Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hills

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Friday: another early run. 9.8k. 50 mins. Didnt feel at all good tho.

Rested Saturday, cos yet again, somethings up with me. Have a gastric bug.

Sunday:
    I know, its mad to even try when youre not 100% but I wanted to see how my legs were after being sick yesterday. Did a combination of run/walk, cos I just wasnt able. Short run. Took ages.

Monday:
    Just did a long walk early in the day, then circuits in the evening. Was a good session, I felt grand. Sets of 17/15/12/12 pressups included.

Tuesday:
    Girlie weights, with all the usual stuff, plus I did 20min run on treadmill beforehand, while I was waiting for the others to arrive.

Wednesday:
    Almost a rest day. :) Just two sets of kb swings x12, squats x10, deadlifts x10 (cant wait till I get a heavier weight, what I have is far too light, will need at least 40-50kgs now to make it matter). Press ups x10, crunches x80, chins x8, lunges x20, bicep curls x20

Thursday:
    Long run. 10.75k. 53 mins. Felt nice. My legs are back. :p

Rest day Friday.

Saturday:
    Out for my short run. 41mins Grrrr. Cant seem to improve on it!
    Tried a bit of fartlek on the way back, Im going to have to do a lot more fast sprinting from now on, to get my speed up.

Sunday:
    Got out for a long run. Not sure of distance, but man, I felt it. Musta been 15k +. Took just over 1h 20mins. Did 15mins spin out on static bike.

Monday:
    Circuits. Nice tough class. Lots of arm work, and squats and lunges. Nice work, ollie!!

Tuesday:
    Girlie weight night. Did 10mins hiit on static bike. Quads were burning.
    Five mins on rower to warm up my arms, then pressups, kb work, and chins. Wayhey, managed a set of 10. Finally. Two other sets of eight, but still, least am seeing improvement.

Wednesday:
    Really stuck for time this morning so short 20min run on treadmill, 10.6kph, 1.5 incline.

• Advertisement

Gosh darn it, I been sick again.:rolleyes: This is getting annoying.

No training from last Weds till Sunday.

Sunday:
    Short 7.8k run. 42 mins. Took it easy.

Monday:
    Circuits. Felt tired going in, and great coming out. You gotta love that.

Coughing up half a lung today, so will leave a run till tomorrow.

Wednesday:
    Short run. 40mins. Felt grand.

Today, Thursday, I was sleepy, Im still waking myself up bloody coughing. So no morning run.:) Hope to train later.

Thursday:
    Did 15mins Hiit on crosstrainer. 20 seconds low, 30 seconds high.

Then did 3 sets of:
    chins: Set of 9, with a pause, then a set of 6 or 5. Pause, then 3 pull ups.
    kb squats x12
    kb deadlifts x20
    kb swings x12
    crunches and pelvic tilts. 90 total
    pushups kneeling x30 (tried kneeling cos of something I read here, was surprisingly hard on the arms)

Friday:
    Did a run on the treadmill. 30mins. 10.5kph, 1.5 incline. I find the tm sooo hard compared to running outdoors now. Completely hate it.
    Did 10mins on bike just to loosen up my calves. They tend to get stiff running on the tm for some reason.

Saturday is a rest day, cos Im doing the great run tomorrow, and after being sick my energy is not the best right now. So will save it. :)

Sunday:
    Did the great run in phoenix park. Twas a bit crazy trying to get ten thousand people standing cheek by jowl to do star jumps as a warm up. :) But good atmosphere. Did a 48.02, which Im not entirely happy with. Wanted to go faster, but it was a bit hard to find a pace, cos it was so crowded all the way around, you were constantly dodging to pass people.

Onwards, to the half marathon in two weeks. Yikes!!

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Did 3 sets of weight based stuff. Kb swings x12, kb deadlifts x12 kb squats x10, chins 9 then 5 per set, pressups, either 30 kneeling or 14 full. Sit ups x60, then this thing where you go from squat position, to pressup position back to squat, up to star jump. No idea what its called but did 10 per set. Gets your heartrate up.

Wednesday:
    9.75k run. Hilly. 50 mins. Slow. Dammit. My times arent improving at all and its a headwreck. Will have to join a club to get some motivation.

Thursday:

3.3 mile run, including a steep hill that will be part of the run in two weeks. 32.42 mins.

312k since Jan 1st.

Friday:
    Same run as yesterday, but slightly shortened at the end, cos I hadnt time. 4k roughly, (2.7miles) 23 mins. That hill is short, but steep. Kills my quads. :)

Saturday:
    My usual short route. 7.8k 40.42mins. Not the fastest ever, but felt like I was getting back to where I was before. Alternating with very short runs seems to suit.

Sunday:
    10.75k. Wasnt worrying about pace, just going out to enjoy it, and I did. Time was abysmal, but that wasnt what it was for.

Monday:
    Absolutely piddling down with rain. Did 6k, again, nice and easy. 30 mins or so. Running in the rain is quite nice once you warm up. :)

Tuesday:
    Girlie weight night, and boy were we girlie. Am taking it easy, so it was a half hearted effort. 10mins on bike, same on rower, few pull ups and pressups. Am avoiding squats etc as they really tire my legs. Dont know if its right or wrong thing to do... but dont want to burn out right before the half marathon.

Wednesday:
    Short run, easy pace. 6k, 34 mins. The combination of running, fog and beat fm was almost hypnotic. :p

Thursday I took as a rest day. Was tired all day

Friday:
    Out this morning in the rain. Did 7.8k easy. Bit dissappointed with time, 43mins. But hey, save it for Sunday.

Sunday:

Half-marathon day....

Did it in 1.45.05, which Im delighted with, cos it was quicker than I expected, and didnt make me suffer at all, really, even on the hills. Hit no wall, and did every km almost bang on 5 minutes, which meant my pace was spot on. Didnt wind it up too much in case I blew out, didnt know whether to or not, having never done that distance before.

Hey, Im halfway to the ambition I set this log up for. Happy days.:D

Tuesday:
    Light girlie session. 10mins on bike, same on rower. Couple of sets of chins and pressups, stretching.

Body crashed on Wednesday. Exhaustion and flu like symptoms. No training.

Thursday:
    Light run 5k on treadmill. 29mins. Did not feel good and sweat buckets. But had to give it a go to see how my energy was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Congrats on teh 1/2 marathon - that's a really good time!

Congrats on teh 1/2 marathon - that's a really good time!
    Cheers. :) Its made me consider Dublin in October. Was gonna put a full one off till next year, but wondering now if I should just go for it.

• Advertisement

Took another rest day on Friday, even though it made me twitch.

Saturday:
    5k treadmill run. 28.12 minutes. Still felt hard, though if I did it outdoors it might have felt easier. The run I did on Thurs was harder cos I realised the incline was set at 3.5 instead of the usual 1.5. :)

Hopefully will get out and do a nice longer run tomorrow. Fingers xd.

Sunday:
    10.75k easy pace. Not by choice.:) 56mins ffs. Terrible! But am working my way back into it. 20mins on bike afterwards.

Monday:
    Circuit class. Pretty easy, lots of cardio. Its a new 'term' so I think hes allowing noobs to get used to it.

Tuesday:
    Not-so-girlie weight night. Just two of us, so we did a jogging hillclimb 1k up the (very steep) offroad hill here. 20mins up and back. Nice.

Then the usual mix of rower (15mins) pushups, chins, situps, and a few other odd things thrown in for good measure.

I plan to buy weights as recommended by rubadub soon. :)

Thursday:
    Got out for a shortish run. 3.5 miles. As usual made sure to insert hills. :)

Friday:
    Did 3 sets of:
    Lunges x20
    Bicep curls x20 (no idea why I bother... )
    Kb swings x12
    Kb deadlifts x12
    Kb squats x10
    Pressups x12
    Situps x60
    Chins x8
    Getup lie down combo with windmill x2

Saturday:
    Treadmill run cos was tied to house. 6.5k. 36 mins.

Sunday: did a long run. Somewhere between 10 and eleven miles, havent clocked it. Took hour and a half. Then did 15mins on exercise bike cos my calves were stiff. Monday: shorter run today. 5 miles. 42mins. Legs felt it on the steeper hills, but am findin my breathin has changed. I dont get out of breath anymore, unless i really sprint. I realise fartlek is needed but i hate the thought :)

Tuesday: Girlie Weight Night. *does girlie dance*
    11 mins on bike, 8 on rower. 3 sets of 8 chins, 2 sets 12 pushups, kb squats, swings, deadlifts, lunges with lighter weights, windmills. And generally faffing about. Still, broke a sweat. :)

Wednesday was another rest day.

Thursday:
    40minute run. Did a few minutes hard sprint coming to the end of it. Reckon it was somewhere around 4.5 miles, which would make it slow, but it was hellish windy. Just checked... according to mapmyrun its 4.8miles!

Friday:
    Did a steep xc hill run. 2.5k in total. 15mins.
    Then did 2x weight sets (the usual)

Saturday:
    6k road run. slow 34 mins. :(

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Did 9.75k run, hilly as usual. Pretty slow circa 50 mins. Knew I wasnt killin it, so didnt even check the time correctly. Was ill halfway around, I drank water before I went out which was probably the cause.

Monday am:
    One to one weight training. Did it to learn proper technique in some weights before I buy a set, I want to know what to do, and how heavy, before I lash out money on a set. Did chin ups with full extensions, benchpress, clean and press(?) and some other things I have no name for. :) Did 45 rapid deadlifts with 20kg to set a baseline to improve from, and benchpress was 35kg which is probably pathetic.

Monday pm:
    Circuit class. Was very tough, cos my legs were still weak from the morning session. Lots of pushups and squats, I thought I was going to calf.

For the record, today, Tuesday, I have doms so bad it aches when I write.:p

Advertisement