Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banks,loans and unemployed people

Options
  • 28-10-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Ok this is advice im lookin for, for a friend of mine. Debs hasnt been working in over a year might be a bit longer than that but anyways. When she was unemployed(newly) she got a loan from a major not so Irish bank of €15,000 - I dont know how. She rang them bout 6 months later and asked them if was possible to decrease the loan repayments as she still isnt working and they agredd. The lady form the bank asked her if she would like a small top up on the loan and they gave her another €15,000 ? The bank then sent out a courier for her to sign the forms(I never heard of this) and she signed them on the spot and failed to read over them. (I have a good job and good money and I cant even get that wtf?)

So now she has no job still and they coped on to their error and theres some phone calls etc. Now Debs has been lookin for a job but hasnt been succesful s yet but seriously what does she do? She cant even afford a solicitor. So what does she do ? And who's at fault here?

By the way her she got the loan with her own bank who can see that she hasnt been workin?

Seriosly any advice would help cos she is stuck BIGTIME

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In the end, she is. She signed the forms, and she applied for a loan knowing she had no income. One can but wonder where she thought they money would come from.

The bank was probably operating on her previous record, which up to that point may have been impeccable. We've no way of knowing what *actually* transpired between her and the bank, so asking people to speculate is pointless.

Really, she needs to go MABS (www.mabs.ie) and start making a plan with them and the bank as to how the amount can be managed and an amicable agreeement made to pay back what is owed. She should speak to the branch manager (in person or via registered post) as the first port of call if she feels the bank did her wrong, and if not satisfied there, then to the banks Customer Care department at their head office. If there is no satisfaction there, then the Financial Regulator can be contacted.

As for any other course of action - the simple fact is that no one here is qualified to give her free legal advice. As such I'm pre-emptively locking this because it's not an issue for us amateurs to be dispensing opinions on :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement