Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Downloading EVE to try it out

Options
  • 28-10-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Just gonna try the 14 days free.

What is the game like... am I gonna be spending these 14 days getting to a point where the game isnt even at its best?
    I dont wanna grind for 14 days :(

I just wanna PvP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

In 14 days with the right starting skill set you can PvP , no guarantee you can kill anything tho :p , in my opnion , eve is hard to get into but when you really get down into its complexity , its unrivaled , i mean i love warhammer , love it , but i recently started pirating with my mate in eve , and i just have not logged onto warhammer in a few weeks :p

Eve PvP ( From my small scale experience's ) takes alot more paitence , but , the ability to inflict a real loss on the char , i.e a ship he has been saving up for for 2 weeks , is so much more satisfying ( and head wrecking :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Afraid not mate.. In 14 days you wont even scratch the surface.. It'll take a minimum of say 3 - 6 months of training time before you'll start to see how great Eve can be. And 4 years later.. still realise you know **** all about the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

mamolian wrote: »
    Afraid not mate.. In 14 days you wont even scratch the surface.. It'll take a minimum of say 3 - 6 months of training time before you'll start to see how great Eve can be. And 4 years later.. still realise you know **** all about the game :D

Mamo is right unfortunately, it is still possible to get a good bit of pvp done in the first 14 days of the trial, but you'd need to jump into faction warfare or join a corp at war if you don't want to get butchered in your t1 frig/t1 cruiser.

Drop into the irish room (just go to channels and mailing lists neocon on the left and click join under channels then type irish and join, or ok) and i'm sure a few of the lads will be able to answer any questions you might have, or point you to a forum that can.

If you think your going to be in the game for the long haul learning skills are the way to go at the start, its really a grind for them, but it benefits you in the long run as your other skills will train a lot faster meaning bigger/better guns/ships even faster

Your not limited to the number of trial accounts you can play so if you want to just train a few basic skills up and pvp there is nothing stopping you doing it then coming back to another trial account and starting for real.

I can give you a chunk of isk (in-game currency) for your 14 day pvp fest of if you want to start for real, but itll only hold you to the point of your first cruiser and fittings. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

If you want to get involved with pvp right from day one you either need to know someone who is already playing Eve and is in a pvp corp, or be the most likable person ever. Very few corps will take someone who is still in the 14 day trial.

Eve University might take you in during the trial and show you around, their site is http://www.eve-ivy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Train propulsion jamming 1.

Get frigate. Rifter, Punisher, Tristan, Imicus, Kestrel all decent choices

Fit mods.

Go to belt in empire, find someone mining, steal from their can. Pop can [ see previous step first] or just plain steal from it and haul ore back to station until miner gets pissed and aggresses. Get aggro and PvP miner - Die or kill. Loot or respawn.

Rinse, repeat.

Join factional warfare corp. Blob up and die in a fire.
    It'll take a minimum of say 3 - 6 months of training time before you'll start to see how great Eve can be.

Lies! EVE is griefing. The greatest feeling in EVE is knowing you have reached out and ruined someone elses day. You can grief people within a few hours of creating your character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Scam somebody, use the isk to buy a good char. Simple.

Sand wrote: »
    EVE is griefing. The greatest feeling in EVE is knowing you have reached out and ruined someone elses day. You can grief people within a few hours of creating your character.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even a newbie in a pod can bump people while they're trying to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lies! EVE is griefing. The greatest feeling in EVE is knowing you have reached out and ruined someone elses day. You can grief people within a few hours of creating your character.

+1

thats what i keep telling my wow friends but they just dont get it.

Ok how about another suggestion.. It is possible to buy Game Time Cards with real money.. which give 60 days worth of play time ingame..

Its within the rules to sell those GTC's to other players for ingame money ;) Hence.. after your 14 days If you did like what you saw.. You could buy a couple of GTC's sell them.. and then buy a character with more skill time already completed..

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/code.php/eve_online Each GTC works out around Approximately 26.80 Euros.. and can sell for 500 mill ingame ;P sochrist.. even 50 euro would set you up with a very nice starter character.

Something to keep in mind. Especially since that 50 euro is a fair bit cheaper than the years worth of subscriptions youd have to pay to train your char ;)

• Advertisement

I dunno tbh. Id argue hes best to have a main he crafts himself, has a sense of ownership of himself. Bought characters I could only see as being capital or industrial alts. You want a character as your main that you can say, this is my creation.

I think CCP could do with having a character build thats got all the rank 1 learning skills trained up + science/cybernetics for implants. Perfect for alts etc or starter characters who are getting advice/mentoring from a person already involved in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

If, in the huge wide world of online gaming, there is something more fun than can tipping somes hard mined ore from directly under their noses and then warping the f**k outa dodge i am unaware of it...

Downloaded the trial 5/6 days ago and I think im hoooked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Glippo

ampjohnny wrote: »
    If, in the huge wide world of online gaming, there is something more fun than can tipping somes hard mined ore from directly under their noses and then warping the f**k outa dodge i am unaware of it...

lol

ampjohnny wrote: »

Any other games might ban you for griefing :D:D:pac::pac::D:D

Gotta ****ing love Eve tbh

The best part about EVE isnt just the griefing. Its that everyone is trying to grief everyone else. So you have a reason to band up with other players to boost your griefing efficiency and reduce your own griefage.

You can grief miners by stealing their ore, saying "Cheers mate - I could have mined all that ore, but you do it for me!"

And he can grief you by mining into the can of another corp who then web/kill you for added lulz when you steal from it.

You dont get that sort of...mob justice...in other game where people can **** with you. In EVE, there are consequences which include griefing. Some guy stole some drones from a recent kill of ours. He thought he was playing WoW and that I couldnt get even, that he was free to thieve from me. Now I get to grief him by deccing his corp, having his CEO chew him out, and force him to write me a personal apology, pay me millions of ISK AND...return the drones he stole. Thats why I love EVE.

Sand wrote: »
    You dont get that sort of...mob justice...in other game where people can **** with you. In EVE, there are consequences which include griefing. Some guy stole some drones from a recent kill of ours. He thought he was playing WoW and that I couldnt get even, that he was free to thieve from me. Now I get to grief him by deccing his corp, having his CEO chew him out, and force him to write me a personal apology, pay me millions of ISK AND...return the drones he stole. Thats why I love EVE.

Sand, you are very awesome at times :D

Advertisement