Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie's "posh ham"

• 28-10-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I want to try the parmesan chicken breasts with posh ham that they've been cooking on that Ministry of Food programme, but the only prosciutto I can find is in the cold meats section which implies to me that it's already cooked. Perhaps it's still ok? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would imagine it's fine. What's the recipe, or how is it being used?

By the way, it's probably just cured, not cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Wikipedia is your friend

Prosciutto is the Italian word for ham. In English the word is almost always used for an aged, dry-cured, spiced Italian ham that is usually sliced thin and served without cooking. In Italian, however it's paramount to distinguish between "prosciutto crudo" (raw) and "prosciutto cotto" (cooked - which instead identifies the wet cured ham).

Either is fine by the way. Dry-curing is form of cooking/curing that enables it to be fit for consumption without applying any heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I just want to avoid 'double cooking' it just in case that causes a problem. What sort of problem, I have no idea. The recipe calls for the ham to be laid across the top of a chicken breast and then fried so it crisps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Double cooking" should not be a problem, cured meats are commonly used on pizza. I often refry just normal packs of ham, and other cured meats. Lidl and aldi can have decent cheap german hams, wafer thin. I very much doubt he is using thin raw ham, most probably cured, have you a link?

If using raw stuff they usually but raw bacon over chicken, which is also very nice.

rubadub wrote: »
    I very much doubt he is using thin raw ham, most probably cured, have you a link?
    http://www.jamiesministryoffood.com/content/jo/recipes/parmesan-chicken-breasts-with-crispy-posh-ham be careful, it loads a movie when you load the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Prosciutto isn't "cooked" as we know it. So you won't really be cooking it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosciutto
    In English the word is almost always used for an aged, dry-cured, spiced Italian ham that is usually sliced thin and served without cooking. In Italian, however it's paramount to distinguish between "prosciutto crudo" (raw) and "prosciutto cotto" (cooked - which instead identifies the wet cured ham).

I imagine most is cured and he says you can sub in bacon or parma ham. Don't think it really matters TBH. In general if you are in the supermarket it may say raw or cooked on meats, but if not and it has a long use by date then it is going to be already cooked or cured.

rubadub wrote: »
    If using raw stuff they usually but raw bacon over chicken, which is also very nice.

This is how I've done it in the past, a few rashers wrapped around a chicken fillet and bang in the oven. This whole 'posh ham' and frying for 3 mins is new to me. But if you're saying that the meat I buy whether it's cooked, dry cured or raw it should be no problem to fry it, then I'll go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You're only frying it for 3 mins becuase you've bashed the sh&te out of the chicken and it's as thin as a wafer. Nothing to do with the hang other than getting it crispy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ive cooked that recipie twice now. Its not bad.

Just get some parma ham, parmesan cheese, pepper, lemon zest (very little of this), thyme or rosemary and chicken.

I found that it took longer than 3 minutes (took like 4-5 mins) each side to cook the chicken with 200g portions of chicken breasts so make sure you check that they are fully cooked before serving. Also make sure you put on enough parmesan cheese as it melts to nearly nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I made this recipe with Serrano Ham. Was rather yummy.

If you can't get your hands on 'posh ham', do what my brother did and use some streaky bacon instead!

Finally got round to having this last night. Very tasty but lord, prosciutto is bloomin salty. I think normal bacon would be a bit too thick for the 3 min fry, but not by much, might just stick with that in future. Nice and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

corblimey wrote: »
    Finally got round to having this last night. Very tasty but lord, prosciutto is bloomin salty. I think normal bacon would be a bit too thick for the 3 min fry, but not by much, might just stick with that in future. Nice and quick.

I thought it was really salty too. Don't normally when it's on its own. But I think the parmesan really added to this. I might try it with mozzerella or cheddar.

Advertisement