Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hills

Options
  • 28-10-2008 2:58pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been trying to increase my fitness and attempt to get better at running over the last year, and nows the time to keep a record of it. Im finally getting somewhere (I think) and I hope this will stop me losing momentum. Especially with Christmas looming. My goal is a marathon, but I keep saying 'someday' instead of picking an event and saying 'then'. So here Im putting my progress on record dammit, so I cant keep backtracking.

Currently:

F, 37(ouch) 5'6" 126lbs.

Been running 10k in approx 1 hour. I run alone.

Did first event yesterday, did a 50min 10k. (I had someone to chase after).

tbc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck with it Oryx,
    37's a great age (if you ask this 37 year old),
    that's a pretty good 10k time,
    look forward to seeing your progress

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cheers for that, showry. Doing an event was good, cos up to now I had nothing to gauge myself against. But back to the lonliness of solo hill running for the next few weeks.:) Hopefully this log will make me progress rather than keep doing the same old stuff at the same old pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck oryx the only advice i can give you is enter a marathon just pick one and enter it, cork is open now and would be good to aim for as its not till june which gives you plenty of time , i think by entering and commiting to it it gives you an incentive to train and a goal to aim for.
    whatever you decide to do bestr of luck with it

Yesterday:

17mins bike (warm up) resist 4
    30mins xtrainer resist 5
    15 mins bike resist 4

I dont know what to call most of these, so....

Core exercises. 2x sets
    Dumbells, arm exercises 3 sets x20
    Lunges 1 x 20
    Press ups (kneeling) 2x 10
    Sit ups, 3 sets of 4 types, count of 20, or 40 depending on type.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    best of luck oryx the only advice i can give you is enter a marathon just pick one and enter it, cork is open now and would be good to aim for as its not till june which gives you plenty of time , i think by entering and commiting to it it gives you an incentive to train and a goal to aim for.
    whatever you decide to do bestr of luck with it
    Im nursing a mild hamstring injury since August, which Im trying not to aggravate, but being cautious is holding me back.

• Advertisement

Yesterday.

8k on treadmill, easy pace. 52 mins.

Kneeling pressups 3 x10
    Situps 3 x sets
    Each set 3x20 reps, 1x50reps assrtd.

Last night:

20k on static bike. Resist 4/5. 58 mins.

Core exercises.
    Kneeling pressups, one set, till couldnt complete more.

Signed up for tough guy today. Feel insane.

Yesterday just did some sit ups and a few sets of full pressups. Yahoo.

This morning, got out early for a very hilly road run. (gorgeous day) Did about 8k, never clocked it in the car so Im not sure, but it took 47 mins.

Sunday, couldnt do much as I was knackered. Up all night Saturday in Blarney.

So did 10k on static bike (resist 4) and some core work and a few sets of pressups.

Monday.
    Got out for a 10k run, hilly as usual, but felt better on the hills than I have done before. Took 57mins. Wasnt fit to die when I got back which is a good sign. Did 10k (resist 4) static bike after just to spin out my legs and cool down.

In the evening did some situps, core work and pressups.

Right, last night I did

5k on treadmill, 30mins. Started slow and racked up the speed to 10.9kph. Trying to increase speed, but got to watch the injury.

Did half hour on the crosstrainer, then 20 mins on the static bike.

Just a bit of stretching, nothing else. Saving all the weight stuff for tonight. Oh joy. :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Did a 10min warm up on bike. Then 15 mins interval on the crosstrainer. 30 seconds hell for leather, 20 seconds recovery. Sounds easypeasy but I was jelly legged and sweating afterwards. 5 min cool down and stretching.

Then did 3 sets of:
    Lunges x20
    Bicep curls (?) with 2.3kg weights x20
    Pressups x10
    1x 30 second plank
    Drop down chair push ups (?) x12
    Full set of core exercises (Press up position, raise each arm and foot in turn then opposite arm/leg together)
    Basic sit up x20
    Crunches x20
    Side to side sit ups (legs raised) x40

If anyone reading here can understand the above, a critique would be welcome. :)

Thursday, started a run, but didnt feel right and quit after a few minutes.

Friday, back on form, did 8k run on treadmill, took 49mins. I think I tend not to push it on the treadmill. Dunno why.

Then did 3x sets of:
    10 full pressups.
    20 basic situps
    30 crunches
    40 side to side.

Saturday:
    Kinda a rest day. 30 mins on static bike.

Sunday:
    Early morning hilly run, 10k 56mins. Added an extra 10 mins to it, so 1.05 in total. Then 35mins on the static bike. Stretching.

Monday:
    Was tired today. Rested for the early part of the day. Went to a circuit class for the first time in the evening. Was evil.:) Moving muscles that havent moved in ages. I only thought I was getting fit!!

Got advice from the trainer on whats needed for tough guy. Pretty much turns my training on its head. From now I need to focus on strength rather than cardio. Which means hills, hard sprints, rowing, squats, weights and chinups. Looooooovely.:D

Tuesday:
    Was meant to do 2000m on a rower asap, but unfortunately my rower gives a distance measurement but it doesnt seem to be metres. Anyway, I did 2 of whatever the distance is, going hard at it, in 6.44mins and I was knackd.

Then did 10k on the bike at resist 5, adjusting the pace, going hard as I could, then resting pace. Really pushing it so my legs ached and I was hurting.

Then situps, core, and 3 x10 pressups. And the pressups are getting easier... so that means I need to do more.... The plank is no longer complete agony either, so Im extending the time I do, 45secs at the mo. Will try 60 next time.

Wednesday:
    Rest day.

Thursday:
    Did 30mins sprints on treadmill. 1 min at 10kph, 1 min at 12.6kph. Did 5.6k. Was knackered, which shows I really need this kind of work. Am really realising where I lack strength.

10 mins on rower. Resist 4
    20 mins on static bike Resist 5

Worked hard enough to leave me jelly legged. :)

Then did 3x 12 pressups, 3x 45sec plank, 2x sets of 80 asstd crunches. By then it was 11pm and I was tired!

Friday:
    Friday night is weights night..... Although small scale cos Ive no equipment. Did an assortment of lunges (with the two heaviest weights I have, total 9kg.) squats, a very strange thing that involves getting from a lying to a standing position with a weight extended skywards.:) Pressups, plank (45 sec and 60 sec) crunches, bicep curls. Pretty much anything I could think of. 3 sets altogether, except 4 x 12 pressups. They are the most effective thing I can do right now for my arms while I have no chin bar or heavy weights.

Saturday:
    Rest. Been struggling with a fluey cold, dont feel 100%.

Sunday:
    Decided to sweat out whatever is wrong with me. Couldnt get out, on my own with kids, so 32mins on treadmill. 10.5kph. 30 mins on static bike, resist 5, 10k. 10 mins on rower resist 4. 2x12 pressups. Was sweating buckets and shattered, but felt better for the rest of the day.

Monday:
    5k treadmill run in the afternoon (no sitter again, so had to stay in). Circuits in the evening. 1.25hrs, tough class! Lots of weights and squats.. my thighs were burning.:p

Feel completely shagged today, a combination of this bug and sore muscles from yesterday. So today will probably be a rest day.:)

Tuesday:
    As predicted, took a rest day. Felt very lazy doing so. :)

Wednesday:
    10mins on rower, resistance 4. Finding this machine very hard going. I love to hate it. But that means its good for me.
    Then 30mins on bike. This virus still making me sweat and lack power.
    3x sets of pressups x12, crunches, asstd. x20 x40 x20. plank, 45secs.

Thursday:
    Difficult day today. Mentally draining. So not the best form for training, and still got the bug. Forced my way through a horrible, sweaty and exhausted 5k. Did not feel good, but finished it cos Im bloody minded. Was sweating so bad it was dripping behind my ears. :) Please god Ill get back on form soon, cos this lack of energy is soul-destroying.

Have just collected my new toy. A 20kg kettle bell. Im told its the best piece of equipment I can have for the type of strength I want. So watch this space...

Friday:
    Got to grips with my new toy last night. Jeez but its heavy. Even bringing it upstairs was hard. Did for a moment consider that as a training exercise... but Ive already fallen down em once. Falling with a 20kg weight in my arms would be suicide. :)

5 min warm up on bike.

Did 4 sets of:
    6 squats (couldnt do more, knees are too weak).
    10 swinging forwards to shoulder height, dont know what its called.
    10 deadlifts.
    10 lunges with 4.5kg dumbells. (not a hope right now of doing with the heavier weight, plus dont know how to do it - How to hold.)
    20 slow bicep curls with the dumbells.

10 min HIIT on bike.

Then did 2 sets of:
    Sit ups x20
    Crunches x20
    Side to side crunches x40

My quads and shoulders ache today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Oryx wrote:
    Got to grips with my new toy last night. Jeez but its heavy. Even bringing it upstairs was hard.

Did you get some kind of weights or fitness equipment?
    Oryx wrote:
    10 swinging forwards to shoulder height, dont known what its called.

Do you mean front dumbbell raises? If so, avoid them. They are know to wreck shoulders.

Instead try barbell shoulder press to work the deltoids. You can do them straight up for the lateral deltoids, and at a bit of an incline for the front deltoids.

BossArky wrote: »
    Did you get some kind of weights or fitness equipment?
    As mentioned in the title and the previous post, its a 20kg kettle bell. Was meant to be 16kg, but that didnt arrive. Im doing exercises as shown by a coach, but will take any advice going! Will check those links, ty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok - didn't see the title or the post before. Good luck with it

BossArky wrote: »
    Ok - didn't see the title or the post before. Good luck with it
    Cheers.:)

This is what Im doing, btw.

Saturday:
    Rest. I hate rest days. Feel like a blimp.:)

Sunday:
    10k run. Usual route. 57mins. Sprinted in intervals up the longest hill. It was killer. Had a weird stitch most of the way around too, but wasnt too bad so didnt quit.
    Then 10k on static bike when I came back.

Monday:
    That stitch has left me with an ache in my abdomen, I must have twanged something. Anyway. Did circuits tonight, theyre getting easier, or at least Im getting used to them. Still hard, but a great laugh.

Just found out about, and entered, the half marathon in Wexford, in April 2009. So another goal after tough guy. And Im hoping to do a full Marathon later in the year if that goes well. Maybe Cork in June, if not Dublin in October.

Tuesday:
    Did 8k on treadmill. Was a bit stop start cos of the kids playing up. But net time as per the readout was 48mins. Then did 2x 12 pressups, and 2x 90 assorted situps/crunches. Tiredness won out after that, it was going for eleven! Must get started earlier.....:)

Wednesday:
    Did 10min warm up on bike, then started rower, got a few mins in and felt knackered. So quit. Am learning that I really do need rest nights. Did a few sets of situps and went to bed.:)

Thursday:
    8k on treadmill. 48mins. Then 2.5k on rower. 10mins. Was bloody hard. Im beginning to wonder if its me, or does this training lark NEVER stop hurting??
    Did 4 x12 pressups (last set was 14 to make it an even 50 :))
    Also 3 x 90 asstd situps/crunches. The usual!

Edit: I keep getting cramping intercostal (rib) muscles when I stretch after training. It drives me mad. If anyone can suggest a fix, Id be grateful!

Friday:
    Didnt do too much. Was too interested in the Late Late Toy Show. :) So did 10 mins warm up on bike, and then 3 sets of:
    Lunges using two 4.5 kg weights. x20
    Double kettle bell swings, 20kg, x10
    Kettle bell squats x6 (these kill me)
    Deadlifts (again with kettlebell) x10

Saturday:
    Got out this morning for a run. Did 45mins. Not sure of distance, but my short run. It was frosty and cold and I loved it. Everything covered in frost and the sun shining. Does your heart good. :)

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Got out in the frost again, did 10k, usual route. 56mins. The time is not coming down much, but the run itself felt easier, more relaxed, so thats something. Did 35mins on the static bike afterwards.

Monday:
    Didnt venture out in the ice today, I was tired anyway, but it looked a bit too slippy to be running around. Did circuits in the evening. Yet again I realise how much my upper body strength is lacking. And only 8 weeks to go. Ouch.

Advertisement