Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I got a puncture at the weekend and the rim bent slightly so I'm getting it straightened out and a new tyre put on but someone told me I should get 3 other new tyres once i'm getting this new one, is this right?? cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

No not really. What condition are the other tyres in? If they need replacing (tread depth down to about 3mm) then yes change them all.

If not, you should change both tyres on the same axle (i.e. either the 2 fronts or 2 rears).

Which rim was bent? Aim to have new tyres on the rear and the older ones on the front, you can get the old rears moved to the front if necessary.

Also have a look at your spare, if it is similar to the other 3 tyres you could get it put on and put the new tyre in the boot as the spare (so you only have to buy 1 new tyre).

Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the tyre is unrepairable and has an appreciable amount of wear on it; you should get the other tyre on the same axle replaced at least; because otherwise you'll end up with one wheels diameter being smaller than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have found that any of the tyre places I have been to have been quite honest when I asked them if I needed any other tyres replaced when I've had a puncture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

The tyre that got punctured was the front left and the rim was fixed with a new tyre put on. There's a good enough tread on the other 3 tyres yet and the spare tyre is almost new. I don't want to be out money on 3 tyres if I don't need to but I don't want the car to be out of balance, if you know what i mean! :p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Where was the new tyre put on? As I said, any time I have gone to a kwikfit type place they have told me if I needed others replaced, but more often than not have said that the other tyres are fine. It must be very easy to upsell in a place like that, but my experience is that they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get the new tyre and the spare (almost new you said) fitted to the rear.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement