Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick puppy, cant get to vets untill tomorrow!

Options
  • 28-10-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My 5 month old westie pup has gotten a dose of the runs. It started last night, he was groaning and then the runs began and they haven't stopped! Hes done about 5 in total and they are like water, I reckon he has a sick tummy but I rang the ver there and there are appointments available untill tomorrow. What should I do in the mean time? Other than the poo hes fine, still very active and full of energy, I gave him a wee bit of food this morning and im giving him lots of water so he doesn't de-hydrate himself..any other advice??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Fast him for a day, then feed a little boiled rice & chicken. Make sure he has access to plenty of water and bring him to the vet as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

be very careful he doesnt get dehydrated as the runs can do this and they can go downhill very quick. even try giving some electrolytes in the water until you get to the vets, it might not be serious but if he sarts vomitting get him down to the vets whether they have an appt or not,a s they can die from dehydration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'd suggest going to the chemists and getting a syringe, that way you can ensure you get liquids into him. They will also sell you something like diaralyte (sp) to keep him hydrated. That is the most important thing, as andreac says, they can become dehydrated very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Completely fast him until tomorrow, no food at all. Get syringe from chemist as suggested above and syringe very slowly an electrolyte mixture into his mouth. Do it at the side of the mouth in short trickles just to keep him hydrated.

I wouldnt panic yourself though..diarrohea happens and can go as quickly as it comes on. If still no improvement after 24 hrs or so then head off to the vets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the replies guys, i've got a syringe here at the house, where could I get the electolyte mixture from though? What is it even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I think its called Diorolyte (sp?) something like that! Can you get to a chemist? Its just a solution to replace lost salts (sodium, potassium etc) in the body..the result of dehydration!

anniehoo wrote: »
    I think its called Diorolyte (sp?) something like that! Can you get to a chemist? Its just a solution to replace lost salts (sodium, potassium etc) in the body..the result of dehydration!

Yep, I'll go into the chemist asap and get it. He seems to be improving, hasn't gone to the toilet in over 2 hours and the last time he did it wasnt as runny as at first.

Have you changed food or anything recently? was he given something to eat that he doesnt usually get? that could of caused the upset, what about worming, are you doing this regularly? it doesnt sound too serious if hes in good form, so just keep an eye, if he goes back to normal in a day or so, might not be a need for the vet.

Nope, his diet hasnt been changed at all, although he was over at my girlfriends house yesterday and her mum might have giving him something, I asked her this and she said he wasnt given anything out of the ordinary though. As for worming, He was wormed yesterday morning. I used to do this every 3 weeks but was told by the people in the pet shop I bought him I should do it every week untill hes 6 months. Perhaps the tablet is too strong for his stomach to be given every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Usually if you change food, i.e puppy to dog food, they'll need time to adapt. Try to mix old food and new food together and then gradually filter out the old food :D

Don't worry, if he's playful and energetic he should be fine! Just when stressed like new homes, they can do these things but he'll adapt. Just spoil him, loads of love and attention and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Duff wrote: »
    Nope, his diet hasnt been changed at all, although he was over at my girlfriends house yesterday and her mum might have giving him something, I asked her this and she said he wasnt given anything out of the ordinary though. As for worming, He was wormed yesterday morning. I used to do this every 3 weeks but was told by the people in the pet shop I bought him I should do it every week untill hes 6 months. Perhaps the tablet is too strong for his stomach to be given every week?

Every WEEK?

I always thought it was every month until 6 months.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Every WEEK?

I always thought it was every month until 6 months.

Yup thats what I was told, I think ill go back to doing it every 3 weeks, he was doing just fine that way.

JESUS NO!!
    Not every week, who told you that??? Its every month til they are 3 months, then every 3 months i think, no wonder the poor dog has the runs, please stop worming him like that, you will kill the poor fella.

andreac wrote: »
    JESUS NO!!
    Not every week, who told you that??? Its every month til they are 3 months, then every 3 months i think, no wonder the poor dog has the runs, please stop worming him like that, you will kill the poor fella.

Like I said, thats what I was told in the pet shop, I obviously wont be doing that again now, Wont worm him again untill christmass.

Thanks for the info!

Oh please ony take advice on any form of medication from the vet, i would also advise you to buy the wormer from the vet as they are much better quality ones and can give you the correct dosage.
    A lot of pet shops really dont have a clue about medications and dosage, i would always take advice from the experts, god knows how many people were being told this wrong information.
    It could be the wormer thats giving him the runs.

andreac wrote: »
    Oh please ony take advice on any form of medication from the vet, i would also advise you to buy the wormer from the vet as they are much better quality ones and can give you the correct dosage.
    A lot of pet shops really dont have a clue about medications and dosage, i would always take advice from the experts, god knows how many people were being told this wrong information.
    It could be the wormer thats giving him the runs.

Will do, hes playing away downstairs at the minute and is drinking plenty of water from his bowl, if he hasnt improved by tomorrow ill bring him straight to the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm guessing you're using Bob Martins? Have heard of some dogs having the same reaction to it.

Like andreac correctly says please buy your wormer from the vet, same goes for flea treatments.

Advertisement