Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta - brakes stuck?

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

I have a 00 Fiesta for 5 years now. Never had much problems with it. I didn't drive it at all for the past 2 months, so I decided to take it for a spin yesterday.

The handbrake was used while the car was parked - I started it, released the handbrake but the car didn't want to move at all - it felt like the handbrake was still "on".

I have applied more engine force, and I heard a loud "thud" and the car began moving. I drove it around a bit, and it felt normal, but I have seen that the front right wheel is getting extremely hot (brake-wise) - to me it looked like the front right brake is stuck and is still braking.

So, I used WD-40 (probably stupid move!) to try and "oil" it a bit to get it unstuck, and drove the car today to work. When I got out, I noticed that the wheel is super-hot and there was a smell of burning emmiting from it with a bit of smoke.

Now, car, as far as I can see, handles/drives/brakes as normal, but I am unsure what could case such extreme heat in the wheel - is it WD-40? Is the brake possibly still stuck?

(I have booked the car for the service on friday, but maybe I'm just being paranoid)

Any advice is appreciated,
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Brake calipers is stuck.
    Sometimes a quick bump with a hammer can solve the problem.
    If you drive the car in this state you will wear your pads on one side more than the other and the heat could cause your brakes to fail. Best get it to a garage ASAP if you intend to use it until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭blackbox

...and lay off the WD40!:D

but seriously, do you think it is safe to drive a car where you know the brakes aren't working properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I just had a similiar problem with my car in Sunday, when I changed the new pads and brake caliber was so badly stuck that brake was getting really hot and it did give out some smoke as well.

I was able to get it going using old pads, but no matter how much work I did do with it, even the proper tools etc it was and still is a bit stuck, works fine with old pads but not the new ones.

So I have to change it in the future.

It is just that part alone is 160 euros + work so it is not actually cheap, but you definitely want working brakes.

So I think with Fiesta as well, brake caliber, pads and work is not actually very cheap and you have to change the brake fluid as well + get the air out of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sbp wrote: »
    So, I used WD-40 (probably stupid move!) to try and "oil" it a bit to get it unstuck....
    Darwin award application filled out? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

You sprayed WD40 on your brakes?!! Im sorry but that nearly made me fall off the chair. Your lucky you didnt go up in a ball of flames!! :eek::eek::eek: Apart from which, it slightly defeats the whole physical concept of braking i.e. friction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Mr.David wrote: »
    You sprayed WD40 on your brakes?!! Im sorry but that nearly made me fall off the chair. Your lucky you didnt go up in a ball of flames!! :eek::eek::eek: Apart from which, it slightly defeats the whole physical concept of braking i.e. friction!

Clearly the brake calliper has ceased... a mechanic might be able to loosen it up and make sure its operating correctly... worst case you could get one from a scrap yard...

WD40 say no more.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

Yah, car wont be driven till friday when its off to garage...ty for yer help

WD-40 - indeed a top-class moronism in action > oh well, it happens to some of us (no need to rub it in more).

Advertisement