Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[article] Zep to tour without Plant

• 28-10-2008 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

from Guardian
    Led Zeppelin have confirmed they will be reuniting once again for a full tour. There's only one problem: singer Robert Plant won't be joining them.

After some will he, won't he rumours in the press, bassist John Paul Jones confirmed that the band were auditioning for new singers following Plant's decision not to hit the road again. Jones told the BBC: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert." He also said they were hoping to write new material.

Plant joined the band for an 02 Arena show last year, originally planned as a one-off. But the massive success of the concert spurred on members of the band, who established their success in the 1970s, to consider a more permanent reunion. Their singer, however, had other ideas: namely his relatively successful joint project with country singer Alison Krauss. Plant has recently finished touring their critically acclaimed album Raising Sand. When rumours surfaced last month that a Led Zeppelin reunion was back on, Plant was quick to dismiss them as "ridiculous and frustrating" and asserted he would not be touring again for at least another two years.

His statement, in which he wished the remaining members of Led Zeppelin "nothing but success" with their future endeavours, was swiftly followed by rumours that John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Jason Bonham (son of original drummer John) would tour without Plant. It was reported that the band were rehearsing with singer Myles Kennedy, but there has been no confirmation of a replacement from the band. Jones described the experience of playing the 02 Arena last December as "wonderful", and said: "The most pleasure is making music. I love listening to it, but nothing as much fun as having an instrument in my hand and communicating with people."

So then, is there any point? I note talk of writing new material but if they actualy record an album I'll eat my Zep collection.

Mike

Should Led Zep Tour without Plant 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think they'd be writing new material if there wasn't a plan to record at some stage... It looks like they're looking for a replacement to compliment the new material, rather than replace plant to sing the old classics.

Either way, it will still be the biggest tour in history:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭Penn

if Plant doesnt want to tour for at least 2 years, why dont they wait, write songs, then release a new album and tour when Plant is ready. It just wouldnt feel right without him. Its like Guns N Roses. Axl is still there, but its just not Guns N Roses without Slash and Duff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

mike65 wrote: »
    if they actualy record an album I'll eat my Zep collection.

I wouldn't eat mine but I certainly won't be adding to it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

They'd probably do a Queen and call it Led Zeppelin + whoever does vocals.
    That said, on the grounds that Whitesnake aren't busy, I'd be up for a Coverdale/Page redux. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

they're taking the pi*s if it happens....what a flippin joke...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe they should hire Sarah McLellan

http://www.myspace.com/lezzeppelin

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They should do the same as sabbath and just hire Dio. That's guaranteed not to be a failure!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There is still plenty of vitality to a Zepp tour without the honourable mr. Plant.
    At least for me.
    Zeplin is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Geology

Without Plant it's karaoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Heres Harvey Goldsteins take on it BBC article. Reckon he's dropped as their promoter:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Geology wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Geology wrote: »

That kinda sounds like me after a few pints (as in, not like him at all) @ 7:30 - he's supposed to be screaming at this point, not singing. Stop being such a pussy, Plant, get your balls back and do the ****ing tour.

That said, with or without him, I'm still getting a ticket.

I remember reading way back when word first came out about the O2 gig that they'd be touring under the name of The Honeydrippers, dunno if this is still happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

I remember reading way back when word first came out about the O2 gig that they'd be touring under the name of The Honeydrippers, dunno if this is still happening.

Plant would be included in the honeydrippers, He was in that band with Page in the early 90's (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

MoominPapa wrote: »
    I wouldn't eat mine but I certainly won't be adding to it either

Likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

So plant wants to work on his solo stuff but the band want to do a reform tour.
    To be honest I think they should just leave all this reforming alone. We have had enough wityh Aul Fella Zone and Take that without seeing legend of rock prancing around in their incontinance pants, your time has passed lads, leave it how it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

They're doing it for the money. People are prepared to pay out to see them so why not? Page is passionate about playing the songs again and Jones is probably just doing it for the $.

Anyway the band was over when Bonham died. (And had been on a downward spiral from 1976 - pre-'Presence'.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

They should not reform without Plant, it would needlessly tarnish their reputation. If they want, they should start a new band, playing new songs. But to go on tour as Zeppelin, would be unforgivable.

Sure they reformed previously at Live Aid and Atlantic 40th celebrations and they were dire. By all accounts they were great at the O2 last year so why not?

All of this 'mystique' about bands that should never reform. Why not? If the money is there and they can do it well they're fully entitled to, and should do it. Wasn't it a few million people wanted tickets to the O2 gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Don't care in the slightest.

Think they're the most overated band in history. Just don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I would pay €70 no bother to go see them without Plant but the tickets are going to be alot more expensive and without Page won't be worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

They're the one band I'ld love to see live but this thought should not even be thought!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

It's not hugely suprising, Page has always been the one who couldn't "let go" of Zeppelin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when page and plant toured together they called themselves Page\Plant because the other Zep members weren't there (Bonham obviously because he was dead). Don't see how Page and Jones can go out now and call themselves Zep.

Jason Bonham will probably be on drums so that's a pretty close link to John Bonham (as close as you can get). Plant obviously doesn't mind the rest of them touring under the name of Led Zeppelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

would Paul + Ringo + Sean Lennon + Dhani Harrison = the Beatles? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

no way, definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Apparently, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Jason Bonham are ready to tour with Alterbridge frontman Myles Kennedy.

****ing disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's not 1975. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

+1 Time to move on...

Advertisement