Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2's vs Vodafone's E71

• 28-10-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

So I've had my vodafone-branded e71 for 3 weeks, and now my missus gave in, and got one too; but the O2 variety.

And I thought with the debate about beanded versus unbranded always on, I thought it'd be interesting to compare 2 branded version. S.o. else may have the 3-version, and add info later.

Both handsets have the logo etched into the casing below the keypad. Both have a network logo screensaver.
    Both have the same apps installed as the generic nokia version, but the o2 version has some extra goodies stored in the phone's memory and ready for you to install: psiloc's wireless presenter, google maps, and yahoo go.

The o2 version had no problem setting up the @Yahoo.ie email account automatically, whereas with vodafone, I had to turn the phone into offline mode, and set up manually.
    The o2 version lacks some standard s60 shortcuts: e.g. hitting and holding the space button doesn't start the web browser. Also, hitting the left softkey to lock the keypad, opens the menu so fast that you can hardly press the fn button fast enough...but no real problem: the phone still locks!
    O2, strangely, felt the need to lock the access points, so you cannot edit them. Strange, as you can obviously add more ap's and even duplicates of o2's preloaded ones... Bit pointless imho!
    Also, by default my voda version was allowing installation of all apps, while in the o2 settings that was disabled.
    The o2 browser weirdly has no link to o2's wap portal... But, hey...

Performance wise, I'd say vodafone's version is a tad faster: apps like opera mini and google mapps load a bit faster, and especially yahoo go 2 is noticeably faster on the vodafone version. Mind you, o2's e71 is still one of the fastest phones I've ever used!

Well, I'll keep comparing whenever I can pry the E from my lady's paws :lol: !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

could try de-branding it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

towel401 wrote: »
    could try de-branding it?

Sure. No big deal. But my philosophy is if it works yada yada... And the last 3 phones I had debranded and updated all had bugs that were worse than the branding ;)
    I believe it really depends what phone you have to begin with, and what the branding's like. Vodafone's F700 firmware e.g. was an outrage and debranding it actually turned it into a decent phone. On the other hand, my old voda e61 was fine for 1 1/2 years. Then I unbranded and updated, and the phone developed plenty of bugs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

still its worth a go. i don't think vodafone brand their handsets that heavily i bought an e61i before and they didn't even remove the IP phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Yeah, unlike voda's uk version, my old e61 had voip as well. My prepay n95 and 95/8 had zero branding. Tytn and treo had voda startup splash, but no other branding, and no simlock, either! F700 was severely crippled by branding, but not sim-locked, either!
    And the e71 is in no way handicapped...not that I can tell yet, anyways! I have used a generic e71 but only for half an hour, and I can't see any probs with voda's firmware! I am slightly baffled by o2's killing standard s60 shortcuts like the spacebar/browser... And the left softkey should have a slight delay to give you time to then press fn if you intend to lock the keypad. Will see what else comes up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i'm using the 3 version, the wallpaper is cool, everything seems to work perfect, had to fine tune a few of the network connection settings but it's flying along since....battery is amazing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

strecker wrote: »
    So I've had my vodafone-branded e71 for 3 weeks, and now my missus gave in, and got one too; but the O2 variety.

And I thought with the debate about beanded versus unbranded always on, I thought it'd be interesting to compare 2 branded version. S.o. else may have the 3-version, and add info later.

Both handsets have the logo etched into the casing below the keypad. Both have a network logo screensaver.
    Both have the same apps installed as the generic nokia version, but the o2 version has some extra goodies stored in the phone's memory and ready for you to install: psiloc's wireless presenter, google maps, and yahoo go.

The o2 version had no problem setting up the @Yahoo.ie email account automatically, whereas with vodafone, I had to turn the phone into offline mode, and set up manually.
    The o2 version lacks some standard s60 shortcuts: e.g. hitting and holding the space button doesn't start the web browser. Also, hitting the left softkey to lock the keypad, opens the menu so fast that you can hardly press the fn button fast enough...but no real problem: the phone still locks!
    O2, strangely, felt the need to lock the access points, so you cannot edit them. Strange, as you can obviously add more ap's and even duplicates of o2's preloaded ones... Bit pointless imho!
    Also, by default my voda version was allowing installation of all apps, while in the o2 settings that was disabled.
    The o2 browser weirdly has no link to o2's wap portal... But, hey...

Performance wise, I'd say vodafone's version is a tad faster: apps like opera mini and google mapps load a bit faster, and especially yahoo go 2 is noticeably faster on the vodafone version. Mind you, o2's e71 is still one of the fastest phones I've ever used!

Well, I'll keep comparing whenever I can pry the E from my lady's paws :lol: !
    Odd. My one has no O2 etching at all, does have the screensaver and the access points, but didnt have all the apps installed. That said the only app I really have to use is mail for exchange.
    Agreed though that its very very fast. I was used to an n95, but this is very fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Spankeh wrote: »
    Odd. My one has no O2 etching at all, does have the screensaver and the access points, but didnt have all the apps installed. That said the only app I really have to use is mail for exchange.
    Agreed though that its very very fast. I was used to an n95, but this is very fast

my 3 one has no etching, the firmware flash feels very lite, if i didn't have the 3 wallpaper you'd be forgiven for thinking it was never branded..I can see very little difference between the sim free version and the 3 branded version...except for the fine tuning for the internet access settings.....

i'm really liking it...

Advertisement