Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hills

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tuesday:
    Went easy on myself. Did 5k run on treadmill. Just under 30 mins. Then just one set of sit ups. (about 100 in total).

My stats over the last month havent changed much. My weight, which fluctuates anyway, is now at 123lbs. Otherwise:

Waist 26"
    Hips 36"
    Thigh 20.5"
    Upper arm 10" (puny)
    Wrist 6"

Wednesday:
    No cardio tonight. Just did 5 sets of sit ups, pressups and crunches. Altogether it meant 60 pressups, 500 crunches, 5 planks, small amount of other core work. Also did some arm weights. Dont have a chin up bar, but can do drop downs using the stair bannister. It aint pretty, but it works. :) Also tried a wall sit thingumy I saw described in a post here yesterday. Such a simple exercise, but my god, it hurt!

Back to cardio tonight, all going well.

Thursday:
    Was going for ten o clock last night before I got on the treadmill. The joys of motherhood... But did a half hour anyway, 5k. Reckon it has to do me some good. Better than sitting on my bum.

I have some really painful doms in my upper arms today. Those weights the other night must have been effective.:)

Friday:
    Rest.

Saturday:
    Out at 8am for a 45min run. Nice and chilly but slippy as hell underfoot. Felt good, no real pain, even on the hills. Im getting there!!

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Went out with a friend who is new to running. His first time out. We did my short route in a mix of running and walking. Its somewhere under 8k, it took an hour.

Went out again after he went back, and did the route again, as the first time out hadnt stretched me at all. I hadnt broken a sweat. Did it in 43mins. Best time Ive done, I think cos I was warmed up and into it.

Monday:
    Did circuits this evening. It went well, but its getting that its not hard enough.:)

Tuesday:
    Slightly lazy today. Spent the day on my knees painting so my back ached, probably from the circuits last night too. Did 5k on treadmill, 30 mins. Then just a few crunches and pressups.

Wednesday:
    Tried, and failed, to do 2km in 10 mins. (Saw it mentioned here). The pace was too high, so I think Ill concentrate on that from now on, when using the treadmill. Did 12.5 mins at a high pace anyway as a warm up. 2.5km. I know that sounds like I did it, but I had stopped...

Then did 7.5 mins on the rower, 2km. (which isnt calibrated properly)

Then on to weights. Did 4 sets of:

Lunges (2x 4.5kg weights) x20
    Dumbell raises x20
    Deadlifts with 20kg kettlebell x10
    Double kettlebell swings x10
    Squats with kettlebell x10 (which I could only do 6 of before)
    45 second plank
    pressups x13
    Assorted crunches x100

Thursday:
    Running tonight. Am determined to improve my pace, so did 5k at 11.1kph, which is faster than I have been doing (10.5). It took just under 27 mins. Took a few mins break, then did 2k at 12.4kph. Had to take 3 30 second stops to get my breath, but otherwise did it. Now I just need to get rid of those breaks. My immediate aim is a sub 24 min 5k on the treadmill. And then see how I get on at a faster, longer distance. My speed is ok outdoors, but the tm kills me for some reason. Youd think itd be the opposite.

Friday:
    Rest

Saturday:
    Early morning run. Short run, 42 mins. Another min gone off the time, happy days.

Am really getting to love getting out early and doing this.

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    10k run. Usual route. 53 mins. Getting quicker, was conciously trying to push it, but didnt gain much. Tis a slow old process. Did 20mins static bike to cool down.

Monday:
    Circuit class. Was an easy class, cos it was more of a Christmas party. Only three circuits done instead of four. And then we were treated to mince pies and mulled wine. Ha, not exactly the usual pain.

Tuesday:
    Spent all day doing diy. I ache. :) Did 5k on treadmill, but didnt set any records. Im tired, really not used to this physical work!

Wednesday:
    Rest
    (Well, strictly speaking not. Have been sanding and varnishing floors. Its heavy work and Im not used to it. Im hoping it will have some kind of Karate Kid (wax on, wax off) training effect cos its wrecking my schedule :))

Thursday:
    Did 3 sets with weights and kbell. Plus pressups x12 each set and plank. No cardio though, cos was late starting. More bloody diy today.

Saturday:
    Got out for my short run 43mins. Was a bit warm today, Im used to frost!

Hopefully back on track from now on.

Have entered a 10k race in February.

Sunday:
    Did my 10k run, but was horribly slow. 58 mins. Had the wind in my face a lot, but I think I just wasnt at my best.:) But did it, and then went an extra 10mins just to push it a bit. Then did 32mins on static bike.

Monday:
    Busy with all the xmas stuff, so only did a few kettlebell weights and pressups. 2 sets, just to say I did something.

According to mapmyrun, my 'long' run, is actually 10.7k, and my 'short' run is 7.8k. So I think that means Im doing better than I thought. Not by much, but every little counts.:)

Christmas eve: did 9.8k run, 48 mins.

St stephens day. Same 9.8k run, same time, 48 mins. Did an extra 2k, including a hard offroad uphill run.

Saturday: did 3 sets of 12 pressups, 10 situps, 12 kettlebell swings, 10 squats, 10 deadlifts, 20 bicep curls, 20 lunges and 4 drop downs

Today: went for a run, 10k. 5k through forestry, then 5k back along a beach. But did the return leg barefoot on the shoreline. Man, it was cold. good endurance trainin tho. Got some funny looks mind you. Paddling at 9am on a frosty mornin. :)

Tuesday: Did long run. Somewhere over 12k. Started badly, was tense and kept getting a stitch. Was ok once i relaxed into it, but pretty slow at 70 mins. I was ploddin rather than pushin, not even breathless at the end. I put it down to not havin the right head on :) . But hell. Thats a target to keep improving on.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 10 min warm up on bike, then just did weights today. 3 sets of kettlebell swings, deadlifts and squats. Then Dropdowns, lunges, bicep curls, situps, and stand up/ lie down with weight.

Friday: did the long run. But was hellish slow, 57 mins. I just dunno. No improvement at all lately. Did 30 mins on bike afterward. Least its done, hopefully improvements will show again soon :)

Friday: did the long run. But was hellish slow, 57 mins. I just dunno. No improvement at all lately. Did 30 mins on bike afterward. Least its done, hopefully improvements will show again soon :)

Did the short run today. 41 mins. Also did some pressups and situps. Might do a bit more weight stuff later.

Sunday: intended just goin out on the short route. Was in foul humour, not right for runnin :) but on the way back started feelin better, continued on and really got into it, ended up doin about 15k. Took 75 mins. Whoever said its addictive is right.. :)

Busy day. Just managed weights this evening. Did 3 sets of: bicep curls x 20, lunges x 20, plank, kettlebell swings x 12, kb deadlifts x 11, kb squats x 11, dropdowns x 4. And 4 sets of 12 pressups.

Some mates called over last night, we had a girlie weightlifting/cardio night. Makes a change from drinkin, anyway.:p
    So did a very loose session, as in I wasnt really counting sets. But put up a chinbar, and had a pathetic go on that. 3 chinups was my limit in any one set, and one (one!!) pullup. Loooong way to go.

Today, Wednesday:
    Got out and did my long run. 54 mins. Tried the chin bar again, could do four, ha.

Did my short run today. 40mins. Another minute gone, but boy, I was feeling it on the last hill. It amazes me how much effort it takes to gain such a small bit of time.

Bought a new pair of running shoes and for the first time ever got a proper consult. Seems the ones Ive been using arent right for me at all! I never knew there was such a science to it, but it will be interesting to see how these new ones work for me. (thanks John at mysport.ie for all your help)

Friday:
    Weights. Did four sets of:
    Chin ups x5
    Kettlebell dls x12
    Kb swings x14
    Kb squats x12
    Lunges x20
    Bicep curls x20
    Pressups x12
    Plank x45 seconds
    Sit ups x60

Did an extra 22 pressups to bring the total to 70.

• Advertisement

Today, Saturday.

Did a new route, up the hill above my house. Its 1km up, with a 70m elevation, on a rough cross country track. Up and back twice, then halfway up once cos I was done in.
    It was a shock to the system how hard it was with that kind of elevation. Took just under a half hour in total. Will try it again in a day or two, and will complete 3 or 3 and a half.

Advertisement