Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyross, Southill & Island redevelopment plan could be in jeopardy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Can't the use the departure tax from shannon to cover it:

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=75907-qqqx=1.asp

Oh...

Ah well, continue voting FF. Things are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

cancan wrote: »
    Ah well, continue voting FF. Things are great!

Do you honestly think things would be better under Fine Gael/Labour? Do you not remember Children's Shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

testicle wrote: »
    Do you honestly think things would be better under Fine Gael/Labour? Do you not remember Children's Shoes?

Richard Bruton would be a far, far better Minister for Finance than Lenihan, but anyhow, would be amazed if funding can be found for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Was the whole 'regeneration' thing just a political sop anyway to Limerick?

I mean if FF meant business, why didn't they just change the laws surrounding eviction of unruly tenants to make life smoother for the council. The council could weed out the trouble causers at minimal cost and the required refurbishment could be carried out when the anti-social element was removed. No need for a glossy Normandy Invasion type campaign for hacks to regurgitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well according to todays chronicle the funding is there from the government and the whole plan has been unveiled.

Check it out, quite an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In all fairness folks is anyone really shocked by this, with the state the country's finances are in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

bazz26 wrote: »
    In all fairness folks is anyone really shocked by this, with the state the country's finances are in at the moment?
    Its after being unveiled, the only thing I can see is that it is now going to be over 10 years instead of 5 and it is not expected to start till 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I think this may may been the councils plan all along. Move all the families out of the estates and "temporarily" re house them around the county while the regeneration took place. Then when the money isn't there to regenerate the areas they can just say "ah well, what a pity, looks like they'll have to stay wreaking havoc in the towns around the county so" and hey presto problem solved for Limerick City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I dont care how long it takes.

This is such a great oppurtunity for the city, and they have to do it right!

Id rather it take 20 years and for it to work rather than a 10 year rushed job that wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

No its not in jeparody. The government are still commited.

Anyone would like to "CALM" down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I think this may may been the councils plan all along. Move all the families out of the estates and "temporarily" re house them around the county while the regeneration took place. Then when the money isn't there to regenerate the areas they can just say "ah well, what a pity, looks like they'll have to stay wreaking havoc in the towns around the county so" and hey presto problem solved for Limerick City Council.
    Yep. they're all over elm park and castletroy. break ins every weekend and my car was robbed and worte off. i'd love to catch a few of the little B**stards and tie them up and just burn them... I think thats the easiest solution for everyone. then we could knock down their houses and make a few indoor football halls and go karting warehouses... haha. Only joking (kinda).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah a lot of troublesome families have been moved into social housing in what were once nice neighbourhoods, but now have become the victim of anti social behaviour, graffiti and wanton vandalism and theft.

Thats mostly the reason most people are moving to live in the countryside, if they can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Let's not forget about the families the Limerick Corporation have reshoused outside Limerick and unloaded their problems unto other County Councils.

They should have really discussed it and gained the understanding and support from the surrounding county councils before buying up houses outside Limerick to rehome the troubled families and didn't have the courtesy to tell the other councils how many private houses they bought and where. It's a nuisance for the people who have had these families offloaded on them as they are not used to crimes been committed in their vicinities.

I do not believe the Limerick Corporation are going to bring back the troubled families they have rehoused when the regeneration project is complete to start over the problem all over again. I firmly believe this scheme is a way of pushing the problem onto other councils and other people.

I have alot of sympathy for TheLoc and others alike as the crime rate may have decreased in the regeneration areas but it is increasing rapidly in the areas these families have been moved to. The only place these people should have bee rehoused to is Limerick Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    The only place these people should have bee rehoused to is Limerick Prison.

Bit harsh, but there should definitely be something done

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I dont care how long it takes.

This is such a great oppurtunity for the city, and they have to do it right!

Id rather it take 20 years and for it to work rather than a 10 year rushed job that wont work.

Exactly why is it such a great opportunity for the city? Why is knocking well built houses on well planned estates a good thing? I lived in Craeval Pk, Moyross for the 1st 4 years of it's existence and the area itself is a good one. There is absolutely no need to knock it. There is however a need to deal with the way quite a number of the residents behave. And that need will remain no matter where those people live.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I dont care less if money never ever gets spent on those areas.

I lived in Southill and dug myself out. People are destroying those areas and have been since those areas were originally developed.

Why should our taxes pay for the regeneration of areas stuffed full of the most undeserved in society.

Weel in fairness. Limerick in general, compared to other towns, is a bit of a whole. It's definetly no harm in improving these suburb areas. The young kids that grow up in depressing areas might be a bit happier to have a park and somewhere to play football and then go home to a nice house. Their parents might also feel the need to look after what's been given to them and improve the quality of life in this run-down town.

The government just need to plan it better. They should have done it bit by bit. move some people until their area is finished, then move them back in and move another part out and so on. At least it would not be as bad because they would be moving in smaller numbers.

TheLoc wrote: »
    Weel in fairness. Limerick in general, compared to other towns, is a bit of a whole. It's definetly no harm in improving these suburb areas. The young kids that grow up in depressing areas might be a bit happier to have a park and somewhere to play football and then go home to a nice house. Their parents might also feel the need to look after what's been given to them and improve the quality of life in this run-down town.

But many of these areas have these things. I lived in Moyross from 1982-1986. They are nice houses, on well planned streets. They have plenty of green areas, and amenities. So the kids can go play football and go home to nice houses, that is what the area is like. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that Corpus Christi was by far and away one of the best primaries in Limerick. Southill is less aesthetically pleasing, granted. But the houses are still decent and there are greens all over the area. Just look on google earth to see how green it is.

The problems are caused by some of the residents, not the area. Knocking it down and building something very possibly inferior and sticking the same people back in is just a massive waste of money.

This country is in recession and is likely to be headed for depression. These initiatives are a shameful, shameful waste of money by a country that has decided it can't afford a HPV vaccination for it's young women.

iguana wrote: »
    But many of these areas have these things. I lived in Moyross from 1982-1986. They are nice houses, on well planned streets. They have plenty of green areas, and amenities. So the kids can go play football and go home to nice houses, that is what the area is like. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that Corpus Christi was by far and away one of the best primaries in Limerick. Southill is less aesthetically pleasing, granted. But the houses are still decent and there are greens all over the area. Just look on google earth to see how green it is.

The problems are caused by some of the residents, not the area. Knocking it down and building something very possibly inferior and sticking the same people back in is just a massive waste of money.

This country is in recession and is likely to be headed for depression. These initiatives are a shameful, shameful waste of money by a country that has decided it can't afford a HPV vaccination for it's young women.
    This is all true. It is a bit of a waste. I agree.
    The only thing I don't agree with is that you said these houses are good. They're really not. I mean no affence. I went to school in Nessans and most of my friends there were from Moyross and chaherdavin. Them houses behind the school are a disaster and are barely fit for animals. you could lean up against the wall in the living room and feel like the wall is going to give at anytime.
    I agree that it is because of individuals. it might help though. and if it did, the town would be so much better. I think it's more of a disgrace that the gov spent 4.6 million on travellers. THATS even MORE OF A JOKE.
    I hope the regen plan does work though. even if it does seem far fetched.

TheLoc wrote: »
    I went to school in Nessans and most of my friends there were from Moyross and chaherdavin. Them houses behind the school are a disaster and are barely fit for animals. you could lean up against the wall in the living room and feel like the wall is going to give at anytime.

No they aren't, there may be some that need work, but the houses are all structurally sound and those built in the 80's were built with cavity walls. No offense but visiting them as a teenager hardly qualifies you as a structural surveyor. I may have been a child when I lived there, but my parent's weren't. Nor were any of my relatives who lived there or in other similar places, many of whom worked in the building trade.

The build quality of those houses are the same as those on private estates built in the same era.

• Advertisement
Advertisement