Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hills

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tuesday:
    VERY light session with the girls. Did 15mins xtrainer, 10mins bike, some active stretching, and some negative chin ups to full extension. I still ache.

Wednesday:
    Got out in the evening, did 3.65 miles. 30 mins. Felt bloody awful. :D But getting thru the bad days is what its about, they tell me.

Bought some new shoes today. Brooks Ghost. Lookin forward to trying them out. :)

Friday:
    I was already up and out for a run this morning before half seven. HALF BLOODY SEVEN. I never ever thought Id get this dedicated to running. Let that be a warning to anyone hoping to take it up :D

Anyway, did a short easy one, about 6k`*, 32mins. Nothing more to do now till Sunday, which Im nervous about.

6.42 to be precise :)

Sunday:
    Did the John Treacy run in Villierstown. Did a 1.17.49 which was fast for me. But there were loads of really good runners. Twas intimidating. :)

Monday:
    Circuit class. Really hard, my legs were obviously still tired from yesterday.

Tuesday:
    Girlie night. Did rower, negative chins, dealifts and swings, pushups and crunches. Never quite get into my stride on these sessions, but kinda treat it as an active rest night.

Wednesday, I still ache so today is an in-active rest day.:)

Thursday:
    Planned to get up early and get out for a run, but forgot my hubby would be heading out early too. So was wide awake at half six with nowhere to go... so did yazzo 800s (as per the dcm mentored thread over in Athletics) on the treadmill as I had an hour to kill. I always find the tm harder than the road, but its probably all in my head. Did the runs all around the four minute mark, which is easy to plan on a tm. Took walk breaks of between 30-90 seconds between each run. Funny thing is, they felt easier rather than harder coming to the end.

• Advertisement

Friday:
    Got out and did 5.85 km. Legs were heavy, but kept going and finished in around the usual time, 30mins.

Saturday:
    Out early as usual, in spite of being tired and wanting to stay in the leaba. Did 6.42km. Just an easy plod, with my heavy legs. Am planning a longer run tomorrow, so no point in going mad today.

Im doing pushups and situps each night, started at one set of pushups (20) and each night I add one more to the set. I want to see how many I can get to. :)

Sunday:
    Got out for a 10.75k run. Dont know my time really, stopped to tie shoelaces, answer my phone etc, so the time was wrecked. About 55 I reckon in total.

Monday:
    Circuit class. Really hard, as the classes are done in waves now, hard, harder, hardest, easy... this was the hardest. Still, managed ok, even the one-legged pushups. :)

Wednedsday:

Did my 9.75k run. 47mins which I think is as fast as Ive ever run it. Did feel it, was pooped by the end, but am pleased I managed a fast run again.

Thursday:

Lazy-ish day. Was pooped and maybe dehydrated. Did a slow and easygoing set of bodyweight stuff, chins, pushups, getups, plus a few kb swings and squats. 3 sets while watching QI. :p

Got a pair of 12kg kettlebells today, which will help with the range of exercises I can do.

Friday:
    Short run, 5k approx. Just under 27/28 mins.

Saturday:
    Out early for a run again, 6.4k 33mins. Legs are tired.:)

• Advertisement

No run on Sunday. And I missed it. :)

Monday:
    Got out early for a long run. Did ten miles and maybe a bit, Ihr 20 mins. I didnt bring a drink which was a mistake, I will need to on hot days from now on. I was checking out all the houses I passed for an outside tap! :p
    Run was tiring when I was doing it, but felt grand afterwards. Did 15mins on static bike to stretch the legs after the run.

Tuesday:
    Girlie night. 10 mins rower, 10 mins bike, negative chins, kb swings, pushups, planks, situps, then tea and cake. :p

Wednesday:
    Short run 5.85k 27-28 mins, which is a good pace for me. No wonder I was feeling it.

Saturday:

Out at half seven am with a friend. Did 7.8k at an easy pace, cos shes just getting into running. 47 mins. I did a faster 3k afterwards on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 yanav

sounds tough!

Do you mind me asking what sort of job you have? I find one of the biggest problems I have in exercising is finding the time. I tend to do maybe 4 sessions a week. Would do maybe 2X 5k runs a week, and two weights sessions.

Can't really find time to do TWO PROPER sessions in a day, although sometimes would do a quick swim before work and then a proper run after

yanav wrote: »
    sounds tough!

Do you mind me asking what sort of job you have? I find one of the biggest problems I have in exercising is finding the time. I tend to do maybe 4 sessions a week. Would do maybe 2X 5k runs a week, and two weights sessions.

Can't really find time to do TWO PROPER sessions in a day, although sometimes would do a quick swim before work and then a proper run after
    I have a half nine to 6 job, no lunch break and two kids. :) And obviously, no social life.:p

Lets just say, Im busy, and I suppose my level of housekeeping has suffered!

I do my runs in the early morning or just as I finish work before I get my kids. I go out to one class a week, and do other weight sessions from about 9pm till 11pm. I have a routine going now, so it just kinda automatically fits in, like anything youre in the habit of.

Sunday:
    Up at seven, and got out early for a long run, but as I started, it rained torrentially.. I got wetter than I would in the shower. :) still, did 12 miles. Then did 15 mins on the bike indoors. Felt grand all the way around, no problems, could have done more. But am very sleepy now which I suppose is a side effect. :)

Monday:
    Evil circuit class. Squat hell. With sets of slow pushups, star jumps, kb squats, kb swings, deadlifts, getups, skipping, crunches, and dodgeball. My legs were jelly.

Tuesday:
    Girlie night. Got out for a run first, dunno how long, 7k at least.
    Then the usual weights, was concentrating on my arms. 1 busy hour of that.

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Out for a run. New route, approx 6 miles (based on time - 55mins) Miles 3-4.5 were one long dogged drag up a hill. Horrible stuff but good for the legs, or so Im told. :)

Friday:
    Did some weights, mostly upper body, kb swings, pushups, negative chins, get ups, crunches, standing row(?), bench press using kbs 2x12kg. Two and a bit sets, cos it was going for 11 and I was sleepy. :)

Saturday:
    7.8k run. Tried to reduce my time a bit, and was really pooped finishing, nothing left to give, so I must have tried hard. 39.07 dammit. Wanted so bad to break the 38 minute barrier... so, next time... The hills took it out of me, the faster pace meant my legs suffered.

Sunday:
    10.75k run. 55 mins. Felt hard probably cos of the tough run yesterday.

Monday:
    circuit class. Another hard one, all the usual stuff, was sweating buckets by the end and jelly legged again.

Tuesday:
    Girlie night, but Im feeling the strain, sleepy and physically tired, so took it handy. Gentle bike, some upper body weights. Time for some quality rest time tomorrow I think. :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday:
    Not so quality rest time. :) Bloody housework.

Thursday:
    Out for a short run, 6.2k approx, 32 minutes. Not Good. Felt rotten to the point that I shortened the run from what I had intended to do (8k). Have been weak and shaky since. I think my body is trying to tell me to sit down and eat chocolate or something.

Friday:
    Spent the day lumping furniture and gym equipment around. So much for sitting on my bum eating chocolate...
    Once I had the gym moved, did hour and a half of kb and bodyweight exercises, lunges, deadlifts, swings, pushups, etc.

Saturday:
    Out for my 7.8k run. Better than thursday. Just under 42mins, so not fast, but I felt fine. Legs are much better, thurs they were in real agony when I stopped. I musta had a lurg.

Sunday:
    Out for my usual mid distance run, 10.75k (used to be my long run before I got all into this) 55mins. No faster, but didnt try. Am winding down, and not overdoing.

Monday:
    Circuits. Hot, sweaty and hard. But thats the best kind. If you finish a class knowing you couldnt do One. More. Pushup. then thats a good class. :p

Tuesday:
    Rest. Girlie night turned into girlie out for a birthday dinner night.

Wednesday:
    3.75 mile run. Half an hour. Mostly on grass, around our local (horse) racetrack. Hot.

Thursday:
    3.9mile run (approx). 32 mins. Not so warm tonight, thank god. One more run tomorrow, then just Sunday!!

Friday:
    3 mile something run. Hot and sweaty but ok, half hour or so.

Sunday:
    Half Marathon, Clontarf.
    Went out at a grand pace, was doing 4.40ks so I thougth this is gonna be a great race. Then after the beach section, began to feel it and by 10k I was thinking oops, Im too hot, I cant keep this pace. Still managed to be just about 2 mins slower on the return.. but by the last 2k all I wanted to do was puke and I thought Id never get to the finish. Did 1.42.57 when I had hoped to hit 1.41. Still, faster than the last one.

Monday:
    Circuit class. Got through it ok, very different from running so the half yesterday didnt leave as many after effects as it might.

Tuesday:
    Girlie weight night. Took it reasonably easy, cycle, row, weights. Still broke a sweat though.

Wednesday:
    Rest. I need it.

Thursday:
    Out for an early run. 4 miles approx (short route) 34mins. Felt iffy, and did try strides which buggered me altogether, so only did one set. Have pulled my groin and hamstrings and my calves are stiff. Very strange, as Ive done sprints before loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Hey there,

Just wanted to say I keep a regular eye on your log and am continually impressed - your workouts are a model to which women lifting pink dumbbells and contorting on Swiss Balls should aspire!

Well done and keep up the good work.

Ta for the support Celestial, which came in the right week. Struggling with fatigue and muscle strain. :)

Friday:
    One to one session with trainer. Checked out my calves and basic form for running, to see why my legs are in a state. Got exercises and stretches specific to what I need, and a date with a heavy handed physio on Wednesday, which I may not be able to walk after, Im told.
    Good advice on what to target for tg in 3 weeks. Kb swings, deadlifts, chins, rope work, pushups and good ol running.

Saturday:
    Legs are not aok, so did 3 miles on the tready. 25 mins. Felt horrible, but then I hate that machine anyway. Im just trying to be kind to my legs which are horribly stiff since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

celestial wrote: »
    Hey there,

Just wanted to say I keep a regular eye on your log and am continually impressed - your workouts are a model to which women lifting pink dumbbells and contorting on Swiss Balls should aspire!

Well done and keep up the good work.

Ditto!
    Oryx you've inspired me to push my running and myself to go harder and faster than I would have considered on my own.
    So thank-you, and keep it up. :)

• Advertisement

God, never knew Id inspire anyone, but glad to know someone else is getting something from all this... makes me work harder to think Ive got someone watchin. :-)

Sunday:
    Out for an easy run, just went at a comfy pace and on the way back really felt like myself again. :) Did 8.25 miles roughly, took about an hour twenty, but i went out deliberatly not worrying about pace or time, just making sure it felt good. Was good for my head to have a nice run. Did ten mins wind down on bike and some negative chins and stretching my calves.

Advertisement