Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemochromatosis

• 28-10-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there, can anyone tell me if they have come across any iron free cereals that are on the market? I have hemochromatosis and cannot eat cereals with iron anymore. Finding it difficult to find iron free products.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi, this (Newbies & FAQ) forum is for introducing yourself and any questions you might have about the site in general from a new user's perspective. It's not necessarily appropriate for your question, so I'm going to move the thread to the appropriate forum.

I hope you find a decent answer; I don't envy your plight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi OP, is it just iron-fortified cereals you have to avoid or can you eat oats (and thereby porridge)?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

Not a porridge fan so was hoping to hear of other cereals. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

not sure if there are any iron "free" cereals on the market but porridge wouldnt be too high in iron and any iron in it would probably be natural rather than fortified, the same goes for muesli if this is an option?? Drinking a cup of strong tea right before / after the cereal would help reduce the iron absorbed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Try the health food shops, some of them have unfortified rice puffs and stuff like that. Definitely avoid Special K, it's got stupid amounts of iron.

Also, try Oatibix, it definitely has no iron (I just read the label) and shredded wheat and Wheetabix are probably the same. Most of the museli brands should be iron free as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

EileenG wrote: »
    Try the health food shops, some of them have unfortified rice puffs and stuff like that. Definitely avoid Special K, it's got stupid amounts of iron.

Also, try Oatibix, it definitely has no iron (I just read the label) and shredded wheat and Wheetabix are probably the same. Most of the museli brands should be iron free as well.

not sure about oatibix but wheatabix has a lot of iron per 100g and a "serving" of 2 biscuits has 37% of the RDA of iron for an adult and if the OP is anything like me 4 biscuits might be a more normal serving! so thats a fair whack of iron in just one meal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I looked at the label for Oatibix. No iron. Also, the Country Barn or whatever Tesco call its new Value range of cornflakes has no iron. It does have other vitamins, but no added iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

Cheers guys. I'm now eating Oatibix. It's almost the same as Weetabix so I'm happy enough with it.

Advertisement