Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price of a 2nd-hand Ford Fiesta '97?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

This is my first post in here, so be gentle.

I recently, through a berevement, came into possession of a '97, 4-door, Ford Fiesta. It has only got c40,000 on the clock, and is in great condition (only two previous owners, both older ladies).

How much could I expect it to sell for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres one in a dealer in Cavan for €650 on Carzone - as well as ones running to €1800. Any idea what kind of spec level it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If spec level means what I think it means...then 1300

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats the engine size. Spec is like "LX" or "GLX".

A 1300LX with more miles here for 950: http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/Ford/Fiesta/1.3I-LX/200840190268541/advert but no NCT.

If it has a long NCT its worth more than a car with none/short obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

If spec level means what I think it means...then 1300

Spec level doesnt mean what you think it means :)

By 1300 I presume you mean its a 1.3L. Spec level refers to the specification (i.e. amount of goodies) such as ghia, lx....etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'll have to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The 1.3L pushrod engine model is usually in the bottom of the range Fiesta's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Model trim level should be labelled on the boot, ie LX, Zetec, etc.

If it has the old 1.3 litre engine then most likely it is a basic LX model. A 97 Fiesta would be worth around €1000 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    Model trim level should be labelled on the boot, ie LX, Zetec, etc.
    Zetec wasn't a trim level back then. LX isn't the base model either - the Encore was. The Encore badge is only on the wings (above the indicator repeaters), not the boot. LX has better front seats, split/fold rear seats, body coloured bumpers (that may have only been introduced in late '97/early '98 though) and a better stereo. Sunroof and power steering was optional on both, though I've never seen one without power steering (maybe it became standard at some point?).

The 1.3 engines do not take neglect very well, so even the low milage won't have done much good if it was rarely/never serviced.

If the suspension is noisy (squeaking or knocking going over bumps), some of the rubber bushings probably need replacing along with possibly a few other things - could cost €300+ to sort all that out depending on how much needs to be done, but some of them are NCT failures and it will drive a lot better afterwards. If all that stuff is OK I'd say it will be worth at least a grand.

Advertisement