helps.

It sure does. Am in Drogheda myself so might take a drive up some Saturday. Although with the news of the 500D coming out I am going to leave it a month or two too see if the price of the 450D comes down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Sleepy wrote: »
    You can pick up copies of the manuals for most cameras on ebay ;)
    Thanks for that,
    i never realised that,
    must check it out
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Is the 450D expected to come down much with the 500D being released in May?

Rb wrote: »
    Is the 450D expected to come down much with the 500D being released in May?

Its already come down in price in Argos, its €559 with the kit lens. Now watch the other shops follow. Or print it off from their site and bring it into a shop with you as a bargaining tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    Its already come down in price in Argos, its €559 with the kit lens. Now watch the other shops follow. Or print it off from their site and bring it into a shop with you as a bargaining tool.
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/321-258C/

Is the best I've seen it at although Komplett, in fairness to them, have had the body+kit lens for e599 for a while now.

Rb wrote: »
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/321-258C/

Is the best I've seen it at although Komplett, in fairness to them, have had the body+kit lens for e599 for a while now.

Sorry should be €549 http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5591143/Trail/searchtext%3ECANON+450D.htm

I figure that is better then calumet's price including the delivery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement