Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs outside during winter

Options
  • 28-10-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

I done a search but couldnt find a thread on this so here goes ...

Now that the winter is setting in im wondering about the dogs sleeping outside for winter. I have 2 strays taken in they have a lovely wooden kennel thats not too big but they have loads of room to move around in it. Its raised up off the ground and water proof the door is away from the wind so its really just the temperature im worried about.

Now my problem is insulating it i tried with newspaper a very good insulator but they ripp it out tear it up and pull it all over the garden, i put in a little dog bed but that got taken out i even tried a lovely big quilt that they love sleeping on thinking that would keep them snug but you guessed it they dragged it out into the midddle of the garden and slept on the quilt out there !! .

I know some dogs hate you messing with there house and thats my two. So does anyone have any tips for keeping them warm through the winter nights. dog jackets or sleeping inside are not and option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Heat pad.

And every time they take bedding out of their kennel, you put it back in there.

Stick with the quilt, put an electric chew-proof heat pad under it (google them), and buy something like a saddle blanket and fix that over the kennel door as a moveable flap - that or a large piece of heavy duty waxed canvas, if the kennel door isn't in a waterproof position.

Also, why are dog jackets not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It might help to insulate the roof with polystyrene - on the outside? Then some thick plastic tarp stable gunned over it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I can barely get my two out to the toilet in this weather...they tip toe around the grass likes its broken glass or something :D .

I think damp and wind is the main thing. Once its raised off the ground and sheltered from the wind, thats good.

I use vet bed for my two, after going through all sorts of blankets and quilts, this is the only thing thats worked. Its warm, very durable, and washable to...and water soaks through and out the bottom.
    They tried for 2 days to drag it around and rip it. But once they realised it wasn't giving they now happily leave it in place (and these are akitas so they gave it a good going). I would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

once the box is in good nick free from leaks and drafts the dogs will be fine. especially since theres two of them to keep each other warm. rather then bedding put flaps over the entrance to the kennell that'll kepp any heat in the kennell and they be a snug as bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

The kennel is top quality there are no drafts or leaks the door is protected from the rain and wind. I was thinking of the insulating i was going to put it on the inside and box it out with wood so they dont ripp that apart but that would cut down the size inside for them as you have to insulate all walls and roof for it to be any use and wood is as good if not better insulator than aero board.

Think ill get a flap for the door, ill try there bedding again maybe that vets blanket sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

that vets blanket sounds good.

Its actually called "VetBed" its a bobbly fleecy type thing and is great for keepin them warm. You can buy a roll of it and cut it as needed!

Just on the heat pad thing - if your dogs are barking at night you may find it's because they're awake and they're cold. Ours went through a phase of being really light sleepers because they were cold and they yapped at everything at night as a result. We solved that with a dog jacket each and tried various kinds of bedding that they shredded.

Eventually our local supermarket had a special on cheap feather duvets and we bought two queensize jobs and put one in each kennel. (When they were cold, they were irritable and one would throw the other out of their shared kennel, so we got a second kennel instead.) We had tried foam linings, saddle blankets (which work well because they're hard-wearing), flaps over the kennel door, and at the coldest point of winter we ended up with two dog jackets on each dog (inner, fabric jacket and outer drizabone waterproof one) plus a feather duvet each!!

I was explaining this to a workmate of mine who's a wildlife carer, and she pointed out two different kinds of heat pads - one's a square plug-in, and the second looks all the world like a dinner-plate-sized frisbee. You microwave it and then put it UNDER the bedding (because it starts off quite hot) and it cools slowly over about 12 hours. Because the heat pad creates heat in the bed, as opposed to cold bedding that will insulate the animal's own heat, they settle more quickly and stay settled for longer. One of those microwaveable heat pads per dog would have saved us a fortune compared to the price of failed bedding + successful bedding + four jackets + an extra kennel...

(Not that I had to pay it - they're my mother in law's dogs :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't mean to be smart, but with all that effort and cost, would it not have been easier and cheaper to simply bring the dogs indoors at night - they'd have been fine in the utility room for example? But maybe there's a good reason like someone in the house is allergic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Was having the same thoughts op, I never put in a winter like it last year, went through blankets like there was no tomorrow, i spent half the winter pickeing up shredded or wet blankets from the garden, our biggest mistake was a duvet, was taking that out of the mneighbours trees after the dogs were done with it.
    I know petmania do a fleecy blanket type thing that comes on a roll and you cut it too size, quiet dear though so am going to give the vet bed's a go first. If not will get the roll and use a staple gun to get it to stay. We are also replacing the kennel, we have two kennels but the dogs share one, so we are getting a massive kennel, our local hardware store have fantastic new ones in for only 250 euros, they are hugh, nearly like a mini shed. My dogs just don't like the dog jackets, maybe just not being used to them, but gave up after the ninety times of trying to get them on.
    The door flap is a good idea, will definatly give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Gogo, the stuff in Petmania is actually vet bed. :)

I wouldn't nail it down because it does need to be washed occasionally, like any other bedding. It'll go through your washing machine fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Thanks Boomerang, well thats solves the issue of where i was going to get it, :D Was going to staple it down so I could pull it up again, although I guess if I just keep putting it back in they will eventually get used to it.

Also on a side point about blankets, if you play with the dogs and a blanket it gets their smell on it, and they won't be so against it, in the kennel- not scientific mind but observation so mightnt always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Using insulation slotted into the roof, sides and floor of the kennel then marine plywood nailed over it will help keep the kennel warm a door with a flap rather than an opening would help as well to keep draughts out. Even when in a sheltered position.

If the kennel is in a position where the rain doesn't get in at all then carpet could be nailed to the back part of the kennel or all of the kennel as carpet ends are cheap..you can sometimes get them free as well they could be replaced every couple of months. I used a carpet nailed down in a very sheltered kennel, was like a porch and it worked well but probably would of gotten soaked if outside.

Snuggle safe heat pads are great but they don't stay warm for the whole night. Bubble wrap is known to be a good insulater if you can fit it without the dogs chewing it. Or those blue tarps you can get to cover cars etc can be used on the outside to just keep out the wind. If the kennels are a shiplap timber then they would be warmer than a standard kennel.

Another option could be a small shed rather than kennels with a heat lamp but prob. is there the larger the space the less heat it will hold in so a kennel with enough room to stretch out in but not overly huge holds in the heat better so the ones you have sound grand.

boomerang wrote: »
    I don't mean to be smart, but with all that effort and cost, would it not have been easier and cheaper to simply bring the dogs indoors at night - they'd have been fine in the utility room for example? But maybe there's a good reason like someone in the house is allergic.

We have three indoor cats. The dogs are on a covered decking area at the back, but because they're JR crosses they're on the small side and they find it hard, in a larger kennel, to get enough bedding around themselves to insulate against cold.

Also, because they're JR crosses, they hate the cats. :) If one dog was ill and needed close care we'd bring them inside into the utility room no bother and make the effort to segregate all parties, but as it stands, there'd be killings. The two dogs and three cats pointedly ignore each other these days, but that's when there's a window, screen door or trellis gate between them. We've allowed them direct contact that's very closely monitored, but they'll never be friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭05D

Kennel heating?? Or clothes???
    Hi All, I recently got a new dog which is going to stay out the back during the day and indoors at night. He has a kennel out the back but I'm afraid he is going to be too cold considering the weather we are having!!what is the best way to keep him warm or insulating his kennel? Would dog clothes suit??Help appreciated!Regards.

05D wrote: »
    Kennel heating?? Or clothes???
    Hi All, I recently got a new dog which is going to stay out the back during the day and indoors at night. He has a kennel out the back but I'm afraid he is going to be too cold considering the weather we are having!!what is the best way to keep him warm or insulating his kennel? Would dog clothes suit??Help appreciated!Regards.

With dog clothes you have to remember if they get wet and he is out in the freezing temperatures on his own all day then he will be colder. Dogs have a natural coat anyway so im all ways wary of dog jackets unless its for dogs with short fur grey hounds or jacks etc .

Check above for tips on insulating the kennel

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

We have three indoor cats. The dogs are on a covered decking area at the back, but because they're JR crosses they're on the small side and they find it hard, in a larger kennel, to get enough bedding around themselves to insulate against cold.

Also, because they're JR crosses, they hate the cats. If one dog was ill and needed close care we'd bring them inside into the utility room no bother and make the effort to segregate all parties, but as it stands, there'd be killings. The two dogs and three cats pointedly ignore each other these days, but that's when there's a window, screen door or trellis gate between them. We've allowed them direct contact that's very closely monitored, but they'll never be friends.

We're blessed in the fact that the cats have the 2 top floors during the day plus the catrun is nearly ready, the dogs have the bottom floor & the garden. Although 2 of the dogs tend to prefer being with the cats in the evening. Dogs are in during the day though, they are big dogs that don't like the cold, bless their wussy socks.

Op, we have many colony cats in different locations with kennels. Through trial & error, bubble wrap on the inside seems to be the best thing for insulating them. Polystyrene cut to shape is very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catnap

for your problem of the dogs dragging out their bedding, secure the vet bed to the floor of the kennel(assuming its a wooden kennel)using carpet tacks or even a staple gun.that way at least you can be sure they have a soft ground to lie on, the flap on the front is a good idea to keep out the winter wind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

boomerang wrote: »
    they'd have been fine in the utility room for example?

The vast majority of houses in Ireland don't have a utility room, so that's not an option for most people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Another indoor option is to set up a 'den' area for them to sleep in at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

id go with some kingspan ,,if not let em in,,its freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

dog jackets or sleeping inside are not and option.

Why wouldn't you let them in ? I'm sorry but I don't understand that. It's gonna be so cold tonight for example....that could make them ill or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

MissyN wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you let them in ? I'm sorry but I don't understand that. It's gonna be so cold tonight for example....that could make them ill or something.

Some dog owners prefer their dogs to be outdoor dogs. Unless they are young puppies or breeds that are just not suitable for outdoor living it's perfectly fine. They are animals it won't make them sick if it's what they're used to. They have shelter, and they have each other it's perfectly acceptable for the OP to keep their dogs outside.

They are too big and wild and the house is too small for them to live inside if i had a utility room or something like that or a patio they could stay in there. When they first arrived as puppies they lived inside but now they are two years old and i rent out 2 rooms in the house so its not pracical to have them inside.

They are a good size dogs with heavy coats and a really nice kennel so with a little insulating they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

im such a softie, i couldnt let my dog sleep outside, and i know in my head that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and they will be perfectly nothing wrong with it, but i cant do it!!
    and the thing i try to keep telling myself is - they aint humans!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If their coats are good and thick and in good condition they will be fine, our dogs winter coats are just growing in now if a dog is weathered their coat will moult heavily once a year. I've noticed that with mine, once the winter coat has been brushed out she doesn't shed much at all where as indoor pooches can shed all year round and never really get that really thick winter coat. It's amazing how much fur they grow over winter in Spring they both produce a heck of a lot of fur so much I hand them over to the groomer to deal with otherwise I'm brushing forever.

Still, it is nicer to have pooches indoors but not always possible.
    Anyhow a healthy dog is fine outside noone seems to care about guineapigs being put outside all winter when they are one animal that should not be outside at this time of year at all they are far more delicate than a dog and no doubt this year, as usual, there will be numerous rabbits and guineas dying over the winter months because of being left in the same position they were over summer with no extra shelter or bedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I had a Rottweiler dog once who had an excellent outside box with insulation the lot.

The funny thing was if a mat or dog basket or anything like that, was left out by mistake, no matter how cold, frost, even snow one time, I'd find him asleep on it in the morning totally exposed to the elements and perfectly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dobies and collie sleep outside but they are in the garage. Within the garage they have their own large insulated and air heated kennel. They are locked in on really cold or bad nights.

I don't think any of the kennels on the market here are suitable for the Irish climate and are hopeless at dealing with low temperatures.

I assume you don't have a garage? If you have you should put their dog kennel into it.

Well i fitted out the kennel with the Vet bed yesterday it was lovely and warm but then this morning you guessed it it was ripped out and thrown in the garden i now have a very wet muddy vet bed and 2 guilty looking dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Well i fitted out the kennel with the Vet bed yesterday it was lovely and warm but then this morning you guessed it it was ripped out and thrown in the garden i now have a very wet muddy vet bed and 2 guilty looking dogs :D

Awww they just can't help themselves. I can just imagine them with the tails wagging and the ears flat into their furry little heads !!! Sure what would we do without them eh???? The cuteness.

• Advertisement

Awww they just can't help themselves. I can just imagine them with the tails wagging and the ears flat into their furry little heads !!! Sure what would we do without them eh???? The cuteness.

I try to be sternn with them but one sideways look with the tounge hanging out gets me every time :D

Advertisement