Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:45am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any experiences of this car, good, bad or indifferent? 1.6D SE Lux looks good value at €32K ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good: Comfortable, safe and enjoyable. Fantastic looks, backed up by a decnt drive.
    Bad: Distracting reflections from dashboard and instruments. Floating dash panel doesn't suit everyone.
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Beautiful car, i tried the 1.8 flexifuel and was considering the change a good while back. The cars finish is first class. I found the 1.8 flexifuel under powered for the car. The 1.6d with the extra torque woudl probably be a nicer drive, im not sure.
    What i was not too keen on was the long clutch travel, im used to the clutch in a seat leon. Other than that, niggles I found for me were with the boot which is quite long but not very deep .

Other than that, great car. Personal fav would be the 2.0d which is a lovely car to drive too... but i could not afford it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Hi OP,

I sat into a 2008 V50 in Tom Canavan's a few months ago. It was a flexifuel one and was offered it for mid-twenties, even though it was fully loaded. I'm not a leather fan, but this particular one had the good stuff. I have to agree with the others, I was a little bit blown away by the quality of the interior in the showroom and thought it was a great place to be, and I'd sat in all sorts of cars that same week ranging from Saabs to Hondas etc. The V50 was very nice.

Problem for me? No auto option. I just couldn't be bothered doing manual anymore. Other than that, I would have driven off that day in the V50.

One word of caution is on the price, 32k is really quite a lot to pay for such a car. Keep it in mind that a brand new S80 2.0D is €39,995 for a much bigger car. Granted you may not need such a thing, but €32k for a S40 is quite dear when you can get the S80 for a few grand more... Tis just a thought mind you. I'm sure Volvo will allow you to bargain hard though. Best of luck.

ps. I'm waiting for the powershift box to be put into the V70 or something like that. Though it looks like I'll be waiting a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Good: Very comfortable, lots of kit for the money, looks good, 1.8 (not flexifuel) is adequately fast. Dont know about the diesels.

Bad: Volvo servicing costs, mine eats headlamp bulbs, small opening for the boot so it's hard to get stuff into it,

Depreciation is the real killer though. There are good 3-yr old versions on Carzone asking 16k or less. You could probably save even more buying in the UK. I don't want to turn this thread into a 'you're better off buying secondhand' argument, but if you're going to buy a new S40, do the deal with your eyes open..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I sat into a 2008 V50 in Tom Canavan's a few months ago. It was a flexifuel one and was offered it for mid-twenties, even though it was fully loaded. I'm not a leather fan, but this particular one had the good stuff. I have to agree with the others, I was a little bit blown away by the quality of the interior in the showroom and thought it was a great place to be, and I'd sat in all sorts of cars that same week ranging from Saabs to Hondas etc. The V50 was very nice.

Problem for me? No auto option. I just couldn't be bothered doing manual anymore. Other than that, I would have driven off that day in the V50.

One word of caution is on the price, 32k is really quite a lot to pay for such a car. Keep it in mind that a brand new S80 2.0D is €39,995 for a much bigger car. Granted you may not need such a thing, but €32k for a S40 is quite dear when you can get the S80 for a few grand more... Tis just a thought mind you. I'm sure Volvo will allow you to bargain hard though. Best of luck.

ps. I'm waiting for the powershift box to be put into the V70 or something like that. Though it looks like I'll be waiting a while..

Appreciate the feedback. S40 fully loaded is €32K whereas the S60 only starts at €40K. Still veering heavily towards a loaded 9-3 120BHP Saab.

** Sorry S40 SE Lux €33930.00 plus dealer charges loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

useless wrote: »
    Good: Very comfortable, lots of kit for the money, looks good, 1.8 (not flexifuel) is adequately fast. Dont know about the diesels.

Bad: Volvo servicing costs, mine eats headlamp bulbs, small opening for the boot so it's hard to get stuff into it,

Depreciation is the real killer though. There are good 3-yr old versions on Carzone asking 16k or less. You could probably save even more buying in the UK. I don't want to turn this thread into a 'you're better off buying secondhand' argument, but if you're going to buy a new S40, do the deal with your eyes open..

Is servicing cost bad on them, then? Looking to keep for 5/6 years, so depreciation may not be so relevant?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Appreciate the feedback. S40 fully loaded is €32K whereas the S60 only starts at €40K. Still veering heavily towards a loaded 9-3 120BHP Saab.

Tis a tough one alright between them, both are very comfortable cars! I'll take either! Maybe try and drive both on one particular day?

Twas the S80 I was talking about which, even in base spec, comes with pretty much everything you need. But whatever about that, As 'useless' was saying, I just am not sure what that'll do to resale values for the rest of the range. Volvo have really been messing up the last few years. As we all know, come resale time, you get nothing back for all those options you've spent €1000s on. I tend to just stick to base and add on one or two things I must need - but then - I've never used Sat-Nav or any of that stuff, so might just be me!

Anyway, sounds like you'll be getting a nice car either way!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whiterebel-I had a 1.6d for 6 months as a company car and have to say it was one of my favourite Volvos to drive (not being biased here now--I still prefer my Hybrid)

Comfortable,great on diesel and always found it had enough poke for a 1.6d.

I wouldnt know about servicing costs but if its anything like here expect 95+ euros an hour for servicing + parts.Get serviced in a main dealer until the warrantys up and then go where you like(just my opinion)

Someone mentioned them blowing bulbs??Buy osram longlife H7 ones and pay the bit extra and not the cheap sh!t you get in the local service station.We service Garda cars that were going through 3 bulbs a week until we got the osram ones in.Definately make a difference.

superjosh9 wrote: »
    Tis a tough one alright between them, both are very comfortable cars! I'll take either! Maybe try and drive both on one particular day?

Twas the S80 I was talking about which, even in base spec, comes with pretty much everything you need. But whatever about that, As 'useless' was saying, I just am not sure what that'll do to resale values for the rest of the range. Volvo have really been messing up the last few years. As we all know, come resale time, you get nothing back for all those options you've spent €1000s on. I tend to just stick to base and add on one or two things I must need - but then - I've never used Sat-Nav or any of that stuff, so might just be me!

Anyway, sounds like you'll be getting a nice car either way!

Sorry, misread that will toddle off and have a look at S80 now.
    Going to test drive Saab, BMW 318D,Lexus 220D on Friday. Going to have a look at A4 tomorrow.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Sorry, misread that will toddle off and have a look at S80 now.
    Going to test drive Saab, BMW 318D,Lexus 220D on Friday. Going to have a look at A4 tomorrow.

Nice one, tis a nice selection of cars alright.

I drove the S80, it's a big car. Again like the V50, if I could get an auto in a reasonable tax band, would have bought one straight away. I suppose I just like big cars, that's what I'm used to - but not to everyone's tastes.

I've been a Volvo driver for umpteen years btw, servicing and dealer costs often make me cry. Would definitely talk to all makes/dealers and like you're saying, factor it in if it's a concern.

Just throwing it out there, my parents and brother have both shifted to Hyundai Sonatas this year after a life of Volvos/Saabs/Mercs etc., if you're in a dealer, I'd at least have a walk around the Sonata. A wild card..?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

Didnt you have your "dream car" down to a list of 4 a week ago?

Why not drive the ones that you are interested and buy the one that you really like?

mountain wrote: »
    Didnt you have your "dream car" down to a list of 4 a week ago?

Why not drive the ones that you are interested and buy the one that you really like?

I do like to have my howework done first. Someone suggested a 159, so I had a look but the price is way out there. Someone else suggested a Volvo, which i hadn't thought of. Not a crime to ask the question, is it? As per above post, driving 3 of them on Friday, when decision should be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

i drove a V50 for 3 years, 1.8 petrol, underpowered but well built, reliable and comfortable, got a poor trade in though.

Leg space in back was poor, and boot wasnt huge, however, its probably a better buy than the S40, as its more practical.

Maybe you should make a list of the things that are important to you in your new car, and see which car fits best.
    For me, when i changed my car a year ago, rear leg space was important as i seem to be raising monster size boys! Also boot space and safety,

mountain wrote: »
    i drove a V50 for 3 years, 1.8 petrol, underpowered but well built, reliable and comfortable, got a poor trade in though.

Leg space in back was poor, and boot wasnt huge, however, its probably a better buy than the S40, as its more practical.

Maybe you should make a list of the things that are important to you in your new car, and see which car fits best.
    For me, when i changed my car a year ago, rear leg space was important as i seem to be raising monster size boys! Also boot space and safety,

As per the my other thread, which you referred to, They all seem to be around the same spec level, with variations on price. Have two boys myself (7 and 12) who seem to be of the monster variety, so I should probably bring them on the test drive to check out the rear leg space. Maybe I should have just added the question about the Volvo onto the other thread and kept it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm a big fan of Volvos (Mrs. R.O.R drives a V50), but based on everything you've said in this and the other thread, the S40 would be right down the bottom of the list.

The spec on the SE is more than enough, the LUX version is overkill in my opinion, but those electric seats are nice. If you are planning on keeping it for 5-6 years then the rear seats won't be big enough for the kids as they get older.

I've driven a good few 1.6d versions and always been disappointed in the performance, I know it's not one of your main requirements, but the last one I drove was out accelerated by a Traffic Van!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I like the current S40, it is a well built, well finished car and the SE is well speced. The S40 uses the Ford Focus chassis and running gear and the 1.6d is a Peugeot/Citroen HDi unit which is one of the best in it's class. Another bonus is that the SE leather heated seats are very comfy and they are like sitting in an arm chair.

I have that engine in my Focus and is nippy, frugal and quite refined for a diesel, not sure how it manages in the S40 as the S40 is a bit heavier than a Focus. The 2.0d might be more suited.

Downsides of the S40 is that rear legroom is limited and access to the boot is restrictive. Also depreciation is a concern when buying new but if you are keeping it for a good number of years then it may be of very little relevance. The good thing is that the diesel will always be popular used and worth that little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I have had a S40 2.0d since 2005 its the SE premium love the car great great engine but boot is small and rear leg room is very poor.

Service costs last one was €450 standard no extras 100,000k service at a main dealer.:mad:

Absolute rip off servicing cost's and parts etc like wipers are a stupid price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvo dealers are notoreous for being expensive regarding servicing and parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Volvo dealers are notoreous for being expensive regarding servicing and parts.

I think that's why Bank of Ireland dropped them from the list of company cars you could get.

Sounds like it's worthwhile to find a good independent...

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

My last standard main dealer service was 400 euro. As for the bulbs, doesn't seem to matter what brand of H7's I use, I go through one every 6 weeks or so...

Didnt really notice the rear legroom issue as I'm never in there.

• Advertisement

useless wrote: »
    My last standard main dealer service was 400 euro. As for the bulbs, doesn't seem to matter what brand of H7's I use, I go through one every 6 weeks or so...

Didnt really notice the rear legroom issue as I'm never in there.

Ouch! Blackwater Motors told me today €195 for standard service every 30K for the A4......

Advertisement