Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midweek Prem League Thread

• 28-10-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Newcastle v West Brom, 19:45----HOME

Wednesday, 29 October 2008

Arsenal v Tottenham, 20:00
    HOME
    Aston Villa v Blackburn, 19:45
    HOME
    Bolton v Everton, 20:00
    AWAY
    Fulham v Wigan, 19:45
    DRAW
    Hull v Chelsea, 19:45
    HOME! ;)
    Liverpool v Portsmouth, 20:00
    DRAW
    Man Utd v West Ham, 20:00
    HOME
    Middlesbrough v Man City, 20:00 --DRAW
    Stoke v Sunderland, 19:45
    AWAY

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

An absolute must win for the Toon tonight. As much as I appreciate the good work he is doing for us, I thought Saturday really showed up JFK's lack of tactical awareness. 3 pt.s and there is a strong possibilty of getting out of the relegation zone (factoring in tomorrows fixtures). That is a must for us now, from a psychological POV.

I'd love to see us line up like this tonight:

Given

Beye---Taylor---Colo---Seb

Barton----Guthrie

Spidey
    Duff
    Charlie--

Martins

Oba proved at Old Trafford that he can play up top on his own, and with Duff, Jonas, and Charlie N'Zog all in support, we have plenty of pace and creativity charging forward. Barton and Guthrie lying deep will hopefully give our back 4 some much needed protection, and both are good enough passers of the ball to play the ball out of our defence, rather than just launching it upfield in hope.

However, I have a feeling JFK will go 4-4-2 with places for Geremi and Shola in the team. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

HOME
    HOME
    DRAW
    DRAW
    HOME
    HOME
    HOME
    Middlesbrough v Man City, 20:00 --AWAY
    AWAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

HOME
    HOME
    DRAW
    DRAW
    AWAY
    HOME
    HOME
    Middlesbrough v Man City, 20:00 --DRAW
    DRAW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

An absolute must win for the Toon tonight. As much as I appreciate the good work he is doing for us, I thought Saturday really showed up JFK's lack of tactical awareness. 3 pt.s and there is a strong possibilty of getting out of the relegation zone (factoring in tomorrows fixtures). That is a must for us now, from a psychological POV.

I'd love to see us line up like this tonight:

Given

Beye---Taylor---Colo---Seb

Barton----Guthrie

Spidey
    Duff
    Charlie--

Martins

Oba proved at Old Trafford that he can play up top on his own, and with Duff, Jonas, and Charlie N'Zog all in support, we have plenty of pace and creativity charging forward. Barton and Guthrie lying deep will hopefully give our back 4 some much needed protection, and both are good enough passers of the ball to play the ball out of our defence, rather than just launching it upfield in hope.

However, I have a feeling JFK will go 4-4-2 with places for Geremi and Shola in the team. :(

That looks like a very solid formation.

From what I saw of the Newcastle game it looked like Sunderland won a lot more of the midfield battle (Guthrie getting booked early and Butt getting injured obv didnt help - I thought Butt should have been replaced by Barton much earlier as he clearly wasnt up to it ) I would imagine a Barton Guthrie midfield should be well capable against a West Brom midfield.

Is there any possibility that it could be the same team but in a more orthodox 4-4-2? (or even a 4-4-1-1 with either Duff or Spider playing off Martins?)

That looks like a very solid formation.

From what I saw of the Newcastle game it looked like Sunderland won a lot more of the midfield battle (Guthrie getting booked early and Butt getting injured obv didnt help - I thought Butt should have been replaced by Barton much earlier as he clearly wasnt up to it ) I would imagine a Barton Guthrie midfield should be well capable against a West Brom midfield.

Is there any possibility that it could be the same team but in a more orthodox 4-4-2? (or even a 4-4-1-1 with either Duff or Spider playing off Martins?)

Agreed. Barton should have been on at HT, as should have Spiderman for Geremi. This, coupled with Joe's baffling decision to swap Bassong for Enrique (why make a defensive substitution, but if he was going to do so, at least bring on Charlie N'Zog who can charge forward from LB) leads me to believe he hasn't got a lot in his locker when it comes to tactics.

Like I said, he'll probably will go 4-4-2, with Shola playing, hence no auxiliary role for Duff or Spidey. I also have a feeling he'll play Geremi who, for the one or two decent balls he whips in, is far too slow, and gets caught in possession because of it.

For me, we need to go with the formation I previously set out, or something like it. For far too many games, we have struggled to get going in the first 20 mins, and go a goal behind. Playing at home, and against WBA, we should have the confidence to go and attack, get the early goal, and build on it. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is what Keegan would do, and this is why we like his football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Newcastle v West Brom, 19:45----DRAW

HOME
    HOME
    AWAY
    AWAY
    AWAY
    AWAY
    HOME
    Middlesbrough v Man City, 20:00 --AWAY
    AWAY

I reckon Pompey will derail Pool this week. Don't think I've ever picked so many away wins before... :p

Newcastle team is in:

Given

Beye---Taylor----Colo---Enrique

Duff---Guthrie---Barton---Jonas

Martins---Shola

At least Butty and Geremi are out. Would've still liked to see us move away from 4-4-2 and go with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, with Shola hitting the bench and Charlie N'Zog getting a look in.

Jeez, Sir Bobby on now, showing his hair loss. :( It makes me a little sad inside that he has to endure the Toon the way they are these days with what he is going through. Mike Ashley could have learnt more in a day listening to this man, than the year he has spent listening to Wise, Jiminez and his other sycophants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Newcastle 1 up. Peno from who else but Joey Barton! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Newcastle 1-0 up - Joey Barton with a peno. Was actually going to put money on him to score first just to piss off one of the lads in the office lol. Did back Newcastle, and fancy them to score again now.

Fair stones to Joey for taking the pen, a nice one at that. He really ahs looked a touch of class in the opening 25, as has Gutierez. Really shows how badly we have been missing that bit of quality in the midfield.

Oba looks a little rusty, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him score a screamer. Duff has looked good, and has played some lovely through balls.

Howay the lads!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Newcastle are playing well and Duff looks lively again, the convict is behaving himself so far.

Spiderman

3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

How we've missed him.

Edit: 2 nil Oba. Was just about to type that we need to convert these chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

2-0 Newcastle, Martins with a soft header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2-0 Newcastle.

24 today. If you believe that............:D

In other news, Kanu has all the lads over for his 21st.

Stekelly wrote: »
    2-0 Newcastle.

24 today. If you believe that............:D

In other news, Kanu has all the lads over for his 21st.
    Lol had alittle chuckle myself when the commentator said that aswell. :)

Watching the HT replays of the goal again. Seriously , what are players payed thousands of pounds a week for if they jump out of the way of headers?:rolleyes:

Pathetic really. "oh no, the hard ball will hit me in the chest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JFK is the man!

Mike

The back 4 caught out, yet again. 2-1

Really need to kill this game, as we should have in the first half.

Duff is overrunning a few of his runs. A couple of times he went by one or two players then kept running at more and loosing it instead fo laying it off or playign through balls to players in better positions.

Same old story, can't defend.

• Advertisement

JFK really playing russian roulette taking off Jonas for Geremi.

You have to wonder why Miller didn't start he is a real handful.

Thank fook for that, hanging on by a inch there.

Good performaces by most, but in particular; Duff, Barton, Enrique, and Spiderman.

But seriously, what the fcuk was JFK playing at. Again, he got his subs badly wrong, and the way we dropped back for the last 20 mins was suicidal.

Still, a badly needed 3 pts, and we've now reached the lofty heights of 15th icon_surprised.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

manager has to shoulder the blame for that second half, we were in almost complete control in the first half, WBA had lots of the ball and played impressive football but with no end product. we were direct and showed glimpses of what we should be playing like. we put together some nice moves. Then after the break we had 9/10 men behind the ball, no support for martins/ameobi or for duff/jonas when they pushed forward.We let them into the game and they gained confidence from passing the ball around us and constantlyreceiving the ball back due to our isolated forwards

When they scored our fragile confidence really showed. Thats what really annoys me, we had an oppertunity to instill some confidence by rattling in few and maybe a clean sheet! i'd love to know what the rational for our second half tactics was, i Mean we are hardly a solid defensive unit!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just looking at tonights games, I'd expect to see the top four all win. While Hull have been excellent so far this season, I think Chelsea have too much class all over the pitch for them.
    I think Wigan and Aston Villa are both going to win also. Wigan have been impressive against mediocre teams and thats what they face tonight.
    I'm a Blackburn fan and we have been very poor in general and I cannot see us holding Villa tonight, I'd expect them to win by at least two goals.

Its an important night in that United, Arsenal and Liverpool are all pretty much expected to pick up full points tonight. None of them can afford to slip up in these types of games. Of course Harry could have Tottenham up for it tonight but I think its just a little to early to see any fireworks from that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just looking at tonights games, I'd expect to see the top four all win.

2nd play 3rd so I am not sure how this will work!

Thank fook for that, hanging on by a inch there.

Good performaces by most, but in particular; Duff, Barton, Enrique, and Spiderman.

But seriously, what the fcuk was JFK playing at. Again, he got his subs badly wrong, and the way we dropped back for the last 20 mins was suicidal.

Still, a badly needed 3 pts, and we've now reached the lofty heights of 15th icon_surprised.gif
    I don't think he did much wrong last night, its the lack of a top goalscorer that was the problem. Even in the second half a decent frontman would have surely wrapped the game up with the chances that Newcastle had. While Ameobi is going to work hard all night he has zero confidence in front of goal and I think he was right to take off Martins when he did, he is only back and he gave him a long run and also he gets to hear the crowd praise him for his goal and his good work and that can only help to build his confidence.
    I agree with you on the best players though, Barton was particlulary impressive given all that has happened and the pressure of last night. I wonder if he is receiving counselling as I noticed there was not the usual scowl on his face at any point. He looked calm, relaxed and in control all night and not one attempt at a reckless challenge.
    Duff is coming back to his best form and looked dangerous all night, he also worked tirelessly and ran himself ragged.
    Spiderman was the most impressive for me last night, he beat players regularly and always looked a serious threat.
    Enrique was immense also.

emc2 wrote: »
    2nd play 3rd so I am not sure how this will work!
    A little picky there, I think you know what I meant, the BIG FOUR then to make you happy.

Eagle Eye, my problem was who he replaced who with. When taking Spiderman off, he should have put on Charlie N'Zog, a player who has tons of pace, and likes to charge forward. I would have left Oba. If he's fit enough to go 75 mins, he ca see out the other 15. However, if a change had to be made, he should have popped another midfielder on, and played Duff as an auxiliary striker.

But my main problem is, a M5 points out, that the fact that we sat back for so long, ad invited West Brom to have a go. Its all well and good to say that had we had a top class goalscorer we would have wrapped it up, but I would say the same about WBA, because on their second half showing, they created more than enough chances to nick the game.

Overall, I just felt the performance reeked of desperation from Joe. We squandered a good opportunity to really build confidence by knocking 3 or 4 past them, and keeping a clean sheet at the back. I don't want to sound like a harsh bastard, but the derby and last night were reasons enough for me why JFK shouldn't get the job full time. If we play like that against Villa, we will get destroyed.

One thing about Barton that I was really pleased t see was that on two occasions, I saw him with his arms around Colocini and Enrique, offering them words of advice. Both of these lads are young, and don't have great English. I am sure they also aren't used to the atmosphere of a relegation dogfight. It was great to see Joey supporting them, and making them feel important, as too many young foreigners have drifted by the wayside with us over the last no. of years.

• Advertisement

Chelsea 1 up Lampard

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Chelsea 1 up Lampard

Mike

That boy really has an appetite for goals. Bad-dum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

carew benched again for villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Any links for the Boro v City game?

That Bentley is ****e.

:)

Definite goal of the season contender from Bentley! Absolute beauty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Stekelly wrote: »
    That Bentley is ****e.

:)

ninja edit ftw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1-0 blackburn

bum agus sack

ninja edit ftw ;)

Figured I should put in the smilie. Certain folks round here need it spelled out for them.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Villa losing 1-0, Warnock with the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

is motd on later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Des wrote: »
    is motd on later?

Yeah, at 11.55pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Gary O'Neil's first ever goal for Boro seals it. 2-0!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 games gone so its got some validity.

PremTable10Games.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cheated out of it again. Penalty my arse.

Advertisement