Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toll beating methods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Stekelly wrote: »
    When was tailgating ever cool, acceptable or the done thing if your a petrolhead?. It is and always was stupid and dangerous.

Going by the rotr definition, to be tailgating at 5kmph youd have to be pretty much stuck to the trucks bumper.Is crashing into the back of a truck ok as long as dotn hit it too hard?
    Savman wrote: »
    Jesus would you cop on, the guy never said anything about tailgating at 5kph until he was pushed on the issue. That leads me to believe he's most likely telling fibs to cover up his stupid attitude to avoiding a mighty €2 toll. Suggesting that this is in any way linked to car enthusiasts or some sort of high horsery from the rest of us is pure bollocks.

Can't believe there's actually eejits out there who will condone tailgating just to save a couple of euro yet consider themselves a petrolhead. Pathetic.

You have to be close enough so the camera won't get your front numberplate. Anyone can do it safe enough in slow moving traffic. You don't have to be touching the truck for gods sake.
    God help us from the health and safety police

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Is there any other capital city ring road in Europe that charges you a toll to use it. I think not

The M25

I don't like it but its hardly unique to have tolled motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

my cars flawed front reg seemed to work and i'm ashamed to admit i'm happy with it. Its poorly fitted so faces more down than straight also there is some black mark from where water or something got in and cameras find it hard to read my reg.

I know this because i recently forgot to pay on time and rang up. I was told i cant pay untila letter comes to my house which i was told takes 2-5working days... That was 3 weeks ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Jesus would you cop on, the guy never said anything about tailgating at 5kph until he was pushed on the issue. That leads me to believe he's most likely telling fibs to cover up his stupid attitude to avoiding a mighty €2 toll. Suggesting that this is in any way linked to car enthusiasts or some sort of high horsery from the rest of us is pure bollocks.

Can't believe there's actually eejits out there who will condone tailgating just to save a couple of euro yet consider themselves a petrolhead. Pathetic.

Someone using the bridge every day to get to work, at €2 a time each way for (say) 5 days a week and 48 weeks a year, pays €960 a year on top of his annual licence, duty and VAT on his fuel etc etc. It doesn't surprise me that people will go to some lengths to avoid what is simply another government rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ART6 wrote: »
    Someone using the bridge every day to get to work, at €2 a time each way for (say) 5 days a week and 48 weeks a year, pays €960 a year on top of his annual licence, duty and VAT on his fuel etc etc. It doesn't surprise me that people will go to some lengths to avoid what is simply another government rip off.

Halve the price with Cork. Make them pay €1 to pass through the Jack Lynch Tunnell.

:D Waits backlash from the rebels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

andyeire wrote: »
    The M25

There are no tolls on the M25.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Quint wrote: »
    Typical the way the motors forum has gone. Someone admits to tailgating a truck at 5kmp and everyone slates him, quoting the ROTR! How sad to see a once decent forum turn into this!
    ditto. hardly spend any time here any more for the very same reason. luckily for the PC 'bend over and take it' brigade they don't have to worry about m50 tolls due to the number plates not being visible to the cameras when they're all the way up there on their high horses. :rolleyes:
    andyeire wrote: »
    The M25

that's not a toll on the motorway, it's a toll to use the dartford bridge/tunnel. you can happily drive round 99.9% of the m25 all day (and it might take you that long) without paying a penny (unless something has changed since I was last there).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lumen wrote: »
    There are no tolls on the M25.

This is accurate only because the road drops designation to the A282 for the tolled section! Its still an integral part of the M25 loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'm surprised Run_to_da_hills hasn't posted here yet, or has he been banned!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MYOB wrote: »
    This is accurate only because the road drops designation to the A282 for the tolled section! Its still an integral part of the M25 loop.

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about that bit. Essex is a scary place, best avoided :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Jesus would you cop on, the guy never said anything about tailgating at 5kph until he was pushed on the issue. That leads me to believe he's most likely telling fibs to cover up his stupid attitude to avoiding a mighty €2 toll. Suggesting that this is in any way linked to car enthusiasts or some sort of high horsery from the rest of us is pure b*****s.

Hold on a second. My first post on this topic was short and went into no detail. The point of the post was that if your reg is hidden by a truck in front of you then the camera will not pick it up. When someone questioned it, I explained that I tested it to see if it works in slow moving traffic, I said 5kph, but on recolection I think I was actually stopped just before the gantry the traffic was that slow. I never at any stage condoned tailgating, what I said was that it works to avoid paying the toll and pointed out that it is a flaw in the system. I pay on average €15-€20 in tolls per week on the M50.

When you are in slow moving traffic Savman do you leave a car lenght for every 5kph you are doing??? Because if you do then you are the only person in Dublin who does.

The fact that the system is not able to pick up car regs if the car is close to a truck is a flaw in the system whether you like it or not. I have no interest in avoiding a €2 toll by driving close to a truck, my initial point was to prove that this is one of many flaws in this ridiculous system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ART6 wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me that people will go to some lengths to avoid what is simply another government rip off.
    Whoah whoah whoah, I never said I was a fan of the system, it's obviously so full of holes that they've made a right tits of it so far. Beat it if you will, I'm all for that because the operation is so inept, but encouraging driving too close to a truck in front of you is madness. Sure, some of us can do it with ease but unfortunately there are already enough clueless drivers out there without them needing any more encouragement.
    leon8v wrote:
    I have no interest in avoiding a €2 toll by driving close to a truck, my initial point was to prove that this is one of many flaws in this ridiculous system.
    Fair enough, as I say I agree with the crap system just not with going to any lengths to avoid it. There has to be a line drawn somewhere between smart and silly.

For all it's bad points, it sure beats that poxy old toll bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Hammertime wrote: »
    can youn imagine how many decades it will take them to

1. Find out about ANPR
    2. Agree to buy it
    3. Buy it
    4. Manage to get it working
    5. Figure out how to use it
    6. Train all Garda on using it
    7. Settle the strike action because they haven't been given more money for using it
    8. Realise that by now its ten years later and its defunct technology and abandon the idea altogether

can only imagine how long it will take them to introduce this technology alright :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭EM2008

I acidentally avoided my tag being charged by switching lanes as I was going under the bridge thingy that beeps it...I must have just missed the two sensors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Quint wrote: »
    Typical the way the motors forum has gone. Someone admits to tailgating a truck at 5kmp and everyone slates him, quoting the ROTR! How sad to see a once decent forum turn into this!
    +1. I only come in here now if a thread pops in a a search. The better-than-thou fairies'd drive you demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

leon8v wrote: »
    There are no cameras taking pictures of the back of your car. It was something Eflow came out with to try scare drivers, obviously worked with some. If you look up at the gantry there are only cameras facing at the front of the cars. Tailgating a truck works a treat. Have done it myself a few times and works well, no charges for the times I did it. Some truck drivers will even slow down a bit to allow you get in tight.

To be honest man it sounds like you did more than to just test it,

And at 5 km/h i doubt a truck would be slowing down even more? this might indicate you might of been travelling a bit faster?

Nobody likes paying for this craic but doesnt condone dangerous driving,

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The person you dont want seeing this will see you doing this on the M50 and report your number plate to the cops. It will be too late when they come knocking on your door. Beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The Dartford crossing costs 1 pound sterling ( about 1.50 ish .....I know it may be less or more ) ..... we now pay 3 euro for the west link

ITS A RIP OFF pure and simple.

They used the automated system as a back door to increase the charges by 50%.

If you can sneak behind a lorry then fair play , by the way this does work , I know a number of people who have accounts and it does not register. You don't have to be that close.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

The person you dont want seeing this will see you doing this on the M50 and report your number plate to the cops. It will be too late when they come knocking on your door. Beware!

ah this yoke is lightening fast, they havnt a hope of clockin you.
    worst case ontario its a copper that sees you and you just put the boot down.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've a feeling it woukldn't handle our far larger reg plates at all, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have you got one frank? How does it work? It's not easy to tell from the page, does it cover the reg with a black sheet or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Horgan wrote: »
    To be honest man it sounds like you did more than to just test it,

And at 5 km/h i doubt a truck would be slowing down even more? this might indicate you might of been travelling a bit faster?

Nobody likes paying for this craic but doesnt condone dangerous driving,

No but I have seen it being done plenty of times. unfortunately I have to use the M50 at least once a day so avoiding one or two tolls has little effect on my monthly bill so isnt worth the hassle.

To be totally honest I took the bit about the trucks slowing down off another forum I was looking at yesterday. It is a commonly known fact that tucking in behind a truck works for avoiding the toll and judging by what is on various forums it seems to be reasonably common practice and apparantly truck drivers dont seem to have a problem with it.
    Most of the time when I use the M50 now the traffic flows at decent speed but if I am ever using it again in slow moving traffic in the evening and there is a truck about I wouldnt have a major problem doing it again, I am sure that will set the slipper and pipe high horse guys on here off but let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The Dartford crossing costs 1 pound sterling ( about 1.50 ish .....I know it may be less or more ) ..... we now pay 3 euro for the west link

You only pay €3 if you choose to. Theres plenty of cheaper options.

Plus they are not competing with other foregin roads so I dont see why the price comparison is relevant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

leon8v wrote: »
    There are no cameras taking pictures of the back of your car. It was something Eflow came out with to try scare drivers, obviously worked with some. If you look up at the gantry there are only cameras facing at the front of the cars. Tailgating a truck works a treat. Have done it myself a few times and works well, no charges for the times I did it. Some truck drivers will even slow down a bit to allow you get in tight.

Yup, it's pretty cool!!! Sometimes they even slow down enough so that you can physically attach the front of your car to the back of the truck. You can then knock your engine off and be carried down the road by the truck for free, which saves on petrol costs too!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

JJJJNR wrote: »

or get this -

http://www.speedflip.com/

disclaimer - NIF would not condone such an act of blatent numberplate trickology.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At this point I sort of feel compelled to point out that both tailgating and obscuring your numberplate is ILLEGAL ...just for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I'm surprised Run_to_da_hills hasn't posted here yet, or has he been banned!? :D
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

peasant wrote: »
    At this point I sort of feel compelled to point out that both tailgating and obscuring your numberplate is ILLEGAL ...just for the record.

Quite. But how do people respond to rip off legislation imposed by cynical politicians between elections? Write to your TD? Waste of good paper. Go to your TD's clinic? Again, waste of time -- he has no influence whatever and as a party man wouldn't use it if he had. I accept that tailgating is madness (but not illegal), but the Regulations were not applied as a result of public demand. Instead they were inacted by a government for whom stealth taxation is a matter of routine. The M50 toll is a national scandal and in my view anything anyone does to defeat it is a victory for us anarchists:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

+1. I only come in here now if a thread pops in a a search. The better-than-thou fairies'd drive you demented.
    Oh boo hoo, don't let the door hit you on the way out. If that's the extent of your contributions, I don't think we're missing much. Back to AH with ye.

Advertisement