Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Espace - Recon engine or not .......

Options
  • 28-10-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Timing belt went on the car last week. Took the car [Renault Espace 2001 automatic] the local mechanic but he would not touch it and recommended taking it Main Renault dealer which we did. They did one hour of diagnostic on the engine but called us to say they needed to do 3 hours more to strip the engine down as the timing belt may hoving only slipped. They called us to say it will be €2500 to €3000 to fix assuming the valves are damaged.I asked to do nothing until we thought about it over the long weekend. When we went to the main Dealers today, it turns out they only have stripped it down to offer up the timing belt and check the compression [which failed]. Based off this, they said they needed to strip the cylinder head to check the extent of damage and it could even mean a new engine! Now we are talking €5,000 to €6,000 to repair if this is worst case. THe car is not worth this on a trade in and that is being able to drive the thing into a forecourt.
    My question are there other options we can consider.
    1] Should I continue with the main dealer?
    2] Should I take the car from him once we know the extent of the damage and get a local garage to replace the engine.I have a cost for a re-con engine from UK [€1800] but I need to find someone in Dublin to pull out the engine and fit the new one.Is there an outlift in Dublin who provide reconditioned engines like in the UK? What risks are associated with doing this?
    Sorry for the long winded note.Appreciate any help or thoughts you can provide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

can you get any quarantee for the second hand engine?

How many miles that second engine has?

Don´t spend 5-6k for fixing that engine, that is just crazy money, and you will never get that back when you sell the car.

You could also think that when engine is out of the car (second hand one) it would be much easier to change the timing belt as well, before engine is installed to the car.

Btw, how much miles you had in the car when timing belt went?

Advertisement